On Chubber's cutting mat

Posted
Rating:
Thank you, Bill, I too remember the annual  torture of the Impot..

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
A brilliant little log shed Doug - dry too so it will comply with the new "log regulations" …………

You've mentioned using the corrugated leaves of cardboard in the past and I did try it once - with appalling results !  Do you soak it in water or do you add a few drops of "softener" and do you soak it until the leaves separate themselves or before ?

I think Miss Gerda Brijj's odd-job man needs to get busy with the bitumen paint whilst there's still some "wriggly tin" left to paint …………. :cheers

Any sign of the big choo-choo opening up after the new "unlock" dates were announced ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Crikey! Sorry Peter, didn't see this reply as I still can't get notifications and been a bit busy at the big railway, four 0800-1630 days have taken it out of me and my post prandial snooze turned into a 3 hours snore-fest!

Same again this week as they want to run a complete [buffet carriage included] train Friday 14th lunchtime as a snagex prior to the 17th public opening and only three of seven covid dividing screens are in place as I type.

Anway, corrugated. Extreme care over a choice of card is needed, clearly the finer the better and preferably with one  face covered with a shiny water resistant finish, my old favourite being the Lidl dishwasher tablet boxes, but keep an eye out, the box my new Nokia 'phone came in has even finer corrugations.

See  http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=15699&forum_id=11&highlight=corrugated+lidl

I'll check that has come out..

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Doug, let me know if you get a notification about this post ? And might be worth checking in your spam folder ( If you dont already ?)  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Yuppppp!GOT IT!

Thank you 

Doug 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Good stuff  :thumbs. Let me know if there are any others you think you should be getting notifications about but arent. In fact before you tell me, scroll down to the bottom of the offending topic, just below the quick reply box on the left and see if the the button there says 'Watch Topic' or 'Unwatch Topic'  
 If it says 'Watch Topic' then you ain't watchin it and wont get notified  :cool wink
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Noted

D

Posted
Rating:
   Yup! That's worked. It is possible with great care and the right card to further peel away the wrinkled layer to get scale[ish] thickness corugated sheets but you need Uhu spirit based [smelly] glue to stick it as it goes flat very quickly if waterbased glue is used, and as for a stick glue….
   I generally just do a few tiny dabs of Uhu on the surface to be covered and place the mini shets with tweezers. To get an inside and outside corrugated, simply do two layers back to back as in the wood store.

Scroll to the end of this link for a lamp hut using the Lidl card Post #0

Posted
Rating:
I think that the Scalesscenes T29 is as far as I'm going to go in watchmakers scale.
Fabulous as always and the link to the cottages was a lovely blast from the past. Where did the cottages end up?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Marty,  missed this, I still have the  cottages, SWMBO wanted to keep it.

D

Posted
Rating:
Wise woman… as well as gorgeous. 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Marty, missed this one you flannelling old g1t!

D

Posted
Rating:
I need a barn that will be partly low relief, and buried in a bank [no, the 'erf and stones sort, not the money sort…] but nothing came to mind until a recent drive out where as usual we got lost with the help of the Prat Nav!
Anyway, herewith my scratchbuilt answer with John's lovely textures.

The carcass in 5mm foam board, roof from Paketo Cornoflako and the  doors from my own 'plank' texture on watercolour paper. Hinges are black  cartridge paper rubbed over with dry watercolour pencil to imitate  rust, and the TX48 Squared Rubble dented here and there. The TX29 aged corrugated I cut with a wriggly lower edge and very slightly crumpled it before sticking it down around the edges and in one or two places in the middle. Sadly it hasn't stayed rumpled enough. I chose to make each half of each door separately so that they could be posed slightly awry. The roof ends are T35 Plain Clapboard. The 4mm x 1mm woodstrip lintels are set into the face of the walls after the texture has been applied, I think it gives a better impression than sticking on a texture.

Hope it gives someone a few ideas,

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
Very nice Doug

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Yep, I like that.  :thumbs

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you  both!

D

Posted
Rating:
Just a little thing, I had sought to add some bits and pieces to my barn, but I could not find any straw bales that I would consider using so after several attemps I have tried balsa wood strips sanded with very coarse [60 grit] paper across the grain and rubbed with a little pastel dust.

Not too clever at a distance of 4", but from 18" not too bad.

Has anyone any other suggestions, please?

Doug

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Just a little thing, I had sought to add some bits and pieces to my barn, but I could not find any straw bales that I would consider using so after several attemps I have tried balsa wood strips sanded with very coarse [60 grit] paper across the grain and rubbed with a little pastel dust.

Not too clever at a distance of 4", but from 18" not too bad.

Has anyone any other suggestions, please?

Doug
Doug.
Luke Towan has this on You Tube so might be of interest to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky39Y1P02A4&ab_channel=LukeTowan

Tony.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Thank for this Tony, I also found the following link for the square bales.

Doug 

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
A super barn, Doug.  I really like the doors and the wooden beam, they really add to the authentic look.  You have also got those different textures working really well together.  The bales may be quite primitive, but work extremely well at even a short distance away, so under the three foot rule are very convincing.
Michael
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.