NCE Powercab

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

I have done this before, but, I have had too many bumps on my head

OK Kevin , let start at the beginning.
I am assuming you want to change the address from the default short address of 3 which all decoders have at the start and that is what you are reading at the bottom of that first page - the address is Short & asks you if want to set up the ADR ( meaning the new address) and if you do, press 1 then go to the next page to change it to either a new short address or a long address.

Now if you do not want to change an address but just run a loco that you have previously either left as 3 or changed to a new number, just put it on the track, press Select Loco button, press the digits representing the address then Enter & it should run.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That last bit in the manual pictured shows that the active address in their example is set for a short address - yours will tell you what is active for the current loco being read, so if yours says "long", then that's what was set up on that particular locomotive. 

To set up the address at this step, press 1, allowing you to change the addresses (short and long). If you are satisfied with what is already set up, press enter.

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your patience as a non user. When the handset has been set up one presses Recall to find the Loco that one wishes to control. Select Loco is different. And where I am confused is instead of short address it goes straight to long address  . Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you for your Ron for your reply. As I wrote in my reply to Matt, my handset goes straight to the long address. Maybe it is because I have already set up these Locos. And I had written down some of them, but not all, now it would seem that I have too many Locos? You cannot too many Locos? But there are certain limits on a Plank. Which leads me to the question where to go next?  Should I just leave some in their boxes? I don’t really want to buy any more stuff?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  Thank you for your reply. Does that mean I am being told by a lump of plastic ( Handset) . Oi you, you have already set up this Loco? I will have to be certain which number I used in the first instance, and should I use the unit number, or something else. You seem to have so many Locos and you use Powercab, or do you select certain Locos for each film.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Jeff.  Thank you for your reply. Does that mean I am being told by a lump of plastic ( Handset) . Oi you, you have already set up this Loco?

Yes, but by pressing 1, as per my previous post, you can change the address.

I will have to be certain which number I used in the first instance, and should I use the unit number, or something else. You seem to have so many Locos and you use Powercab, or do you select certain Locos for each film.   Best wishes Kevin 
I have many locos and units. The ones in use at any one time are stored in the NCE recall memory slots.
I have several rules for choosing numbers, because not everything falls conveniently into one numbering scheme. Even so, there are occasionally duplicate numbers, so I have to work out a new rule for those cases, or renumber one of the offending items.

Rules include:
Locos or units with low numbers use short addresses. This also applies to SR locos numbered in the 300XX series, such as M7 30051, which takes the short address 51.

Locos with longer cabside numbers such as steam locos or some of the European locos use the last four digits of the number (not including check digits), thus Bulleid 35007 becomes long address 5007.

BR TOPS numbered locos use the class number and last two digits, skipping the middle digit. 66 022 becomes long address 6622. Unfortunately, that clashed with 66 522, so I had to choose a different scheme there - I renumbered 66 022 to 66 089, so it took long address 6689. Class 455 835 becomes long address 5835

Pre-TOPS diesels and electrics had one to four digit numbers, so those are easier - D7658 becomes long address 7658.

Industrials are numbered in their own short address scheme with numbers below 30, so they all get short addresses. No. 8 clashes with LT Bo-Bo electric loco No. 8 'Sherlock Holmes, so that has short address 108 - NCE can use addresses up to 127* as short or long addresses, you choose.

Other clashes can occur - Merchant Navy 5012 clashes with class 71 electric E5012. At present both use long address 5012, but the electric will get renumbered eventually (easier than renumbering and renaming the MN).

This all works with my Power Pro 5 amp system, but the Power Cab deals equally well with this.

I keep a spreadsheet listing the address, loco/unit cabside number, functions available (e.g. F0 - F3), a brief description of the item, the brand of the model, the brand of the decoder and the number of pins or 'HW' if hard-wired.

* NOTE: if using long addresses below 128, the NCE will put a star before the address on the display to indicate it is a long address.

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  Thank you for your reply. I have EMU’s which of course don’t take part in shunting operations, they were purchased for my London terminal dream, before I realised I didn’t have enough space. And they would just run by.The shunting locomotives, 08, has four digits from the cab side, L 94, is the simplest L=12 which makes it 1294.
I have some Hornby Locos which are still DCC , and others which have decoders . But something has happened?
Those numbers didn’t pop up on the screen of the Handset, when the Loco was put on the track, when I pressed recall.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ok Kevin a new dawn a new day !  Lets try a few steps in bite sized chunks

First some help from Mike (16A). Sadly no longer with us, but his words live on in the forum. He said :-

"Kevin

(1) Decide which locos you want to use for the day (forget recall stack for the time being).

(2) To select first loco Press 'Select Loco' + Enter a loco number + Press 'Enter' and you have control of that loco so, set it running.

(3) Whilst that one is running 'Select Loco' + Enter a loco number for a second loco + Press Enter… you now have control of the second loco.

(4) To regain control of the first loco either repeat what you did at (2) or Press 'Recall' and the first loco you chose will be the second on the list, scroll down to it, then press 'Enter' and you have control of the first loco again.

The recall stack is a list of the last six locos you selected/accepted - nothing more, nothing less.  Powercab adds a new number automatically everytime you select a loco and at the same time it gets rid of the sixth number.

If you select loco No 99 six consecutive times and then go look at the recall stack, it will show a list of 99, 6 times.

You can use either method… whichever suits you best…..".     

( Back to me) :- Wise words from Mike So follow his guide and try one of your locos to see if THAT works.

Ok so maybe you cant remember the locos number ?    

Step 1)…….. (please remember bite size chunks, cuppa tea in between !) :-

Using Mikes notes above, lets TRY  3  as the loco code, maybe its reverted to factory set code, or try the 4 Diggit number from the cab side of the loco . . . . Didn'twork ?..no problems :-

Step 2)  Rubbing my Crystal balls, I can tell you that you WERE using 4 diggit addresses and that you had

An 08 diesel set to code 8691

A Pannier Tank set to code 1294

A Pannier Tank set to code 6422

Unfortunately when I asked about the Thumper me balls went cloudy and I got no reply !

But in theory it should be the units 4 digit number ?   If its a five digit number try dropping the middle digit. So again using Mikes wise words above as a guide try entering THAT and see if it works.    didn't work ? No problems  :-

Step 3).   So we need to find out what the loco has been coded as, Lets turn to a guide that was put up by Nigel
( BCDR) For you in a previous topic. It's a guide to setting the loco's code for the first time, but if you follow his guide it should also just show you what code the loco has NOW 

LINK :-     http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14935&forum_id=10#p270587

Give that a try and see if it tells you what code is already programmed into the Thumper, then go back to Mikes guide and try THAT code.

And remember, 3 Steps - that should be at least 3 Cups of Tea ! And one afternoon snooze  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply. The annoying thing is that I have written down the numbers, some of which don’t require writing down. And I have still got it wrong ( short term memory?) . But the best thing about your idea is the bit about sitting down with a cuppa, alas, I will have to clear a space for me cup, on the work bench that was supposed to be part of my baseboard, which is now work space/ junk table, if you know what I mean?  Best wishes Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.