LED route indication

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The type of switches DPDT or SPDT depends on power supply, refer to the Tortoise instruction sheet. Normally no centre off.

Outside of E-bay for switches, could try AliExpress & search for Toggle switches

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol.

I thought I'd replied earlier but the battery on my laptop went flat - obviously before I sent it !!

I'll have another read of the Tortoise instructions to see what the power supply has to do with the type of switch ………………but don't hold your breath about my understanding it !! :???: :???:

I did look at e-bay for switches and yes, they're much more reasonable than my previous supplier.

I'm now deep in thought about the design of the mimic panel - or more importantly, wiring it ……………. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Just re-read the Tortoise instructions and yes, I see where the DPDT and SPST switches differ in their installation.

I think in this instance, I'll use DPDT switches - I don't really want a "point bus" around the layout because, other than this section, all other points will be controlled by the LS 150 decoders.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

I'm planning to use the above diagram for my wiring Sol.

Can I just confirm that telephone cable (I think 4 twisted pairs) is sufficient to power everything.  There appears to be 5 wires going from the panel to each motor so using telephone cable would be ideal.

On the other hand, would I be better using heavier wire from the DPDT switch to contacts 1 and 8 on the Tortoise and just use 3 of the telephone wires for the LEDs ?  I do also have some 4 way alarm cable if that were the case.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Peter, telephone cable is perfect.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
That's brilliant - many thanks Sol.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Just to throw a spanner in the works. All of my tortoi are fed from two transformers (bi polar) via single pole change over switches. The led route indicators are fed via the motor, so no resistors. The frog switches are fed straight from the track supply bus. I have to admit to losing it part way through the thread (concentration problems, long story) but hope this helps.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Pete, just like Fig 2 of the Tortoise info sheet. That works well as well.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Yes Sol,
I prefer to run the single bus around the layout and then the two wires to operate from single pole change over switches. With a lot of help from members on MRF I use twin wafer rotary switches for single and double slips. The second wafer operates the leds, and for these I have to use a separate supply with resistors.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
My situation is slightly different Pete.

I'm rebuilding a section of an existing layout and only this section will be operated via a panel and swithes.  The rest of the points on the layout will be DCC operated via an accessory decoder.

I specifically didn't want a dedicated "point" bus and also opted for the DPDT switches with a single power supply.

You say you got lost half way through the thread - that's half a thread better than me !!  I'm constantly lost ………………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
My situation is slightly different Pete.

I'm rebuilding a section of an existing layout and only this section will be operated via a panel and swithes.  The rest of the points on the layout will be DCC operated via an accessory decoder.

I specifically didn't want a dedicated "point" bus and also opted for the DPDT switches with a single power supply.

You say you got lost half way through the thread - that's half a thread better than me !!  I'm constantly lost ………………..
 :lol: :lol:

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.