On Chubber's cutting mat

Posted
Rating:
Lovely attention to detail Doug.
Fabulous door, wooden beam lintel over the downstairs window, tiny glazing bars in the upstairs window, outward sloping stones on the bottom course, recessed window frame on the lean to, interesting chimney…. it just goes on. Characterful and masterful.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you,  Marty, it just seemed to happen! Working on a 4mm scale hand pump now..

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
A quartet of posed up pictures to see how its coming on, building to be bedded down, matting spray needed, some more 'gardening' and some clutter/woodpile perhaps, driveway to gravel and grass. I have bent over the roadside fence a little, it all looked a bit too straight.

I'm going to get at it with some static grass, hopefully, then move on to the retaining wall where the big white bit is, and build up some fencing/stone walls along the road.

I noticed the evening sunlight effect on my neighbours trees, so I've had a go with a piece of mirror, reflecting the sunlight from the skylight, I quite like it but it is a bit over exposed.although it dhows up the roses.

Hope you haven't fallen asleep,

Keep safe, poop-poop!

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Super job Doug, its really coming to life and I love the way the road  'disappears' behind  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
A brilliant job and a lesson not only in modelling but also placement and design.  The disappearing road is just perfect and the cottage looks like it has always been there.  I love the little details too, like the stones and pump.  Lovely modelling.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Superb modelling. I can still remember scenes like that from my childhood. No I wasn't around in the 30's, but in those days the scenery and cars etc didn't change too much. You've got the balance between the layout scenery and the back scene just right.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Matt, Michael, Peter, thank you! Sometimes it is difficult to know if you're getting  there,

Doug

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
A brilliant job and a lesson not only in modelling but also placement and design.  The disappearing road is just perfect and the cottage looks like it has always been there.  I love the little details too, like the stones and pump.  Lovely modelling.
Michael
Michael says it all! You have managed to make the road 'disappear' quite convincing.

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Matt, Michael, Peter, thank you! Sometimes it is difficult to know if you're getting  there,

Doug
You're definitely getting there.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:

Doug
  Hi Doug,

It’s not a case of just getting there, more that you have arrived and been resident for some considerable time.

Wishing you continued happy modelling and with many thanks for your inspiration and showing us what we never thought possible.

Very best.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thats exquisite Doug …..Michael has said it all.

I must confess I quite liked the Mark 1 model, before it failed the stamp test but this is a quantum leap :thumbs

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your generous  appreciation, despite having just given myself a very short haircut with the Bisto clippers I shall soon have to get a  bigger cap!!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Superb stuff Doug. Really classic Chubber work (I was going to say Wow! but I refuse to use the word.)
Wow! anyway.

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant Doug.  :thumbs
Terry

Posted
Rating:
So! Shaun! You used the 'W' word you little tinker…

Terry, thank you.

Doug

Ps, I don't seem to get any notifications lately,  peeps must think I'm being rude.

D

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Still getting them here Doug, hence my reply, might be worth checking your spam folder ? Every now and then mine suddenly start getting dumped in there
Mind you, if your NOT. Getting notifications then . . . . .  :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue.   :mutley

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Today I made a little [30mm x 18mm] woodstore for the cottage, based on that we had when we lived at Milland, W. Sussex.

I got the 'corrugated' from the packing that a Nokia 'phone was packed in, soaked it well and peeled off the fine inner layer, it's about the thickness of a Rizla paper so deformed nicely for the roof.

I thought I'd show you the inside now as when it's in place it won't be visible. Miss Gerda Brijj's odd-job man  makes sure there is a ready supply of correctly sized wood inside for both the fire and kitchen range.

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
Very nice Doug.  :thumbs
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Thank you, Terry. At the rate things are progressing I will have to adopt  Longchaps adage, (I hope it will never be finished)

Posted
Rating:
  Well it’s all about smart time management and while little and often usually keeps me happy, I managed three rows of roof slates on the goods shed today.  However, we also started our French tax returns this morning, which rather took us over.

Mind you, If I’d produced that gem of a log store in a few days, I’d feel pretty pleased with myself.

Well done Doug and as usual, thank you for sharing.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.