Cutting Ruler

Posted
Rating:
#254643 (In Topic #13956)
After a few years of use, the aluminium ruler I use for cutting out Scalescenes kits etc. is showing severe signs of wear on the edge, which is no longer true along the full 30mm length.  Another problem is that, because it's just a profiled aluminium ruler, it had a nasty habit of slipping unless heavy pressure was exerted on it whilst cutting.

I resolved to buy a proper "cutting ruler" rather than use just a steel/aluminium ruler.

As I'm sure you'll all know already, these "cutting rulers" have non-slip pads underneath, a finger guard and usually, a flat face to run the knife against rather than just an edge.

I'm similarly sure that most of you know these "cutting rulers" can come at huge cost - during my search, I saw them at just under €100 !!

Scrolling through the pages on Amazon Germany, I found this beauty: 

At 45 cms long it has everything I need - non-slip pad, finger guard and a hefty cutting face (which also helps keep the knife at right angles to the material being cut).

In black andised aluminium, it was delivered to my door within 3 days for just €12.95.  If I'd signed up for a 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime, it would have cost me just € 8.95 ……………..  Amazon Prime from Germany doesn't work in France - unfortunately !!

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice find Peter.
I will have a look on Amazon.es to see if I can find a similar bargain.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:

SENRISE Multifunctional Straight Ruler, 1 Non-slip Aluminum Alloy Ruler, Drawing Tool (45cm)

Same cutting ruler but under a different name by the looks of it off Amazon in Spain at 12.42 €

And for you guys in the UK, type in Senrise ruler in Amazon and you will pick it up for £10.19.

Last edit: by thespanishdriver

Gary

Posted
Rating:
[user=2045]thespanishdriver[/user] wrote:

SENRISE Multifunctional Straight Ruler, 1 Non-slip Aluminum Alloy Ruler, Drawing Tool (45cm)

Same cutting ruler but under a different name by the looks of it off Amazon in Spain at 12.42 €
Yep - that looks identical Gary - is that price delivered ?  If not, then it's slightly more expensive than mine was in Germany but only by the delivery price ………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter,
I can get a Prime trial at the Spanish site and then cancel it afterwards but then I would be paying from a Spanish bank account. The Prime would include delivery.
Whilst all of my layout is now packed away in boxes whilst we wait and keep waiting for a house sale, I am sure I could fit in a new cutting rule as like your old one, mine is also a bit worn from all the card and balsa cutting.
I am missing my building and running trains round but it is nice to read articles and keep in contact with you guys from time to time.
Thanks for the info on the rule by the way Peter.

Gary

Posted
Rating:
£18 for the 30cm version here in UK, but it certainly looks good.  I gave up on aluminium rulers (yes, I'm old school, cannot call it aluminum, which is now the correct scientific spelling…. grrrr) because I kept gauging them, so have a thick and solid steel rule, but this looks the business.  Good find Peter!
Michael 

Posted
Rating:
"Aluminum" ?  - that may well be the new scientific way of spelling it but it's also American  

Neither "New" nor "American" exist in my vocabulary - I'm old school if nothing else ………………….. 

They never could spell anyway !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I know Peter.  I freak out at school when the scientists say it.  Also, Sulphur is now Sulfur!  Grrrrrrr!!!!
Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
"Aluminum" ?  - that may well be the new scientific way of spelling it but it's also American  

Neither "New" nor "American" exist in my vocabulary - I'm old school if nothing else ………………….. 

They never could spell anyway !!

And how do you think I manage over here ? :roll:

I sometimes have the keyboard option, which I take, of choosing  â€œ Canadian English”  but no such luck with spell check ( other than turning it off ) Both Windows and Ipad get very excited about Centre and Computor.

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sorry guys,
I am old school as well and it is aluminium. I just copied and pasted the ruler description.
No offence meant.

Gary

Posted
Rating:
Aluminium will always be aluminium to me, or ally of course, like sulphur, kerb (on the road) never curb unless you curb your feelings. Lorry not truck. That's it, you've got me started now. I'll be ranting for the rest of the day now.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
Aluminium will always be aluminium to me, or ally of course, like sulphur, kerb (on the road) never curb unless you curb your feelings. Lorry not truck. That's it, you've got me started now. I'll be ranting for the rest of the day now.
Stand by for a post from Chubber!
 :pedal

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
One that gets up my nose is definate/definately instead of definite/defininitely, don't think that's so much USA/UK thing though.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
You're just trying to wind me up again now. It was there property/it was their when I looked. I went too Hastings, etc etc.  :twisted: 

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I didn't no their was more than one Hastings ………………………  :cool wink :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect all the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I didn't no their was more than one Hastings ………………………  :cool wink :cheers
 :mutley

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Good one Jeff.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
That's brilliant Jeff - I've borrowed it to send around some of my address book.
I say "some" because there may be a few who don't recognise any mistakes ….. :mutley

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.