A clapboard Goods Shed

Posted
Rating:
#249729 (In Topic #13751)

Summat different...

Herewith a picture of the first part of the construction of a goods shed, the back story is that it was a GWR adopted site, gone into the BR Western Region era.

A new construction method for me to represent the 6" timber frame clad inside and out with timber, in this case S'Scenes TX37 Cream Clapboard. Designing and printing the door and window components has made me admire John Wiffen all the more, each little tweak puts something else out-of-kilter, but even at 6" it doesn't look too bad. [IMHO]

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks good to me!

Posted
Rating:
Thank you, Chris.

Wasn't it fortuitous that the last job I did before the SDR shutdown was to take down and repair the sliding shed door?

Poop-poop!

Douglas

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
 Is this your design Doug ?  Looks very promising.  :thumbs

I'm a bit confused by the sliding door ……………… :roll:   Is there an opening behind it or does it close over the adjacent opening - which appears to either have an internal roller shutter or is boarded up with the same clapboard …………… :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Oh Peter!
Too much Red Laughing Water, peut-être?

I've photographed it leaning up against another element behind, sorry!

D

Posted
Rating:
I realised that as soon as I'd posted Doug but, having the option of stating thus or having another glass, the latter carried the day …………………….. :cheers :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That looks great Doug .Generally I dont find Scalescenes wood effects very convincing but that is certainly not the case with your shedC
Could I ask what you used for the rail and fittings?

Best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
 Cheers, Peter!

John,

I usually do a little pencil sketch before I do anything needing a little thought, herewith the one I did for the door assemblies, thin card coloured with a brown Sharpie, black cartridge paper for the rail and brackets rubbed with a typewriter rubber to roughen it slightly, and two 2.5mm circles of same glued together for the 'pulley' wheels. Pritt Stik to attach the homemade texture picture, lightly scribed down the plank lines.[I rubbed over this sketch with watercolour pencils as it didn't look to clear to start with.

On relection this morning, I decided that the proportions were out of kilter, so today made the double doors differently, I'm happier with these, [below] which is a good thing as they will be on the facing side. This time I remembered the little 'stops' on the runner.

Hope this helps, John,

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
 Cheers, Peter!

John,

I usually do a little pencil sketch before I do anything needing a little thought, herewith the one I did for the door assemblies, thin card coloured with a brown Sharpie, black cartridge paper for the rail and brackets rubbed with a typewriter rubber to roughen it slightly, and two 2.5mm circles of same glued together for the 'pulley' wheels. Pritt Stik to attach the homemade texture picture, lightly scribed down the plank lines.[I rubbed over this sketch with watercolour pencils as it didn't look to clear to start with.

On relection this morning, I decided that the proportions were out of kilter, so today made the double doors differently, I'm happier with these, [below] which is a good thing as they will be on the facing side. This time I remembered the little 'stops' on the runner.

Hope this helps, John,

Douglas

So ingenious…..like cutting the lady in half….obvious once you explain how its done!

Black cartridge paper….brilliant.

I hope you are going to put all this in a book

Shed Doors Version II look great

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Your card modelling is so beautifully precise.  Those doors look great and the runners just make me believe you could roll the doors across.  Always a pleasure and inspiration to see your work and techniques.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
THank you, Michael, I'll be off to the tent-makers for a new flat hat!

D

Posted
Rating:
As always, it looks superb Doug. Is my understanding correct that the door and windows are from the Scalescenes range?
Regards,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Terry,

No, the doors and windows are from my first scratchbuilt GWR standard 1922 station, modified for my Bear's End station, and now re-coloured for BR(W). If it's of any interest I'll put a photo of each up somewhere, I have them as JPG if anyone is in need of them.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Just messing about now, fence and gate repair/replacement takimg centre stage now. A posed-up piccy of the interior of the goods shed…

A bit of fun, I wonder if I can do an oil-skin coat to hang behind the door to cover the unexplained hole?

Douglas

Posted
Rating:
Perhaps? He'll need wellies if he needs an oilskin, won't he?

Anyway, a mini-tee-hee!

D

Posted
Rating:
That looks good Doug - I'm guessing the wellies are someones feet but what is the coat ?

Will you be able to see this once the shed is complete ?  It would be a huge pity to hide it all ………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
The exterior looks good, but that interior detail is brilliant. Wonderful stuff. :)

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Classic Dooferdog Chubber modelling…….one is almost tempted to offer a Huzzah!
I do hope you are going to develop the legend of the owner of those Boots

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant as always!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hullo Chaps,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Peter, I think I have found someting useful to do with the thick foil sleeves around the top of the RLW bottles, that's what the oilskin is made of, touched up with a black marker pen. You're right, the 'wellies' are chopped off Dapol figure legs! You might get to see them if you are 1" high and visit the shed, but, see below….

John, haven't I introduced you to the owner of the boots? That's Stinky Smith, otherwise known as 'Smiff the Whiff'. His greasy cap is on top of the filing cabinet. Since he started to leave his wellies there all the time there hasn't been a single verminous visitor to the Goods Shed. Come to think of it, there are very few of the two legged variety either….They do say his mother was scared by a Wrights Coal Tar Soap rep when she was carrying him.

Poop-poop!

Douglas

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.