JPG format pictures

Posted
Rating:
#258191 (In Topic #14105)
Hello,

Has the forum recently stopped accepting .jpg files ?

It seems rather strange, most things I have loaded into my threads are that format as that's the native format of my digital camera, all of a sudden tonight no joy and I don't see it in the list of acceptable formats in the download menu  :???:

Is this me forgetting or has something changed ?

Regards

Roger

Last edit: by fourtytwo

Roger OO DC Steam
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Nothing has changed as far as im aware ? Ill check
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Test jpg

Jpg's fine, I'm afraid the whisky has taken a hit though  :hmm

Try again ?

Posted
Rating:
To upload an image remember to use the full reply window not the "Quick Reply" pane.  You should use the button above the window to "Upload new photo for insertion" and NOT the Attachment button below the window - that will not accept jpg files.  Images should be uploaded to the site gallery not attached.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Rick & Matt. Well I have used the straight upload into the thread many times not wanting to clutter the gallery with my junk however I will give it a try.
Using the upload at the bottom it goes through the motions but after returning from the file menu it shows the new filename but does nothing never mind how long you wait. If you tell it to post the message anyway it goes blank for maybe 10 seconds then the following popup appears
Error    Sorry, invalid attachment extension.

« Back
BUT the Back button doesn't work, just takes yo back to the homepage.
I will post this before trying the post to gallery method so I don't loose the post again!

Roger

Roger OO DC Steam

Posted
Rating:

Ahh this was the Upload photo for new insertion button at the top! Could it just be I have forgotton how to use this website  :brickwall If so I am sorry to have troubled you  :hmm

Roger OO DC Steam

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Lol thanks Rick, I NEVER use or have attempted to use the quick reply let alone put in a photo via it. I was worried for a minute that something we had been working on had beggered things up  :shock:
Roger I wouldn't worry, there are a few issues with the Forum software that we are working through, some bits don't work, or don't work as they should.
  The software we are using is old/ obsolete,  very creaky, and no longer supported. We are on one of the early versions which  becouse of the way it has been 'Customised' over the years, is virtually impossible to update. Martin (Martin Wynn) has for years done a sterling Job keeping things running, but at the moment is involved in a mammoth, time sensative job of his own, So we have managed to draft in someone who has limited knowledge of Forums but extensive knowledge of Databases and keeping 'Legacy' systems running way past their sell by date.

We are working in the background to carry out necessary work so the Forum can have, and HAS  a future,
 and occasionally we break things ( thats why he has the name breakage)  :mutley
The reason I'm saying this is :- WE MAY have broken it ! So it's good to hear from members if something doesn't work. Rick and others have been with the forum a long time, know a lot of the 'Odities' and what's been broken for a long time, and as in this case 'knowledge is King' and he has saved hours of time looking for and at something that has been broken for years.

There will be major work that has to be done in the near future and I would encourage all members to check out the forum maintenance notice at the top of the recents page,  Follow the instructions there and keep an eye for updates  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt
Diatribe over  :tongue

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Psssst eventually I might actually get some moddeling done !  YeeeHaaaaaa!!!  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Funny coincidence this was asked now. Some time ago Sol told me that I could

"right click on the photo and select copy, then go to the thread & then paste"

if I wanted to insert a photo e.g. for POTM but not want it in my gallery. This worked fine and again I posted my vote that way yesterday doing just those steps. Note: the picture was from inside the YMRC environment.

Next I wanted to add an external pic and I tried the same by selecting from my snip tool (Ctrl-C). Doing this I got the three pages of characters that PeterMac was producing a while ago. I got out of jail by selecting it all in the edit window (Ctrl-A) and deleting.

Maybe that occurs because I'd not first saved the file to a jpg format and it was in a raw form, now I think about it. Will try and report back.

Update: No still got same outcome when I selected an external .jpg and pasted into editor but it works fine as below when I select an image from within YMRC's environment .

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Right click, copy and paste gives you a direct link to the picture stored in the database IF its Stored Within YMRC, I'm not SURE but I THINK if the picture is hosted outside YMRC you get a link from whichever site that picture is hosted on ? and some sites have built in software that gives you a mile long code. . Anti copying software maybe ?
I've no time to investigate lol.

I would suggest where possible, upload to the forum and THEN link, it makes our life easier in the long run.

P.S. don't worry about Gallery space I would rather Images  were stored internally which makes life easier going forward  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Thanks all for all the tips, I have a way that works now and no I don't expect perfect forum software I was just confused (happens often, with or without whisky)  :???:

Roger OO DC Steam

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Apparently after whisky I just SOW confusion around me !  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Oooh. Look what just arrived. I got lucky in the ballot for a first-release bottle. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Well as with the initial thoughts of the qualities of a newly arrived loco, we want a full in depth report on the first tasting  :hmm.  :cheers
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
[user=1753]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
Oooh. Look what just arrived. I got lucky in the ballot for a first-release bottle. 

Showing another merit of the Pre-Order process I guess

Posted
Rating:
[user=2170]Colin W[/user] wrote:
[user=1753]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:

Showing another merit of the Pre-Order process I guess
Maybe - though I hope in a way never to have to enter a ballot for a sought-after model even if deamnd outstripping supply might be good for the hobby industry.
On the tasting - I'll let you know "dreckly"  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
………………………………………………………………

Doing this I got the three pages of characters that PeterMac was producing a while ago…………………………………………………

Hmm - and without so much as a "Thankyou" …………….I also checked my bank account but nothing there either !

What makes you think I sent you those 3 pages FOC Colin ?   :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Of course you won't drink it Rick   :shock:

Is it numbered ?  In a few years time, that could be worth a pretty penny ………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

What makes you think I sent you those 3 pages FOC Colin ?   :mutley
LOL, don't think that's what I said. Anyway it would be more likely FOB, ex your keyboard!

Seriously, wasn't it your good self getting lots of alphanumeric strings in posts you were trying to make a little while ago or is my memory failing me?

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Of course you won't drink it Rick   :shock:

Is it numbered ?  In a few years time, that could be worth a pretty penny ………….
Not an individual bottle number.  That might have made it worth keeping.  And it might well have cost a great deal more than the £48 paid.  It does carry the slightly cryptic number R-01 meaning "Release 01" however.  

It's very good.  Slightly peaty, slightly heathery, a hint of smoke and a lovely long smooth finish.  Doesn't beat the single-cask whiskies I have had the privilege to sample but those really do come in at a premium price.  Up to £25,000 a bottle.  I was closer to the £3,000 a bottle price tag but drinking by invitation :lol:

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.