Turntable run round

Posted
Rating:

A small turntable as part of a run round loop

Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your reply. I am full of good intentions , but, since my Discharge from Hospital I am a bit behind with my work. As for either building a new layout or dismantling any of my current planks I cannot envisage that. One day maybe, unless I get more inspiration. Best wishes Kevin  

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. Have you built a “ Layout/ turntable/ run round” at all? I would like to but I haven’t seen a small one to fit in with the plan. Just a as well? I have so much to do on Inglenook Junction.Best wishes Kevin 
I bought an Atlas turntable Kevin, to use as part of the fiddle yard on Latton Fields.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. That fiddleyard is bigger than my whole Layout. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Ed has used an Atlas turntable, which is easily motorized and has built in indexing. the motor sits in a small shed on the top. Probably one of the easiest to install and run. Any chance you can have a small fiddle yard as an extension? The design is a split ring one, the polarity changes automatically. Separate DC control for the motor. Nigel

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you.    Ed’s choice of turntable is excellent. And a handy space saving idea. That is a good question, but if I was building a BLT ? ie  before my current malaise, I would include the turntable on the scenic plank ie as in Bembridge or any of the other locations mentioned in this thread. I think that the size of turntable that I would require is 6 1/2” or 7” diameter for any of my 0-6-0’s . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I like the colour of your grass Ed ………………… :lol: :lol:

Those 2 modules of yours Brian bring back some very happy memories.  All in all, a great weekend.   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I like the colour of your grass Ed ………………… :lol: :lol:

Funky Foam Peter, and it certainly was.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  This is yet another reply, I have been through the photos in my thread and realise that the majority of Turntables available are “Well Type “ and are of the wrong design, but I don’t know what to look for, they are like a smaller version of the one in my thread, a flat metal plate, google cannot help me. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
The Atlas one I bought was surface mounted Kevin, no need to cut a hole in the baseboard.

Slight incline on the access roads and only 10" diameter, but  it did the job.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you. If I get around to it, that would be more than big enough for an 0-6-0 Tank Loco. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian.  Another reply. I do have a longer steam loco, a Southern schools class, albeit a 1980’s Hornby, but this is DC, but that is unlikely to to have a place on a plank or for that matter be converted to DCC . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. I don’t think much of the handcrank on the Atlas turntable, but, arduino do a motor that will work it? But for now the domestic budget has to come first, I was thinking about a lightweight Vacuum Cleaner, but, then the freezer packed up and that took precedence. Alas, I will have to wait before I pick anymore Railway stuff and work on the outstanding jobs. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Atlas do a motor for it Kevin, which I bought.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. The new freezer has just been delivered, and once the freezer has settled down I will plug it in. And my cousin and her husband will go to Iceland 🇮🇸 for me,” more expense “, so any spending on model Railways will have to wait.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Did the “ speed whiskers “ work for you?   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.   It did impress one particular person who rode in my cab, apparently there was supposed a batch of new trains on the District Line in the 60’s . There were some, but not many, they had aluminium bodywork and speed whiskers.This person didn’t know why staff were always “ moaning “ about old trains. He hadn’t realised most were 1938’s painted silver . Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.