Turntable run round

Posted
Rating:
#246069 (In Topic #13593)

A small turntable as part of a run round loop

Hi All.   I have read about using a turntable at the end of a run round loop, as a space saver. It looks okay if you have planned the Layout first? But has anyone tried the idea, and does it limit the size of the Loco? The majority of my Locos are 0-4-0’s or 0-6-0’s which would be okay if I had a “ Room Size “ Layout, but just lately I have purchased some longer Loco’s both Diesel and Electric , which would rule out a small turntable and if one had a large turntable it may spoil the idea.    Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Turntables were meant for steam engines Kevin very few diesels or electrics would need a turntable as they are double ended  in most cases.

The size of the turntable therefore limits the size of a steam engine that uses it.

With your 0 6 0 and 0 4 0  engines a small diameter turntable would suffice if you had say larger steam engines like a 4-6-2 with a tender you would require a larger diameter turntable.

Brian

Last edit: by Briperran

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian. Thank you for your reply. The one I am referring to is on the line from Birmingham New Street to Harborne, and I believe there was one at Shanklin, Isle of Wight. But it is about space saving. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Instead of a full turntable why not use a sector plate as shown in this post (by Chubber of this parish back in 2010)
this one is used in a fiddle yard, but can just as easily be adapted to serve a run round, I believe Bembridge  on the Isle of Wight had one for run round

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=6273&forum_id=6&highlight=sector+plate

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike. Thank you for your reply. I did read the sector plate thread by Chubber and thought that it was excellent. But this is something I found, whilst googling something else. And I thought that it was interesting for others, maybe?I have got so much to do, and I’m not getting anywhere. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

They are certainly space savers if you are pushed for space and a wye or runaround are not an option.

You need to plan ahead. You will need some sort of polarity changer for the turntable bridge, especially if you are using DCC sound (in this case an electronic autoreverser), some means of getting power from a stationary object - the track - into the rotating bridge rails, some means of turning the table (usually a DC motor) and indexing the bridge to the entry and exit rails. RTR turntables and wells take most of the work out if the size works for you, home built means lots of physio. Lot cheaper though. Do your research, there are lots pitfalls and challenges  in building one of these. First one is cutting a circular hole. The slightest deviation will result in binding on one side and an unsightly gap on the other. Clearance under the board can be an issue depending on how you power the bridge.  

I was think the station you are referring to is Ventnor, not Shanklin. Nice chalk quarry with a railway tunnel. I sent you info on this some time ago.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel Thank you for your reply . Maybe that is why I quoted the wrong station name? Although the idea is not for me, I am too old for a mortgage so my own house is out of the question. But all the same it is a good space saving idea.    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
North Woolwich in London had such a turntable at the end of the line. 

In spite of what has been said earlier about double ended diesels not needing to be turne, they would still need to be released to run round their train, so would still have to use the turntable, even if only to switch from the platform track to the release road (which may also have a platform, or not).

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_woolwich/

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Rothbury,  Northumberland , was a small station that used a turntable at the end of the line to do a run round.Track plan on here.. 
Disused Stations: Rothbury Station

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff. Thank you for your reply. That is an excellent website, and very good for Southern fans. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi The Q.   Thank you for your reply. I didn’t realise how widespread the use of these Turntables was and such a space saving idea with land at a premium . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I like the one that was at Ranelegh Bridge Depot just outside of Paddington Station. 
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
These were loosely based on Ranelegh Bridge
These were the 2 modules i made for the 2010 Ymr Exhibition

Brian

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian. Very good. How loosely based were they? With so much time on my hands, but without the will to get off my fat chair , and put my plans in motion I can only dream. I must get my act together. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Extremely loosely based Kevin they were built within the specifications that all Ymr Modules had to be built within.

i built them with the general feel of Ranelegh Bridge as when i was a youngster on our London trainspotting days we always had our lunch at Royal Oak underground station platform Which was directly opposite so we watched all the Westerns and Warships being got ready for service from Paddington.

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. Have you built a “ Layout/ turntable/ run round” at all? I would like to but I haven’t seen a small one to fit in with the plan. Just a as well? I have so much to do on Inglenook Junction.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

In answer to your original question, I bashed/scratch built one of 7.5" diameter to go at the end of my last On30 build. This diameter is not available commercially. It saved some 16" compared to a runaround. A custom built one would have been around £350.  I spent less than £I00, and that included an electronic autoreverser. DC gearhead motor and DCC track.

Interesting challenge, but sector plates or traversers are easier and faster. Birmingham Moor Street High Level had some traversers that functioned as runarounds for passenger train operation, must be more examples.

The details of how the small turntable was built are described in my On30 project build. So measure the length of your longest locomotive, add 2" , and see if that diameter fits. If so goforit, if not forgedaboutit. If you look at the Noch 3-rail sector turntable that will give you some ideas regarding sector plate possibilities.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your reply. DIY does appeal to me , but, my fingers are not very cooperative at the time. I am busy with my exercises to get them back to working properly. And delaying the arthritis setting in permanently??? Wearing splints does not make life easy for every day life. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ahh, theoretical then for the moment.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.