Dismantling a Layout

Posted
Rating:

Sad Times

Thank you for the soldering tips guys.
Why did I not think of leaving the wires on? They will be put back into the same place!
If I really have to, I will move back into the smaller house for a while. It has a garage so it will accommodate a small layout to run the loco's round or backwards and forwards.
I really do appreciate all the words of wisdom.
I have been decorating all this morning so it will be back to dismantling this afternoon - leaving wires attached.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gary,

After a few recent deconstructions following a move and downsizing, you have my sympathies. My two cents worth? Use what space you have available, but rather than build planks or standalone mini-layouts, go modular! Consider building some modules that cover aspects of what the big layout will be. Minimizes any wasted effort. Then incorporate them in the big build when space becomes available. Branchline station or terminus, goods yard, canal scene, gas works sidings, etc. It's what I'm currently doing, in this case a country branchline through station with a small yard that fits in a total of 10 x 1 foot using storable modules with no compression. Station, goods shed, signal hut, coal and cattle sidings. Started this after reading Mikkel Kjartan's blog on building module scenes rather than a layout. Somebody else who is also challenged for space (lives in a flat). http://farthinglayouts.blogspot.com/

For those interested: No-clean solder wick. Already coated with flux. I get mine from Amazon. Amazing stuff. Gets rid of excess solder or use it for desoldering a joint. The other useful item is a solder vacuum pump. Prime the pump, melt the solder, apply the pump, press the button, and the liquid solder is sucked up. Requires a bit of ambidexterity. Again, I get mine from Amazon.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
First 5 points removed. A good dusting of warm water and let soak for 30 minutes. Paint scrapper underneath which is when you find the odd track pin that escaped removal.
Once up, soak in clean water for an hour and the ballast and glue comes off easy with an old tooth brush.
Left to soak over night in fresh water just get get the odd stubborn bits of glue off.
Now resting in the hot sunshine to dry.
Thank you for the tips.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Yes indeed Gary - let them dry in the hot sunshine - that's something you won't get in Blighty !!

On the other hand, the silver lining is that, when it's cold and wet, there's not much to do other than play trains …………. ;-)    You don't have that advantage in Spain.  :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Yes indeed Gary - let them dry in the hot sunshine - that's something you won't get in Blighty !!

Pardon me, but we were getting temperatures up in the 30's a week ago.  Mind you, we are back to our normal Summer now - cold and wet! :cry:

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

Pardon me, but we were getting temperatures up in the 30's a week ago.  Mind you, we are back to our normal Summer now - cold and wet! :cry:

Terry
I believe you Terry but I was talking centigrade …………………………. :roll: :mutley

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.