NCE Powercab

Posted
Rating:
#256151 (In Topic #14008)

I have done this before, but, I have had too many bumps on my head

Hi All    You won’t believe this? then again you may, believe it as I have aired my problems before. It is how to get my NCE powercab to control my Locos. And I am certain that I have previously asked this same question . I am so eager to catch up with the simple task of running my Locos, it maybe just the dirty rails, but then again I had a shunter running up and down trying some part built kits without any trouble. First of all how many different Locos can I control with the Powercab, and I am not bothered with the short address, unless it is necessary, I would prefer to use the long address, to begin I have to plug it all in, then press the programme escape four times followed by enter , then I get mixed up? Any help would be appreciated. Best wishes Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi All    You won’t believe this? then again you may, believe it as I have aired my problems before………………………

I don't recall you asking any questions before Kevin - have I missed something ……………………. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't have the Powercab myself but I wonder why you want to use long addresses - it's not difficult but does very slightly complicate things.  I normally use the last 2 digits of the loco number as the address, only resorting to long addresses if I have 2 locos with the same last 2 digits …………
I'm sure a Powercab user will be along shortly to guide you through it.   :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Not me Peter, used one once, too many buttons to press / menus to navigate, Now if its a Z21 then I'm your man, well I KNOW a man, who knows a man, who's your man  :thumbs
Ditto Peters response Kevin, someone who KNOWS will be along shortly (Hopefully) :cool wink

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
If in doubt, read the instructions!

Oh and also clean the wheels as well as the track!!

B

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Now Bill, this IS Kevin, He DOES have the instructions SOMEWHERE, now Kevin where did you put them ??  :hmm
I'll look for an online link for you bud  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Site staff

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac , Matt, Bill.   It is true, but, everyone that answered this before must be browned off. I was studying the manual, then I googled it, I just get more confused the more I read. And it usually works so well, that I was beginning to think that it is me. And it was working well during this very week, less than seven days ago, I better make certain that I do all the cleaning, again. Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, don't Google, just read the manual slowly and do the actions as you read it.
The Power Cab has the ability to store 6 addresses if you have the latest version.

Re the loco address - that is stored in the decoder once you have programmed it & if you had set the address before & run the loco, it should still be there.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Before doing anything else, Kevin, make sure you are using the flat, 6-wire cable, and have it plugged into the correct* side of the PCP panel. The red LED should light up if there is track power.

Make sure you only have one loco/unit on the track when programming.

Press Prog/esc button the 4.

To go through the sort of NCE Wizard, press 1. 
Press enter to acknowledge each of the initial readings of the decoder manufacturer code and version number.

That should lead you step by step through programming the loco addresses and other parameters you might wish to change.

* If you have the LED at the bottom, the correct side will be the left socket (I prefer the LED on top so the leads don't obscure it, so "correct" on mine is the right socket).

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply. I am “as silly as a sackload “. That should be my mantra.   Forget Google.Read the Manual.    Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  Thank you for your reply. The thing about it, that I cannot believe is that I was using the Powercab earlier in the week. I cleaned the rails with IPA as well. I just cannot remember and once I get back into it, it should be a piece of cake? Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron and all interested parties. I know that I have done this before, but,   Every time I arrive at step 7.         The screen says ACTIVE ADR: LONG the line below says SETUP ADR.   1=YES.    As I am certain that everyone that owns a Powercab is aware.  But the Manual says ACTIVE ADR:  SHORT.  Which begs the question why the difference and it has worked before ,but, not now.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Kevin I'm mildly confused (my normal resting state !) Are you simply trying to run a loco that has already been programmed ? OR program a new loco ?  From a quick  'flash' read of the  first pages of the manual it looks like you are talking about programming ?
Answers on a postcard  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply. I am even more confused ( my default state). I will read the first pages again.But, when I placed an old favourite “ Gronk” on the track the screen was blank, every Loco I have has been run on DC first, before fitting a decoder which proves that it is not the Loco. Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Ok Kevin it's just that when you were talking about steps 1 through 7 and saying Active address and setup long address =yes i ASSUMED you were wanting to program a chip. My read of the ONLINE instructions was that yes it first says active address long but going to the next steps asks if you want to program short address then moves on to long address. I THINK that this will read and tell you what address it has at the moment ? And give the option to change it ??   MAYBE the paper manual you have (if thats what your now reading from ?) Is written differently from the online version ??
I'm trying to help here but pretty much swimming in the dark as I've only ever USED the NCE once, very briefly and that was parrot fashion, under instruction so I never really got a handle on it.

I take it there is a way of switching from programming to operation and as Ron mentions, a way of recalling the last 7 stored locos ?

I'm swimming against the tide wi me feet tied together here bud  :mutley

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply. “ Drowning not Waving “ . And I really like the idea of DCC. It is that as I have said before just too many bumps on the head :???: . Tomorrow is another day. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

In order to eliminate variables, which is the essence of fault finding, only use the loco which was last working in you previous running session, as that one reasonably should still work. We simply don't know for certain which other of your locos also work yet, so leave them be for now.

Then try again tomorrow. Start with just trying to run that last loco you last ran and do everything carefully and slowly, just as Ron and Jeff said and it would be an excellent idea to write down exactly what you do, missing nothing out and then post your results and then someone familiar with Powercab can offer further advice.

Take it easy, have some tea and sleep well.

Tomorrow is indeed a new day.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Cheers Bill. It is all so easy to use when one gets to play/ operate on a regular basis. Maybe I should get another bump on the head it does seem a long time getting  back to how I was before my bypass?   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Ok Kevin, Sorry I'm lost. I THOUGHT you were simply trying to run a loco you had programmed before ?
That section seams to be about programming a loco for the first time ? OR re programming it ?

Looking at the picture of the handset what does recall loco do ? Or select loco ? Isnt THIS what you need to do to recall on of the possible 7 locos storedcin memory ? Or to enter the number for one NOT in memory ?

What am I missing ?

Cheers

Matt

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.