Hornby Q1 Loco

Posted
Rating:
#248012 (In Topic #13683)

“ Humpty Back “ Loco that worked in Kent

Hi all.   Here I am looking at more Hornby stock, although I am not  a collector, I am not even a member of the  Hornby club . I can run trains but the boards are bare except for brown paint and the minimum of amount of ballasting. The particular Loco I am considering does look a bit peculiar as if they had to Bodge the bodywork, when the foreman was on leave? Have any forum readers bothered with the Q1 ? And has anyone got an opinion about the Loco that is printable? Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I try to avoid the Q1 Kevin - to me, it's a locomotive they forgot to finish !!

Probably designed and built on a Friday afternoon………………………..

I suppose to you "Southerners", it's a thing of beauty ……………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well, certainly not a thing of beauty, but curiously interesting from a workmanlike perspective.

At least it's black Peter!

There's plenty of them about Kevin, so you enjoy it if you wish. Will you go for Southern or BR?

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. It would be probably be best to let it pass as another fad, until I have been given the all clear from the Hospital, and get the baseboard scenery done, but I have got a lot of time on my hands taking it easy, all I can do is think about it. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. That is a very good question. Hornby are good at giving Loco collectors what they want, but when it comes down to carriages not so. and the modellers have to “cut and shut “, or repaint the correct livery. I do have some Hornby carriages of a non descriptive design that would do?  Best wishes Kevin  

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin

It has good reviews. Only aesthetic issue is that without a running plate/splashers and external cylinders the under-gauge OK wheels become very obvious. Buffer beam looks to be too narrow as well. Ran from 1942-1966, so lots of modeling opportunity - freight to secondary passenger. Ideal for a small layout. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply . I did read that Hornby missed a chance at retooling the Q1, but I hadn’t realised how much had been left out.. I don’t imagine that Bachmann or anyone else would pick up the baton and run with it although both manufacturer's had a go at the class 71 electric Loco. With so much missing I cannot imagine why it received so many good reviews. Best wishes kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/e3/46/d9e34692771185e5890d2ad1c27dd651.jpg

Only a mother could love her child……

but it looks a powerful brute for an 0-6-0……

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin
Well naturally I have one!!  I think this is the first time I have been able to comment on my rolling stock!  It is a good little runner, easy to add the DCC chip and easy to service.  I can't vouch for the accuracy of it as a model of the real loco, but it looks the part for me and I love it.

It is typical SR functionalism:if it was a dog, it would win nothing at Cruft's but it might pick up a novelty prize at the local village dog show.  I like to think that they took off everything that was superfluous rather than they didn't finish it…

I could imagine it becoming a good base for the new Steampunk range…. which may put you off it!

Regards

Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
……………………………………………………………. easy to add the DCC chip …………………………….
I'll say !!  Don't you just strap the chip on top ?  It would add to the charm of the rest of the bodywork ………….

It can hardly claim to have come out of the design houses in Milan ………….Scunthorpe maybe but not Milan !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I guess looks was not a consideration for the Q1 but functionality instead...

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply. It’s just like me then, not built for looks and now that I have left my “Three score and ten years “behind me ??? Who knows what next ? But is it a good buy and easy to fit in a DCC decoder. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin, as I posted above, it is a good runner and very easy to fit aDCC chip.  One small screw to remove the body and the the chip sits nicely on top, with plenty of room for it…. couldn't be easier!
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael.  Thank you for your reply. It depends on the Hornby Q1 suitability for a DCC decoder, and because of it being a Southern Loco whether or not I buy one, and of course a good price would help persuade me .  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
They seem to be out of production, although plentiful secondhand. However I see a theme on Hattons site, as all appear to suffer from Michael Cane syndrome, as at least all the ''bloody doors'' have been blown off!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=Hornby%20Q1

I would ask traditional model shops if they have a new one still in stock, this having proved sucessful for me on several occasions.

Bill

Appologies for taking liberties in miss-quoting from The Italian Job!

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Well spotted Ed, I missed that one!
Back to my wall tiling, as I said I would finish it before I leave for the UK  next week for a model rail exhibition. 

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  I have purchased a pre owned Loco in the past, but I would rather go there in “ Person “ if I purchased another one I would admit they do tell you if something is broken. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for joining in. and pointing out the paint details, because Southern “wartime black” wouldn’t fit in. I have read that BR(S) did retain the Southern livery on the Loco though. At least for a while. Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.