Posted
Rating:
#359 (In Topic #136)
Guest user
the big question is…………….
DCC
or
DC

and for all those who run DC (please be honest)
if you was going to start a new layout would you start with DCC in mind ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
dcc is 30 yrs old next yr 2008 ,thats how long ihave used it
i could not go back to dc.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I am all DC but as I have said elsewhere on the forum if I were starting again it would have to be DCC. It would also probably be USA outline, maybe even 0n30.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well i have just started mine and i am DC, cost of DCC is tooo much at the mo and as i have just started out, i feel DC is fine at mo, as i have a lot to learn with building a layout. But i will deffo go DCC in the future, as i saw  few models in shops and shows, the noise's are so realistic i will deffo be going DCC in the future.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
I've just made the jump over to DCC, although nothing is running as yet.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As requested, I've been honest and voted DCC.

That's assuming that I was starting from scratch, with no DC equipment and had the spare funds to buy a decent system.
No point for me in going DCC unless I could buy a better control system than my DC gear.
I'd also want to be able to affotd top quality sound chips and multi-function decoders.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm running DC  but would love DCC. I have my eyes on the NCE Powercab

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I started with DCC found it great but it,s just the cost of the loco,s compared with DC locos just didnt have the funds to buy DCC locos I only had two locos in a year but since I have reverted to DC have aquired up to five locos now and they all run fine and the layout is working fine on DC , if the price of DCC locos come down to a affordable price then will consider it again but at moment happy with DC

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
I really like DCC.  :)

I have always had DC layouts in the past - apart from a short foray into Zero 1 many years ago - but in my humble opnion, DCC knocks the spots off DC for sheer ease of operation.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:

Perry said

apart from a short foray into Zero 1
Now I must display even more ignorance, Perry :roll:   What is/was Zero 1?

Posted
Rating:
I wondered that  thought i keep quite as someone will ask and yep they did, cheers Tim  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
'Zero 1' was Hornby's first 'digital' control system, and as such was, I believe, one of the earliest forerunners of today's DCC. It came out in either the very late 1970's or the early 1980's - I can't recall the exact date. It worked reasonably well, but it had a real problem with dirt on the track or wheels, something that seems to have been overcome to a large degree in present-day systems. The decoders were quite large though, much bigger than modern ones. I recall having to put a module in goods van that was permanently coupled to an 0-6-0 tank loco, because there was nowhere else I could fit it!

If I remember rightly, 'Airfix' issued a similar system, but I don't think there was any compatibility between the two.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Perry - I appreciate the explanation :!:

Posted
Rating:
Argh Airfix what models, now many a night spent making those planes and cars and also war madels. Where is Airfix today, i know it went bust but someone bought it i think.
Thanks for that explanation Perry, tto young then i was only 2  :) back then?.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Dapol now owns many of the old Airfix moulds, I do believe.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
DCC for me, and apart from a faulty de-coder I have had no problems. Wiring is so easy and operation a treat :D  :D  :D .  I just didn't fancy trying to work out the wiring in DC for the layout I wanted to build, which also demanded two locos on the same track under independent control up a 1 in 40 incline.

I accept I was also fortunate in that I started from scratch with nothing to convert which could have been a headache if I had.

Can understand cost problems but it may get cheaper as more people demand it.  :wink:

To split the "hackneyed" infinitive it's probably where we will all be boldy going. :roll:  :roll:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:

Les said

………. which also demanded two locos on the same track under independent control up a 1 in 40 incline.
……………..
Les

Ah yes, just let the DC guys try to use a banking engine that can simply drop off the rear of the train whilst leaving the main loco still rolling. A bit tricky with all those section switches to mess about with, I would have thought.  :roll:

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
You got it in one Perry. :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
DCC for me as I'm starting from scratch.  :D

I originally went for the DCC option because of the sound/lighting available to me with On30 scale locomotives.

Although I've lost the sound etc in British 00 for the moment the operational side of DCC still has huge benefits for me.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I am amazed
I thought the pole would be the other way round. It is at dcc 9 dc 3, and the majority on dc would convert to dcc.  

One for Phil
As you are starting out would it not be more cost effective to convert at this early stage of your layout? The cost of a select compared to a dc controller is much the same. You will no doubt add to your collection in the future, unless you purchase all dcc ready this would be a nightmare. With crimbo on the way could you not ask santa (or the boss) for a select and a 08 shunter. You could still run your dc locos on address 00. also you have an oval so wiring this would not be a problem.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.