General discussion area

Posted
Rating:
#256517 (In Topic #14027)
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

An area for general discussion and the picture of the Month competition

Please use this area for general discussion, topics that don't belong in the 'General Railway discussion' area below, and those "I'm not sure where this belongs" topics.
It's also the new home for the 'Picture of the month' competition.

Please note this is part of the Public Forum area, and can be viewed by guest visitors of ANY age so please keep this in mind when posting.  If you wish to post something for members only or anything age sensative please use the Shunters Return area below.

Want to Shout? Rant? Let off steam? Share some Humour ? Use the room 101 or Humour sections in the Shunters Return BUT be prepared to be Moderated !

Barchester

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
If what you want to say doesn't need a full Topic feel free to just add your post to this one

If you want to view other General discussion Topics or create a new one go to :-

General discussion Topics area

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
  As we are invited to post here for items not really appropriate for responses elsewhere, so here goes:

Hints & Tips No. 2397
DIstinguishing Yards from Mainline
By Leslie Pace
I used two thickness of cork under my track, a thicker cork tile under my main line areas and thinner cork sheet in my yard areas.  The height difference along with different/thinner/older/ recycled  ballast gives a gentle undulation to the layout and is typical of a lot of yard vs main line areas in the world.

I like 2397, as it follows prototype and is probably not widely known.

I know that Trevor discourages member’s responses to ‘hints and tips’ and I agree with the reasons why, so here’s the rub, we don't have a ‘like’ or ‘thumbs’ up button to register our support?

Could this be something Breakge could comment on?

Just a thought.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
  Heard the good news that that enormous barge full of containers, has been un-glued from the Great East Passage, huzzar!

Should be loads of new models in the shops soon!

I wonder if Heljan’s GWR railcar is amoung them?

Cheers,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
 As we are invited to post here for items not really appropriate for responses elsewhere, so here goes:

Hints & Tips No. 2397
DIstinguishing Yards from Mainline
By Leslie Pace
I used two thickness of cork under my track, a thicker cork tile under my main line areas and thinner cork sheet in my yard areas.  The height difference along with different/thinner/older/ recycled  ballast gives a gentle undulation to the layout and is typical of a lot of yard vs main line areas in the world.

I like 2397, as it follows prototype and is probably not widely known.

I know that Trevor discourages member’s responses to ‘hints and tips’ and I agree with the reasons why, so here’s the rub, we don't have a ‘like’ or ‘thumbs’ up button to register our support?

Could this be something Breakge could comment on?

Just a thought.

Best,

Bill

Dont ask Breakage about registering support. . . HE supports Manu !!

Understand what your saying Bill and sometime in the future this could be something to look at ? At the moment it's gluing bits back on, greasing a few nipples to try and stop the strange grinding noises and trying to keep the wheels on. Rest assured as things move along we hope to do more  :thumbs

Alan has a list. . . He keeps waving it at me  ;-). I've set fire to it three times. . . The Bu@@3£ Has Photocopies !!  :It's a no no

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Good to know Alan has some photocopies left.

Alan has a list. . . He keeps waving it at me  ;-). I've set fire to it three times. . . The Bu@@3£ Has Photocopies !!

Clearing up some old boxes recently, we found some carbon paper and the bride, who has a better memory than me, had to remind me what it was used for.  Bl@@9e heck, youngsters today don't know they're born! I remember in my day when . . . . .

Take care,

Old git in France,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Carbon paper eeeeee them were the days, why begger up one copy when you can begger up two or three at once !  Then some spoilsport invented the photocopier, took all the fun out of it as ANYBODY could begger up hundreds of copies at once  :roll: 
 :mutley
Cheers. 
Matt. 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Martin Wynne is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The height difference along with different/thinner/older/ recycled  ballast gives a gentle undulation to the layout and is typical of a lot of yard vs main line areas in the world.
There is a technical reason for that.

Wagons don't roll out of sidings onto the running lines if it is uphill.

In the entire history of railways, gravity has never failed once. :)

Martin.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Martin Wynne is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
here’s the rub, we don't have a ‘like’ or ‘thumbs’ up button to register our support?
The convention on forums which don't have a Like button, is to post a reply containing simply:

+1

Martin.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=1984]Martin Wynne[/user] wrote:
here’s the rub, we don't have a ‘like’ or ‘thumbs’ up button to register our support?
The convention on forums which don't have a Like button, is to post a reply containing simply:

+1

Martin.

+1  Thanks Martin  :)

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
The height difference along with different/thinner/older/ recycled  ballast gives a gentle undulation to the layout and is typical of a lot of yard vs main line areas in the world.
There is a technical reason for that.

Wagons don't roll out of sidings onto the running lines if it is uphill.

In the entire history of railways, gravity has never failed once. :)

Martin.

That's interesting Martin - I didn't know that but it makes a lot of sense………….the reason for the different levels I mean,  not the fact that gravity hasn't failed …..

P.s. It's also a fact that, in "carbon paper days", there were 2 types latterly - 1 type for hand written copies and another for typed copies.  I still have some of each …….somewhere "in a box" along with all the other "might come in useful one day" things I posess !

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:

+1

Martin.

+1  Thanks Martin  :)

Cheers

Matt

Of COURSE I forgot to add, please DONT go and put a load of posts in Trevors hints and tips with +1's, kinda defeats the object of. . . Well NOT posting replies to Trevors Hints and tips !   :It's a no no

:cool wink

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Ha, I was tempted Matt, but the power of independent thought kicked in, so I just added a :thumbs instead!

Be good,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Ha, I was tempted Matt, but the power of independent thought kicked in, so I just added a :thumbs instead!

Be good,

Bill

Behave yourself Bill, I ALMOST went and checked

( I did, you KNOW I Did).   :mutley :mutley :mutley.  :pathead

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
 +1
I thought you might.

Best,

Bill

:mutley

Posted
Rating:
"The most users ever online was 595 on Wed Mar 31st, 2021."

Really?

.  .  .  or perhaps an early April fool?

Otherwise, it looks much like a Victor Meldrew moment!

Bill  :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
We were running some tests Bill, we wanted to see just how fast Alan could open and shut the door !  :mutley :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
It didn't help that Peter was late in and caught his trouser braces on the revolving door handle
In out in out in out in out, he was just a blur !!!

Posted
Rating:
You forgot " and you shake it all about" ………

Given the current state of my back, I'm going nowhere quickly - revolving door or not !!!

No Easter egg hunt for me this weekend…..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
What is everyone’s favourite Chocolate?
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.