Update from Barney Buffer

Posted
Rating:

Back into modelling OO

Hi Barney,

Are you thinking of baskets similar to those shown behind the shunter here? : https://www.watercress.co.uk/historical-facts

It would be simpler and quicker to make them yourself from paper, distressed, painted and weathered to suit your needs. I doubt if you'll find a precise solution in threads on the forum, as you need to find photos of what was used in your period, hence my very quick look on the web. Try searching for UK watercress producers in the 50s and see where it takes you. It should be fun.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill, thanks for your ideas, I did think about having a go at making them myself. I have an idea now, thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron
Faversham used to have quite a large watercress growing area, so I got in touch with the local history society for photos.  I know they were still in use in the 40s because my mother remembered them…. but they became a housing estate in the 70s, remembered in the name of roads such as Cress Way.  Sadly, the History society could not furnish me with pictures, but did recommend:

History of Watercress - The Watercress Company

However, one elderly neighbour told me that the baskets were wicker, and had a lid - so like a big trunk.  Looking at the above website, it appears there were a number of versions, so you might find a suitable model to adapt, or, as suggested, create your own.

Regards

Michael 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the link refering to the history of watercress. I did see a photo of the type of wicker basket with a lid, it reminded me of the pinic hampers we used to see. I did find a site who used to do them but discontinued making them a while ago. Having said that I just remembered seeing a photo in the link a type of washing basket being used.  :hmm

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

56Ib hampers. Get some "basket weave" paper and make some. There are other ways of course.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

Hornby have wicker baskets if you can find them - R8677.  Plus these from Holland http://www.realityinscale.com/Wicker-Basket-Set-8pcs/en

There some photos here https://astonrowant.wordpress.com/ewelme-watercress-beds/

The last link shows how the various bits of wooden barriers and floats were used when harvesting from a chalk stream (as opposed to a farm).

I'm trying the lazy way out (definitely el cheapo). I'll let you know if it works,

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the link showing with the video Ewleme watercress beds and Shepherds hut pub. It brought back many memories of the time I spent while serving at RAF Benson.

Barney
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.