Tinwald workshop weathering

Posted
Rating:
well over the Xmas NYE break I decided to get some more weathering done, considering I couldn't go anywhere, as the fires have me hemmed in.
so I purchased this ugly duckling (it really is hideous)

I like a challenge, and this was my Xmas present to myself, to make it look something passable as an acceptable piece of rolling stock on my layout.

It's a Frateschi HO Cement Hopper (made in Brazil) cost me AU$38.00 with postage - enough for me to take a risk.

It sat on the table for a few days, as I dealt with other rolling stock, but I was always looking for things to do to it.
  • frame is plain - no etching or moulding
  • no buffers 
  • handbrake wheel looks odd
  • small plastic wheels 
  • Lima type moulded couplings
  • oversize ladder
I was definitely weathering this! It was a given from the start, reason being it may hide some of the imperfections I didn't like, such as the plain frame, and the bland grey colour. Weathering may also make the oversize ladder look better, something I wouldn't know until I actually did it.

So i took to it with gusto over a couple of days, deciding what to do next.
  • added 4 new buffers from my bits jar
  • removed odd looking brake wheel
  • added bigger wheels
  • converted old couplings to NEM pockets 
  • and of course weathered it - heavily!
and here it is now ……………

I reckon it turned out quite well considering what it looked like straight out of the box. Might even get another one, once this one has grown on me  :lol: :lol:

research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Unrecognisable from the starting point!  Nice job.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Thank you chaps, it was a nice little challenge to work on. 

Turned out rather well, for little expense, and looks a whole lot better than the original.

Felt a little cheated that the original didn't come with buffers, but I knew I had some to spare.

onto my next challenge …………….

research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Posted
Rating:
I was perusing the online auction and came across a couple of these …………

Nice condition all bits accounted for and a bargain @ AUD$25.50 (incl postage) each 

Straight away you know exactly whats going to happen to them 'cos they just looked wayyyy to shiney!

So, yes, out with the paints and the powders.

after an hour or so between cups of tea and a cream apple turnover (a guys gotta eat!) they turned into these lil beauties.

I bought them on the pretext of weathering them and selling them on. Now that they're done, I'm not sure I want to sell them. 

That being said I've ended up with a lot more modern rolling stock (that I want to keep) that is out of my original era (1960's). 
I am also wondering if I DO keep them then I'll have to make up a train of similar period wagons and a Loco to pull them! 

*sigh* this hobby is full of pitfalls! :???:

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Me, I convert similar UK ones to bogie style - really makes the UK outline modeller shudder !

Yours look good dirtied up…

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
double bogied VGA vans!! omg Sol the heresy! you'll be hunted down and flogged  :shock:  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
[user=2187]Phat Controller[/user] wrote:
double bogied VGA vans!! omg Sol the heresy! you'll be hunted down and flogged  :shock:  :lol:
No he won't - we're not a particularly violent lot on here, but have you noticed nobody speaks to him ………………… :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
One I modified from

to making it a Private Owner van

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
lol it HAD to be a beer wagon!!  :lol: :lol:
I must admit it looks OK with bogies on , I can see the appeal.

and yes Peter we are a lovely forgiving bunch on here, although I didn't notice the stonewalling of Sol.  :shock:

No bother, I'll talk to anybody if they'll listen - comes from living alone I spose  :lol: :lol: :lol:

(btw I know it's all in jest - and nothing to do with him living in Adelaide!)

Last edit: by Phat Controller

Posted
Rating:
……………… found my Kibri UPS 2000 Plasser & Theurer model stowed away in a shoe box.It looked a bit plain, so I couldn't help myself and "grubbied" it up! 

(sorry to all the purists who like things prestine)

Last edit: by Phat Controller

Posted
Rating:
Wow - that looks fantastic Tony - well done Sir !

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.