Static Grass Applicator

Posted
Rating:
This is part of a small diorama that I prepared as an example when giving demonstrations and workshops.
A rough grass embankment before addind some other growth such as brambles.

This is the sort of effect that you can get with different lengths of fibres and colours using a decent applicator and Layering Spray. In this case a Greenscene Flockit and Peco spray. The little globules that you can see are undried layering spray glue which when dry will disappear completely.

I think used three layers, short 2mm dark green fibres at the base, a layer of 4mm mid green fibres followed by a layer of 6mm straw coloured fibres. The variation in height is caused by some fibres attaching themselves to the tops of other some at the mid point and others reaching the base before adhering. The hollows and clumps are formed by poking the end of a cocktail stick into the fibres and gently pushing them one way or another to form the effect that you want before the glue finally dries.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
[user=1938]The Q[/user] wrote:
In this video, Kathy attaches the crocodile clip to some adjacent track

https://youtu.be/IiR83CikHoo?t=303

Ed

I note this attaching a crocodile clip to adjacent track. If you have a dcc layout and have locos on the layout this could well be a bit dodgy doing this as you could end up damaging decoders. fine if nothing on the track but i would suggest removing all locos before perhaps doing it this way.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
At 4' 7" x 10", I'm very unlikely to have any rolling stock on the layout while applying static grass Brian, unless I wanted the rolling stock grassed as well  :lol:

I think your comment could be true of DC  layouts as well, but as it turned out I had to mask all the track while applying static grass this afternoon, so I just held the clip near to each of the areas as I worked on them.

Turned out not too bad.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
A bit late to the party as usual but look up Luke Towans videos on you-tube. I made his version of the static grass applicator and it is perfect for the job. At about £20 itis good value and is similar to the WWS, grassmaster and  Peco versions.

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1

Posted
Rating:
Is that your layout in the image you added Ian?

Posted
Rating:
That's a brilliant scene Ian - well done Sir !   :thumbs

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.