Don't be dumb

Posted
Rating:

The earlier the better.....

Hi Michael,

Never finish the layout. Like with all cancers, the end user (that's us, remember we keep practitioners in the art gainfully employed) needs to keep abreast of what is happening. Crucial component of survivorship! 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Not the best news in the world Michael, and not what you'd hoped for.  Unfortunately, there's nowt you can do about it.  Alternatively, what you can do, and seem well prepared to do, is keep a positive attitude.

The EPNS (if not true silver) lining is that those who know about these things are being very positive about the prognosis.  Remember, they've seen it all and so, if they say the prognosis is good, then it must be.

We all wish you the very best of luck with the treatment which I understand, can be an experience in itself ……………

I'm told, attitude of mind accounts for half the battle Michael so you must always think about that little unfinished corner of Faversham Creek ………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael and I too, am sorry and sad to hear your upsetting news. However, your positive attitude is just what is needed to make the most of the opportunities for continued enjoyment of our lives, no matter where or how our journey unfolds, so keep your focus and enjoy your railway and continue to share it with your chums here at YMRC.

Very best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thank you chaps.  I got the notes from the hospital today, and while it will be best to have it treated, things are nowhere near as grim as they could have been.
I've always been a glass half full person, and definitely agree that treatment begins in my head - so remaining positive.  And yes, i have a railway to finish, which will take me many, many years!

Regards

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael
I am so wglad that the latest news sounds a little better. I have to say that I am lost in admiration at the way you are dealing with all this. Glass half full is undoubtedly the best approach but I suspect is easier said than done.

My very best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Dear all, possibly my last post about this - I don't want to turn it into some sort of therapy thread!
I met with the surgeon, who spelled out the facts nice and clearly.  We have caught it early, and if I have surgery we can effectively say it is a cure.  If we act now, the most worrying side effects are far less likely.  I can watch and wait…..  maybe have the surgery in 10-15 years, but the likelihood of additional problems is also much higher.   So, I have bitten the bullet and gone for surgery, which will be early in the new year.  The surgeon's record is exemplary and even if the cancer returns later, I will have the opportunity for other treatment.  To be honest, I just want it gone! And at 54, the chances of a good recovery are very high, especially as I don't have any of the physical symptoms of prostate cancer, and good pelvic floor muscles!

I attended a fatigue clinic and was amazed to hear the nurse describe everything I have been feeling for the last 18 months - which I had put down to the job (headteacher) - but may also be the impact of the cancer.  She told me to get in the loft and build that railway, and I don't think I want to argue with her…..

I am so grateful for our NHS and a smart urologist who listened to how I felt, rather than just physical symptoms and began this whole process.  At 54 years of age, to be told I am young enough for a full recovery is very welcome news.

Obviously, I had to tell Mrs Liddicoat that her baby making days will be over, but, she pointed out - only with me!  Yorkshire women, very practical!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted here, every message has been really special.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer for men - 1 in 8 of us - but also highly treatable if caught early and the general prognosis gets better each year.  So, I return to the title of the thread, don't be dumb, get a check up.

The rest of my posts will be about trains!!

Warm regards

Michael

Posted
Rating:
:doublethumb :doublethumb :doublethumb

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Michael,

best wishes that all goes well for you, it sounds as if you're in excellent hands there.

Posted
Rating:
Excellent Michael, your glass half full is running over!
 :cheers

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Great to hear Micheal. Hope you keep up the positivity. I like you had my diagnosis @ age 54, there's more years to be lived yet!

research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Posted
Rating:
That's good to hear Michael - onwards and upwards from now on !!   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Excellent news Michael

Best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
The sooner it is out of you the better

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
Hi all
Had surgery on 17th January and recovering well.  Sore, but nothing worse.  Hopefully will be back modelling very soon, even if not up in the loft just yet.  Catheter comes out on Thursday (hoorah!) Not that it has been much of a problem.  And a lovely nurse visits each day too!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
So good to hear your news Michael. You must be pleased.

A bit of planning then, until you can get in the loft. Anticipation is good, so enjoy some R&D and you'll be at it again soon.

I'm enjoying some splendid anticipation myself right now, as I'm in the UK later this week for a weekend model railway exhibition in Eastleigh and will also see some old chums.

Take things easy and have fun,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Wow, I've only just seen this post - what can I say, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago following a PSA test, MRI scan and biopsy (in early December….snap!). I've since had the prostate removed and have just finished a 6 week course of radiotherapy to hopefully hoover up the remaining cancer cells that are in the 'prostate bed' area. Like you I didn't have any obvious symptoms, I decided to have the PSA test after a dear friend who'd had prostate cancer 6 years ago encouraged me to have it. Following the operation I was advised that the cancer was more aggressive than the biopsy had indicated - so I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had that PSA test when I did!So yes, ignorance is definitely not bliss when it comes to these things, I think all men should have the test when they reach a certain age (I'm 66 by the way).
Here's hoping all of us in this post who have been affected get back onto the main track after such an unwanted diversion on our journey.
I should add that my model railway has been a welcome distraction/therapy over last year - in fact I only joined the Club as part of my determination to kick start a life-long project that had stagnated for too long - the cancer diagnosis certainly focused my mind in that respect!
I could say so much more but I'll leave it at that and hope my observations have been helpful.

Finally finding the time to indulge in my favourite hobby.......that Hornby Dublo 3-rail train set is a long time ago!

Posted
Rating:
Here in France it would appear they major on preventative medicine rather than curative so, although I have other under-control medical issues, we all have regular blood tests which includes a PSA test.  To date, fortunately, I don't have that problem unlike a very dear friend of mine in UK who started treatment for an aggressive form of the disease just a week ago.

The big C touches most people during their lives, one way or another.  We are told that, with enough research, most forms could be conquered;  It annoys me that sufficient funds are not made available for this critical research.  I'd rather have a couple of cancer forms defeated than knock half an hour off the journey time from London to Birmingham !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2164]PVilly[/user] wrote:
Wow, I've only just seen this post - what can I say, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago following a PSA test, MRI scan and biopsy (in early December….snap!). I've since had the prostate removed and have just finished a 6 week course of radiotherapy to hopefully hoover up the remaining cancer cells that are in the 'prostate bed' area. Like you I didn't have any obvious symptoms, I decided to have the PSA test after a dear friend who'd had prostate cancer 6 years ago encouraged me to have it. Following the operation I was advised that the cancer was more aggressive than the biopsy had indicated - so I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had that PSA test when I did!So yes, ignorance is definitely not bliss when it comes to these things, I think all men should have the test when they reach a certain age (I'm 66 by the way).
Here's hoping all of us in this post who have been affected get back onto the main track after such an unwanted diversion on our journey.
I should add that my model railway has been a welcome distraction/therapy over last year - in fact I only joined the Club as part of my determination to kick start a life-long project that had stagnated for too long - the cancer diagnosis certainly focused my mind in that respect!
I could say so much more but I'll leave it at that and hope my observations have been helpful.

Really sorry Phil, I have only just picked this up.  I hope you are progressing well.  Our stories are really similar - my prostate was removed and the biopsy was worse than originally thought.  Like you, I am pleased I acted when I did, or who knows what was in store further down the line?  Recovery for me has been great  and I am back at work in a new job and coming to terms with both a cancer diagnosis and an all clear!

I was never one for listening to the warning of others….. but I am so pleased I had a consultant who made me go check and then took me through the whole process.  I thought a diagnosis might be a life sentence, but it isn't.  

So how is the modelling going?

Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Here in France it would appear they major on preventative medicine rather than curative so, although I have other under-control medical issues, we all have regular blood tests which includes a PSA test.  To date, fortunately, I don't have that problem unlike a very dear friend of mine in UK who started treatment for an aggressive form of the disease just a week ago.

The big C touches most people during their lives, one way or another.  We are told that, with enough research, most forms could be conquered;  It annoys me that sufficient funds are not made available for this critical research.  I'd rather have a couple of cancer forms defeated than knock half an hour off the journey time from London to Birmingham !!!
Likewise, I have just picked this up.  Your comment about journey times is most appropriate Peter - it says something about our values, doesn't it?  However, I will just say that regardless of the politics, I would not be talking about being cancer free if it were not for the observation, listening and wisdom of an NHS consultant who put together a string of seemingly unrelated "symptoms" and suggested a quick check up…. and then made me  do it (which is perhaps the crucial part).  I'm impressed that France has this as a routine…… we could learn a little here.

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael,
Good to hear from you and yes, our cancer journeys do seem to have followed a similar path. I'm due to have a PSA test tomorrow followed by a meeting with the consultant in early April to hopefully receive good news - as I'm sure you will understand, a PSA rate of next to nothing will be ideal! Hopefully the other 'C (virus)-word' will not delay the meeting!

You may recall I joined the club about a year ago following the prostatectomy. I've since made sporadic progress due to the distractions of the ongoing cancer monitoring and treatment. I have however really enjoyed developing the area round the terminus and goods yard, including construction of various key buildings such as the goods shed, yard offices, signal box and shops/houses in the station approach road, mainly courtesy of Ratio and Scalescenes. I've named the station 'Ashbury' - a subtle blend of Tewkesbury and Ashchurch which is the area where this fictional LMS/GW line is based.
All good therapy when you're going through health issues. If we do have a lockdown I hope to speed up the modelling process - 'every cloud………….'  

I plan to post some pictures soon.

Kind regards

Phil

Finally finding the time to indulge in my favourite hobby.......that Hornby Dublo 3-rail train set is a long time ago!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.