A clapboard Goods Shed

Posted
Rating:

Summat different...

John, haven't I introduced you to the owner of the boots? That's Stinky Smith, otherwise known as 'Smiff the Whiff'. His greasy cap is on top of the filing cabinet. Since he started to leave his wellies there all the time there hasn't been a single verminous visitor to the Goods Shed. Come to think of it, there are very few of the two legged variety either….They do say his mother was scared by a Wrights Coal Tar Soap rep when she was carrying him.

Poop-poop!

Douglas

Charming……..social distancing may have its advantages after all

Cheers

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Hullo Chaps,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Peter, I think I have found someting useful to do with the thick foil sleeves around the top of the RLW bottles, that's what the oilskin is made of, touched up with a black marker pen. You're right, the 'wellies' are chopped off Dapol figure legs! You might get to see them if you are 1" high and visit the shed, but, see below….

John, haven't I introduced you to the owner of the boots? That's Stinky Smith, otherwise known as 'Smiff the Whiff'. His greasy cap is on top of the filing cabinet. Since he started to leave his wellies there all the time there hasn't been a single verminous visitor to the Goods Shed. Come to think of it, there are very few of the two legged variety either….They do say his mother was scared by a Wrights Coal Tar Soap rep when she was carrying him.

Poop-poop!

Douglas
 Wonderful 'back-story'!

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:

Smiff the Whiff's lair, and the deckhead that will cover it up. Now have to think about the roof. I hope I can get mine to look at least half as good as Terry's roof.

A departure from card and paper, all balsa. Gosh! How long is it since I smelt balsa cement, a 30 year old tube of Humbrol still perfect.
The bridge is to disguise the hard line of the bottom of the backscene support, and I will probably finish it in a dilapilated condemned state, heavily weathered and lichened. Made me feel like doing a balsa/tissue glider again. I wonder if I can remember how after 60 years???

Finally, just 'posed up' the three bridges.

Poop-poop! A modest emu sized chicken for Sunday lunch, smelling very appetising at the moment, with the promise of chicken and mushroom pie with the left-overs….SWMBO has done me proud on the catering front, keeping up the moral and the waistline. Hope you are all well and keeping safe. Appropos another thread, I, too, think England is relaxing lockdown regulations too soon. A neighbour, who assists a farmer in rounding up his moor cattle for T.B. testing etc.[on a horse!!] says that last weekend the carpark at Cadover bridge was jam-packed with cars and an ice-cream van doing a roaring business. If Arch-Buffoon Boris had shown some backbone in continuing to enforce the restrictions and even more by sacking "Don't do as I do, do as I say Cummings" we wouldn't be facing a new 'spike'.

Rant over, OOOoooh, that chicken smells good…

Douglas

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Bridges look brilliant Doug and I especially like the check rails  :thumbs

Something I always for forget when I've done bridges  :oops:

I won't comment on the current lockdown situation, only to say I think most of us of a certain age have the same opinion.

Ed

(PS just cooking Cottage Pie).

Posted
Rating:
Just mentioning balsa cement brought the smell back to me!  My first model was a WWI tank, when I was 7.  I was fortunate in going to a very small primary school (60 pupils in total) with a headmaster who was keen on model making.  We even had a school railway layout, which was where my journey began….. and I had forgotten that until you said balsa cement!
The bridges look great.  I would just never think of putting three together like that, but they look great!

I'm also looking forward to your work on the roof of the goods shed, because that is still my weakest link….

I won't get started on the incompetence of the Government and its undemocratic advisers…..My wife's school (she is also a headteacher…. our poor children!) made over 30,000 visors for local hospitals and care homes and won a Telegraph Lockdown award.  But what state are we in when schools are providing essential equipment to hospitals….? Grrrrr.

Regards
Michael

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
First class card modelling as always Doug.
I have always felt your level of card modelling is equal if not better than many of the renowned card modellers of the past .
If time allowed a book on model rail card modelling would be very popular and an inspiration to many.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
That is three superb bridges! Very nice!

Posted
Rating:
Great stuff and I like the cleaned wellies, idily waiting for another muddy adventure.

Oh well, it had to come, as the arrival of the railway overshadows a very favourite Devon boyhood haunt, 'Two Bridges', where many a happy hour swimming in the ice cold summer river was spent, before racing home on our bikes to warm up. Dartmoor is a great place for a steam railway!

Do you have a layout or station name yet Douglas?

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Superb as always……..there is an overall crispness about your models that I can only envy…….and thats before I go on about the colouring and detail.
It was good to see the three bridges together …..they will make an eye catching scene at the edge of the layout.

Courtesy of Rick Stein its MrSingh’s slow cooked lamb curry with cloves and cardamom for dinner tonight……not too much modelling for me this afternoon.

Cheers

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for your kind remarks, Bill, it will probably be Bear's End again now that I have abandoned the idea of a roundy-roundy, but the river/stream will be called Gronan Creek, after the Irish swineherd, Gronan Shayke, who jumped off the bridge when his advances were rebuffed by Desiré Dungmore's grandmother. She's married to Farmer Turnip Dungmore, a local magistrate. [Her husband, not her Grandmother…do keep up!]

The water was only 12 inches deep, and as he landed on his head he became a delivery van driver for Home and Colonial Stores.Thus employed he met the second love of his life, Tavisha Turgenov, an exiled Russian princess who worked on the bacon slicer. Their daughter, Rasha, co-incidentally went on to marry an itinerant Pig Gelder called Hamhock Smith. Their son chose to work for the Western Region of British Rail after Nationalisation…..he had some wellies….

Slow cooked lamb curry with cloves and cardamom….Uhmmm! I always add extra cardomom to my curry pastes.

Well, that's all for now,

Keep safe,

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I think not only a book on card modelling by the author Chubber but a book on the lives of people he has met or have had the stories told to him - both would be Nobel prize candidates.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
I think not only a book on card modelling by the author Chubber but a book on the lives of people he has met or have had the stories told to him - both would be Nobel prize candidates.

Indeed Sol - our Chubber certainly seems to know some strange people ………….. :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Don't forget Peter - he has met you!

Posted
Rating:
[user=364]Super D[/user] wrote:
Don't forget Peter - he has met you!

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Cutting Derek, cutting !!…………………… :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
A book by Chubber on modelling buildings in card?  Excellent idea.  Put me down for a copy (or two).

How about it Doug?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I'm either too lazy or too 'frit…..In truth I have no idea how to start.

D

Posted
Rating:
In this day and age, the idea for a book is the trick, the rest is relatively easy.  You can even self publish on Amazon……
Snoopy started his novel with "It was a dark and stormy night…."  You could try that!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Well, not much done lately apart from gardening with runner beans 6ft high and three trusses of tomatoes set, a 'pretend gate' with a mirror faux window fixed to the fence in a darkish spot, an an overhaul of chisels and planes against the day we go back to work on the railway, two new gates for the side passageways.

I've made a start on the canopy supports for the G'shed with some thin pieces of hardwood that scale up to 12" x 6" and some imitation cast iron brackets from plastic and card. Still not certain where I go from here, not a lot to show but this is more along the lines of saying 'I'm still alive and well…' as I hope you all are.

Keep safe,

Douglas

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
I'm either too lazy or too 'frit…..In truth I have no idea how to start.

D
Hello Doug,
                 Might I suggest contacting The Crowood Press Ltd., who have produced a large number of model railway books over the past few years.  I'm sure they would point you in the right direction.  There has been no book on modelling buildings in card to my knowledge.

www.crowood.com

Best wishes,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for this, Terry,I recently had a query from another site, referencing my 'Card Modelling the Scalescenes Way' with a link to all my old stuff which I thought I had lost.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10095&forum_id=101#p202511

I think there is almost enough there? I could re-title it 'Card Structure Modelling using Downloaded Model kits and textures'
[Catchy title, eh?]

There's some more somewhere about making sharp sqaure corners, too.

Keep safe,

Douglas

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.