DCC or DC

Posted
Rating:
N gauge British Outline Steam is pretty much DC unless you are a whizz at soldering and are happy to void your warranty on those expensive little engines.

Peco has just released the first DCC fitted N gauge GWR loco which has a recommend retail of 140 pounds sterling each:!:  :!:  you can get them for 107 pounds.

I like mucking around with the wiring of DC too.

If I had the choice and all the RTR engines I wanted came DCC ready and installed with a chip and the price came down… Yes, I probably would go DCC.

But, nearly doesn't make the graveyard so I've voted DC

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I am totally convinced about DCC and would never consider going back to DC, even on the most basic of layouts.  I do believe many people are frightened off by the perceived expense of DCC.  It need not be expensive.  The most basic controllers can be bought for £30-40, such as Bachmann E-Z command.  Even these basic systems work well and allow up to 9 loco addresses and up to 3 to be run concurrently. Decoders are  about £10 each and most modern DC locos are now DCC ready. The majority of non DCC ready locos are not that difficult to convert to DCC.  It must be simple 'cos I can do it  :lol:. Ex train set DCC fitted locos can be bought for around £40.  I accept that if you already have an extensive DC layout converting from DC to DCC could be a challenge, but if starting afresh DCC has got to be considered.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I am a DCC guy also :D in  fact i am a Zimo DCC fan. I had Zimo on my last layout and without question ammediately ordered it for my new one.
Since last time 7 years ago i have found the price has come down ie decoders were $130ea and now $60-70ea point modules were $1100 and now $600 etc.
But i have noticed Roco Fleischmann loco's etc have increased to around $600-$1100ea :shock:  :shock: But that is also with smoke and sound and of coarse diesel and HST is a bit cheaper not counting the extra carriages for HST in a set.

Darryl
PS… a link for Zimo

http://www.mrsonline.net/html/zimo_difference.html
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That figures, I'm the only one without a layout :evil: :evil: :evil:
DC or DCC :?:
Everyone I ask or type to says go DCC. I probably don't have to say this, but I will anyway, the HEART says DCC, the WALLET says DC.
Major battle going on here in Hudson, Florida. Especially when I reviewed what everyone spends on this hobby :!:
I fully intended to spend $1000 to $1500 when I decided to do this.

And the battle continues :twisted:

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
After 50 years thereabouts in DC, just before last Christmas while rebuilding my last (  :lol: ) layout, Code 83 hand laid track, I finally took the plunge into DCC, done most of the wiring changes that had been installed since Oct 07 & now waiting for NCE PHPro 5Amp command station. Should be here by the end of January.

That is what happens when you get involved with other layouts that have DCC & helping others build their DCC layouts. :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I started off with DCC, and found it very reliable. The locos may be quite expensive, but they seem worth the money, especially the ones with sound and lights. The only drawbacks that I know of are that you have to keep a very clean track for the trains to pick up the signals properly, and I have heard that trains run slightly slower when they are DCC. However, I prefer DCC.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.