Mr Soundguy

Posted
Rating:

Looking for advice on his projects

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I've had the MXULFA for a month or two now but, other than updating my Zimo decoders, haven't used it much.  There's a lot to learn, particularly for a dummy like me,  and I've found it quite difficult to sort out all the details about what it does and how.  Instructions seem to be spread about quite a bit.  

A good, comprehensive, "starter guide" with a glossary of terms attached would be useful for the likes of me ….  As per usual with electronics, the designers expect us to know more about these things than many of us do …… :???:

The supply situation caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit doesn't help either.  I'm trying to get my head around the technicalities and the German language at the same time and my head hurts ……..
Having just retired in the last two weeks, one of my goals s to use some of my time to learn some new languages. I already have some French from my time in primary school in England and high school French in Australia, so I can refresh that a bit, but I also want to get into German and Danish. I have made small starts in both of the latter. Translating something technical like the Zimo manuals may be a step too far, so I will have to rely on English versions for that. 

:lol: :lol:

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I've had the MXULFA for a month or two now but, other than updating my Zimo decoders, haven't used it much.  There's a lot to learn, particularly for a dummy like me,  and I've found it quite difficult to sort out all the details about what it does and how.  Instructions seem to be spread about quite a bit.  

A good, comprehensive, "starter guide" with a glossary of terms attached would be useful for the likes of me ….  As per usual with electronics, the designers expect us to know more about these things than many of us do …… :???:

The supply situation caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit doesn't help either.  I'm trying to get my head around the technicalities and the German language at the same time and my head hurts ……..
It's as though they've sprinkled the instructions from a height, but persevere and you'll find it's all right once you get the hang of it. The R button on mine stopped working and I had to send it back to Austria for repair. I was a bit nervous about losing it in the post, but it came back with all the buttons replaced and now as good as new for a reasonable charge. I've never put my mind to learning another language. Most of the kids at my school had a lot of trouble with English, so no effort was made to teach another one.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2089]Ssamm[/user] wrote:
Hi Peter

It's a bit of both.

I've found some shops who use the ESU decoder. Another Pete (peterm) is a bit of a wiz with Zimo decoders so I am trying to stay with Zimo.

As for the particular sound file I have no real preference for a particular file and would be relying on the company's reputation.

I see Digitrains sell a 153 sound on a Zimo decoder. They describe it as 150/153/156. I have now also had a look at Youchoos. They don't have a 153 but they may have a 150 sound

Dealing with any UK shops from Oz is a real task and not for the faint-hearted so I tend to stick with the tried and true.

Cheers
 Evan
Hi Evan,

How are you getting on with the Class 153 sound project I sent you?

Best regards,

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Paul
I have been away for a while and am still learning about your project. I also had to get it off peterm  :lol:.

But already I can say it is very impressive with good crisp sounds. Congratulations.

I have been familiarising myself with the cold/warm starts and some of the driving techniques you have built in and really enjoy them. They add a whole new dimension to my 'playing trains'.

I mentioned earlier that I was not happy (being polite) with the class 43 sound from Youchoos and would like to replace it. Do you have a sound file for the class 43?

Cheers
Evan

Last edit: by Ssamm

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.