Hornby Q1 Loco

Posted
Rating:

“ Humpty Back “ Loco that worked in Kent

I'm a bit late to this convo - however I have 6 x Q1's in my inventory. 33002/33009/33013/33015/3017/33020

All are excellent runners, they and can pull more than a 9F given the opportunity.

They breeze around my layout without a hiccup when others stutter and splutter.

Down side, is the Cabin doors and the ladders are easily broken/lost. However loosing them isn't the end of the world, most people don't even notice until its pointed out!

I was apprehensive at first buying my 1st one as there where only 2 or 3 reviews on the model at the time (all good news) and I took a chance, never regretted it.

As for the asthetics of the Q1 you either love 'em or hate 'em! For me it was love at first sight! I love the peculiar and off beat mechanical things. 

The actual drivers of these machines were very surprised with the pulling power, and ability to be used in freight as well as passenger services during and after WW2, bore them an excellent reputation. They were affectionately called "Coffee Pots" &"Ugly Ducklings"  to name a couple, needless to say the names weren't exactly becoming either.

Only 40 were built in reality, so Hornby modelling so many variants (15 as far as I am aware) is homage to their popularity. 

Models have running numbers as follows:

C8   Pristine - no oil lube crank
C21 Pristine - no oil lube crank
C24 Pristine - no oil lube crank

C = number of driven axles (C=3)

1948 (Nationalisation) onwards they were given new running numbers]

33001 Was a Ltd Edition of 250 for Rails 
*33002 Factory Weathered
  33005 Pristine - no oil lube crank 
  33006 Factory Weathered
*33009 Factory Weathered
*33013 Pristine
*33015 Factory Weathered
*33017 Pristine
*33020 Factory Weathered
  33023 Pristine - no oil lube crank
  33032 Pristine
  33037 Pristine

The first loco entered service in January 1938
The last 3 Locos to be scrapped were 33006/20/27 in 1966

Hope the above info is helpful in picking out a wonderful running loco that will give you years of pleasure.

* = my own stock 

research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looking at those cab doors, I'm not surprised they come adrift.  They look to be real "air scoops" in those Hatton's shots.

"Ugly" is true but to liken them to a duckling is an insult to ducks !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2187]Phat Controller[/user] wrote:
I'm a bit late to this convo - however I have 6 x Q1's in my inventory. 33002/33009/33013/33015/3017/33020

Well certainly not a mother to love them so much, so you must be an engineer Tony.

They certainly were most useful locomotives and appear reliable as well, so probably a good model choice, even though the doors blow off!

Bill

''I said just blow the bloody doors off, not the steps as well!"

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Phat 

The first loco entered service in January 1938
The last 3 Locos to be scrapped were 33006/20/27 in 1966

Q class (Maunsell) was 1938. Essentially a Collett Goods, including a Belpaire boiler. BR rating F4. Q1 (Bulleid) was 1942. BR rating F5. Chalk and cheese. And only ever painted black. 

Bullied finished the Q class build when Maunsell retired, didn't like it, when more were needed in WW2 the Q1 was the result. Bit light in weight, needed fitted freight for long trains.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply.  I don’t imagine that Hornby have thought about different numbers to differentiate between them. Another DIY Job for anyone that would would be bothered by it. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
you are so right Nigel I got my Q's mixed up!!

research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.