Dapol /. Airfix kits with metal spoked metal wheels?

Posted
Rating:
#256325 (In Topic #14011)

Wheels that are Spoked, three holes, or whatever?

Hi All     I am asking different questions from the recent kit question. Older Airfix kits I believe had plastic wheels. Where the Dapol kits have metal wheels but the mouldings are the same and may still be bent in all directions, so care has to be taken or one will never get the wagons to run properly. But I am worried about the wheels, spoked, three holes, or whatever.obviously the metal wheels are a vast improvement over the plastic wheels, but, do I have to trust the maker and use what comes in the packet, or do I have to look at photos of wagons and purchase them separately? Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I suspect Dapol will have got it right Kevin.  The older wagons, which form the bulk of their ex Airfix range had spoked wheels - all mine certainly had. 

You're right to question the switch from plastic because my experience has shown they also need bearings otherwise they'll quickly wear the plastic housings.  I use brass top-hat bearings.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. I have some bearings , probably the type that you mentioned. The spoked wheels are more characterful, but, I don’t know which ones are nearer the mark.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, the wheel types varied - have a read and look at the images
LNER cattle wagon - Steve Banks

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   Thank you very much, I will do that. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  This is another reply, as it reminds me of the time when I was a guard on the District line of London Transport. During the same week? approximately in the 1960’s, three trains, which had spoked wheels became derailed when a wheel or wheels collapsed became derailed, in the rush hour, fortunately for me I was off shift and was not working. Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Personally I don't like Dapol wheels. The tyres are straight  across instead of being slightly conical which is what keeps them running nicely as in the real thing. The flanges are nowhere near right, so I'd advise opting for Hornby or even Ultrascale if you have enough money and time to wait.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete.   Thank you for your reply. I actually didn’t notice that, as I expect them to be correct. So if a train ran around a tight bend it would be more likely to derail, fortunately on my shunting layout my trains wouldn’t run at such a speed.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
That's something I hadn't noticed Peter but assumed it was the old mouldings causing the sometimes wierd running.  

I must check that - it's not a big job to change the wheels ……..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Even the Hornby ones have risen exponentially in price.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Kevin.  In this thread of an Airfix mineral wagon I used either Hornby or Bachmann wheels with brass top hat bearings.
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=16566&forum_id=150&highlight=airfix+mineral+wagon

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  Thank you for your reply. I have got some brass top hat bearings, in a previous “abandoned “ attempt I had trouble with fitting them, and I got too clever by drilling out the hole a bit, but, went too far. Would you please advise me how to fit them. Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hello Kevin.  Work out the depth to which you want to drill by measuring the depth of the top hat bearing.  Wrap some sellotape around your drill bit with one edge the same depth from the end of the bit.  Drill the axlebox until the edge of the sellotape touches the rear of the axlebox.  Put a dab or glue into the hole and push in the bearing.  Wipe away any excess glue.  Hope this helps.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  Thank you for your reply. I just hope that I find the primer soon. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Primer ?

Why do you need to find the primer to fit top-hat bearings Kevin ?   :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I think that's referring to the Art of the Compromise thread Peter, as Kevin is priming himself for some modelling.

Go for it Kevin and good luck.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Now you are getting me confused, You are talking about two different topics. Apparently when painting plastic kits it is recommended to prime them first. As demonstrated by a Swedish chap that you may know?Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill I am on “ catch up “ and as usual trying to do more jobs than I have hands, at the same time. Scenery, building all sorts, and getting nowhere fast. “ Prototypical” just like BR. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I know the feeling Kevin and to give yourself a boost of confidence, how about picking just one project and finish it all up, as it will put a big satisfied smile on your face and have you rearing to go on the next one!

Good luck,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Been there, done that, sold the T Shirt Kevin as it was doing my head in !  Take Bills Sage advice, pick one thing, take your time, and finish it. You WILL get a great sense of satisfaction and can THEN move on to another part of the larger project  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.