Dentith Bridges

Posted
Rating:

OO Fictitious Layout depicting my boy hood memories of Warrington/Sankey circa1950 - 69

[user=2199]Andrewdonald[/user] wrote:
Thanks Colin, I am not ofay with digital photography at all and yes, iPhone is the culprit. I will look at the edit process and see if I can fix the issue that way or revert to my little digital camera that is in the back of the wardrobe somewhere  :lol:

Thanks for the tip and cheers,  Andrew
:cheers
Updates to my post are done.

Regarding cameras, your iPhone is likely to give you better results (it pains me to say) than an older digital camera. Somehow the iPhone technology has mastered handling a wide ranges of contrast and depth of field much better than you average camera so I'd persevere and sort out your orientation settings. I've a Canon T2i Digital SLR and a mini Canon but rarely use either for my posts, images or video.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
... and the phone camera can get right down to track level.... which is a lot more difficult with my digital bridge SLR.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Success!  Thanks Colin,

Cheers  :cheers

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
… and the phone camera can get right down to track level…. which is a lot more difficult with my digital bridge SLR.

and if admitting to the iThingy being better than a proper camera isn't itself enough, then having a "selfie stick" which doubles as a mini cordless tripod is surely "A Bridge too Far"?

When I was given one I was 1) almost ashamed to admit ownership of the item 2) could think of no use, that was until I found how handy it is for recording videos in hard to get spots on the layout :mrgreen:.

The Cordless Blackberry wifi rechargeable remote is the little module plugged into the handle at front, very useful for remote activation of the record or photo button on your device

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Yeah… I need one of those. …. and a little bean bag…

Sorry Andrew… back to you.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I use Fast Stone ( free) as an image adjusting system & it works well for me

and what is wrong in not using these cameras - they were used for years & years…

:pedal

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi guys, re iPhone orientation, not sure if this will help at all but a lot of what we do is taking photos pointing downwards, tilting and angling to get the best picture. This can change the camera orientation without it being obvious ?  A short video might help explain better than I can.   

https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/03/how-check-iphone-camera-orientation-photos-videos/

Also to edit photo orientation open the photo, click on edit, click on crop, ( like a small picture frame) and one of the options should be rotate, rotate as required and then save

HTH

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the photo tips Gents, I should be able to produce a better product going forward - says he with confidence……….

Getting back to the matter of glues, I have to say that having gone to the expense of "importing" the Copydex into Aus, the sound of the wagon on the rails glued down with the Copydex is exactly the same as on track glued down with the PVA :hmm It is interesting that running the wagon along a section of track that is simply placed on the foam track bed, not glued, produces a more muffled/softer sound, not as harsh. What I think is happening is that the glue forms a hard surface between the sleepers and track bed, resulting in a "harsher" sound being reflected. Just for interest I will try a section of track that is secured using only track pins and see if we get a significant difference.

I may be chasing ghosts though, as I have no idea what the "normal" sound is for a layout.

Cheers, Andrew
 :cheers

Posted
Rating:
Hello Everyone,

I hope all of you had a safe and reasonable 2nd half of 2021, that Father Christmas was generous and the New Year is settling in, despite the ongoing virus issues. In early June 21, I traveled to Wagga Wagga NSW, to attend a model boat regatta and to sell two of my 1/72 scale boats. All went well, but due to a snap lockdown I was not able to cross the state border  back into Queensland. I have not been back in Queensland since  :brickwall.

In the intervening 7 months my house in Mudgeeraba was sold, everything put in storage, and after 5 months my wife was able to join me here Maitland on the banks of the Hunter river in Hunter Valley wine region NSW. We have bought a new house in Muswellbrook, 100km further up the Hunter Valley, still wine wine region though  :doublethumb, and we will move into our new house in March.

All a bit dramatic and stressful, but the worst is over - we are closer to 6 out of 8 Grand Kids (eventually a 2.5 hour drive, pretty short by Aus standards), the house is just brilliant and I have been allocated a massive room for my layout - very pleased.  :Happy

I imagine it will take a little while to settle in to the house, first agenda point will be construction of a workshop in the back yard, so I am hoping to be rolling out the boards done so far in about June I think. As soon as I have access to my PC I will reowrk the Anyrail plan to take better advantage of the additional space. The fiddle yard work i think will remain and I should be able lengthen the roads and maybe add a couple of more.

So, apologies for the amount white space, but we should be back in action soon.

C :cheersheers, Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Hello Everyone, I am afraid that my estimates of time to get things under control were wildly optimistic. We are now into May 2023 but I can say the majority of the mandatory big projects are just about reaching their conclusions. The main sitting room and the main bedroom have had complete makeovers, including repairs to 12' high ceilings, cornices and walls, repainting, new curtains, new lights (period chandeliers) and so on. All had to be researched etc., as the house is 160 years old or so, still young by UK standards, but pretty old here in Aus.

After over 8 months waiting time to get council approvals and then supplies, my "Shed" is complete. 8m x 8m slab, a 6 x 6 train room and a 2 x 8 workshop, all under the single roof, and a 6 x 2 "porch with wooden (merbau) deck, the deck was laid by yours truly.

So here are some pics of the train room, a complete shambles at the moment, but it will get better soon, now that I have more time to devote to the main hobby.

IMG_4123.jpg IMG_4124.jpg IMG_4125.jpg
I will eventually line the walls of the shed up to the first horizontal rail. Backboard will be attached to the tables prior to them being positioned close to the side and back walls with "just enough" space to get around the perimiter.

Dentith v6.4.jpg
The above Anyrail picture shows the layout of the lower level and the plan of the boards. As you can see it is a modified u shap layout. There will three layers above this level. Instead of helices, which take up a lot of room and don't show too much running, I am instead going to have two track, 1 up and 1 down, following the U shape of the layout, climbing up to the top level. This will provide plenty of visual running and the opportunity for a mid level branch line station before reaching the top level. I will share more of  the rest of the plan as the railway progresses.

I will share more about the revised technical infrastructure in technical post.

Hope everyone is well, again apologies for the long delay and warmest regards,

Andrew

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,

Apologies for the long wait since my llast post. There I was thinking that retirement would be all beer and model trains, but alas that is not the case. Anyway, in the last coiple of months I have been able to crack on. Base boards for the lower level complete, the main line down and up loop complete and work is progressing on the fiddle yard and sidings. Hopefully you will see a number of pics below that show the progress todate. I have been able to run a loco from the the start to the end of the up-down loop - very happy with that. Finally, I would like to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a safe, prosperous and healthy New Year.

Andrew

Layout1.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layout2.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layout3.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layout4.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layout5.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layout6.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Layut7.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Looking good Andrew  :thumbs3:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Ed
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.