On Chubber's cutting mat

Posted
Rating:
Great work, and good tips as usual Doug!
I think you are already aware of http://www.textures.com, but they are worth a mention for those who are in need of images of doors, windows, walls, and well, really, textures…

Keep up the good work,
 Shaun.

It might be:  Textures for 3D, graphic design and Photoshop!

Last edit: by gastwo

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's the badger! Thanks Sean.

So, I'm mainly doing doors today  [teehee]

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
LOL!!

Posted
Rating:
Doug, you and I seem to approach scratch building from the 2 extremes, you appear to do everything yourself, whereas I don't mind spending a bit more cash to reach a similar end result.
My cutting mat is, for the most part, my plotter cutter, somewhat quicker and more accurate than my efforts at cutting out by 86 year old hand; I buy my card in packs of A4 sheets, I buy etched brass windows and doors and cast chimneys, I've also bought cast bay windows and dormers. I also use Scalescenes brick and stone, print them to A4 self adhesive label stock, one advantage of N gauge, I can get more buildings on an A4 sheet than 00 modellers can, e.g. 2 x 6 house terraces (or 4 if low relief)
I must admit to bashing a few Metcalfe kits, in fact very few things that I buy go on the layout as bought, locos get at least renumbered or some get modified.
I do enjoy reading your exploits, picked up a few ideas too, thanks.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the reply, Mike, ignore that Gastwo, he's a reactionary…
We are all just trying to do what we can to make miniature things look as real as possible.

I quickly passed over that word 'spending', it makes feel faint.

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Door and doorstep, black cartridge paper for hinges.

I did try a darker coloured door, but it all started to look 'samey'. Now the bit I'm not looking forward to, making it 3D instead of flat, hope it folds up square.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
That door looks fab and I think the colour is great.
If it was me, I'd add a little bit of a dark wash at the bottom of door to show years of use in the rain!

Posted
Rating:
Good call, Chris, thank you 👍

Posted
Rating:
Just a bit of self-indulgence, Corner Cottage posed up in situ 'cos I don't want to start the roof and scullery extension today…

For the first time since I can't remember when I had a lay-in until 0930! In front of the bank is apiece of bark that I intend to slice carefully to act as 'rock' texture. You can't beat Nature for looking natural, after all.

Douglas the Sloth

Posted
Rating:
That is a wonderful position for the cottage - it will look great.  I used bark at the Faversham Creek too - only needed a bit of highlighting to have that old bare rock look.  
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Michael. I used a bit or two on the old Bear's End.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
The cottage looks superb in that setting Doug. I rather suspect it wasnt just plonked there……..I am intrigued about the amount of pre-planning you put in……do you do a lot sketches and mock ups?.

I do like your bye-lines…..particularly the last one!

Keep well

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thank you John,
I do a few sketches and birds' eye views, but having spent a long time doing watercolours I try to look for a 'view' when I can. The [low] height of the building with gap in the trees is there to frame the distant houses on the backscene and hopefully increase the recession. Don't think for one minute I plan everything, suffering from FAFFA Syndrome that path leads to procrastination and madness!
A departure from the norm for me, the rear wall of the cottage is completely blank!

Douglas

Posted
Rating:
Only just caught this thread Doug.  Looking good.  I like the tip about using a nut or washer for the window frames.Following with interest.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hullo again, herewith a posed-up tryout of the scullery extension to Corner Cottage, hopefully there will be roofs applied to both soon. I don't know whether to use slates on the extension, or 6" Wave asbestos sheeting.

I remember the outside privvy we had at Milland, it was horribly noisy in the rain as it was roofed with corrugated iron so I thought I'd spare the resident, a Slavic refugee lady, Mrs Gerda Brijj, from that discomfort..

Poop-poop!

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
That's looking excellent Doug - as one would expect from you …………….. :roll:

I love the way the backscene blends in so well.

I think one would generally find that these lean-to buildings had corrugated iron rooves ( or roofs if you prefer !) - either "wriggly tin" or possibly Roman tiles (where I came from).  Slates were not common in East Yorkshire - too far from Welsh Wales I'd guess.

By coincidence, I almost had a Gerda Brijj at Maxmill until you recommended a certain Beau Stryng - I wonder if it was the same Ms Brijj ……………………. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Tee-hee!
D

Posted
Rating:
Well! You might have thought I was joking when I mentioned the 'Chubber Stamp Test' but here is proof of its existence, I got fed up with Corner Cottage Mk1., nothing I did could make me love it, so it was subjectd to the test, and clearly failed.

So, [as the bright young things say now, seemingly before every every utterence], I present Corner Cottage Mk. 2.

All just posed up for now as I'm undecided on the ridge capping, flashing and lean-to roof material as yet, but hey-ho, normal service will be resumed ASAP.

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
:shock: :shock:  :shock:. He didn't did he ??  He did !! He bloomin did !!!  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well ok although PERSONALLY I couldn't see much wrong with the first one !? ( I would have been perficly happy if I had built it  :)). I must admit, I DO like the Mark two version. . . Proper Job  :thumbs

(Oye where's the blow by blow build then !! ).    :cool wink

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Matt!
   Thanks for posting in my thread, herewith a few more pictures, sorry, no 'blow-by-blow' as I think I could induce catalepsy by waffling on, but I'd be pleased to answer any 'Owdidyu' questions, naturally.

Madame Brijj is very pleased with her new car, bought with the realisation of several tranches of War Bonds.

Feel free to ask any questions [that is if you canstay awake long enough!]

Chubber

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.