The Great Model Railway Challenge - Discussion

Posted
Rating:

Previously Heads Up - Channel 5 (UK)

I note you carefully avoided passing any comment on the actual show Barry - was it better than Episode 1 - from our point of view as railway modellers ?

I recorded it but, if Episode 1 is an example of the series, it's a pity. 

It ought to be renamed "The Great Toy Train Challenge" because railway modelling it certainly is not ………………………

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nails, head, hit
Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs

Thanks Barry - I might watch it tonight anyway ……………………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Like many, I saw the first series and it wasn't enjoyable from a model railway point of view. Like Peter, I also had the latest efforts recorded, in the hope that things had gone onwards and upward from what had gone before.

Having watched the first episode, the show has gone downhill, seemingly prefering inane gimicks over railway modelling.The series link will be cancelled.

I'll do some modelling rather than watch this rubbish.

Just sayin' my tuppence worth,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Peter

What irritates me the most is that we have, both in the UK and overseas, a number of easily accesible very good model railway layouts in the hands of both private individuals and clubs that could form the basis of a programme featuring the fun and interests of model railways.  They can be found at any show with a little careful research.  Our own Nick Wood is amongst them!!

We also have ready made hosts in James May or Chris Barrie perhaps.  Steve Flint, who is clearly keen to get in front of a TV camera but poor at providing natural "TV tension", is the editor of the UK's most popular model railway magazine and therefore a man of some modelling integrity.

Why Oh why then do we get Tim Shaw, who I have met a few times and who is (a) a good bloke, (b) a good TV face and © a military modeller of not insignificant knowledge, pratting about like some demented child, talking in a patronising way, trying to make the contestants look really childish.

And why on earth is this a competition???  Even the series last year about Battle of Britain RC model aircraft was turned into a British vs German dog-fight competiton - WE DON'T NEED BLOODY COMPETITIONS, WE JUST NEED TO SEE DECENT MODELLING.

I agree that its more toy trains than model railways and am dismayed that the series appears to be going out of its way to use a number of contestants who are very odd-ball.  No offence intended against any individual - and I am all for inclusivity (it used to be part of my job brief when I worked in the City) - but OMG.  I will leave you to watch episode 2 to make my point.  [ Mod - If this last point is out of order, please feel free to edit it out as you see fit]

I suppose things can only get better. 

Only last month, the BBC News website carried an article on the Scottish modellers who built the Alloa 4mm scale layout.  The piece was well informed and nicely done.

So we have previous on both good and bad.  How do the modelling community get its voice over to the TV programme makers that we want to continue with model programmes on the tele, more of the good and less of the dire GMRC rubbish.  My hot-head spoutings won't change it - perhaps if the community could find a spokesperson (May or Barrie or Waterman perhaps), we might get somewhere.

Angry of West London  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I have seen about 5 minutes of the first series & it seems to me as if the TV company is treating it like those "reality" shows - making them "entertaining", not real & factual.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Thats exactly what it IS Ron, reality TV, It's aimed at that Friday night audience that want lightweight entertainment NOT an hour long special on ballasting or applying static grass.  It's definately NOT aimed at serious modellers  but if it's reaching an audience of over a million, and 1% actually go out and buy a trainset and take up our hobby ? Thats at least 10000 new modellers and if nothing else a good boost to the manufacturers coming up to Christmas.
 I'm not saying its fantastic tv but I sat through it watching the Grand kids reaction, they loved it and immediately afterwards asked if they could 'go play trains'  and SWMBO reckons its the talk of the office again with colleagues talking about starting something for 'little Jimmy or Jemima' so it's definately doing a job.

As for those taking part, they stepped forward to promote our hobby, in public, on national TV (I know I didn't !)
So  Good on em

(Although it would be interesting to see what profiling is done by the TV companies, on contestants before the competing teams are chosen  for these types of program)

:hmm

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
I've just watched the second episode and I have to say, I thought it an improvement on the first.

Yes, it's still all about gimmicks but I thought there was some quite good modelling on the layouts this time - particularly thewinning  "War of the Worlds" layout.

I suppose one could argue that it highlighted the common problems experienced when building layouts - misaligned track, too large gaps, derailments, problems associated with track joints on lift-outs and lift-ups plus all manner of electrical problems.  When seeing some of these errors in close up, it does remind one just how important it is to concentrate on the finer points of modelling.

As Matt said, if only a tiny fraction of those watching subsequently bought a "train set", that's got to be great for the hobby.

Interestingly, "Jenny Kirk" the girl with the glasses in the winning team, has a You Tube blog some of which I've watched whilst looking for other things.  Nlot sure if she considers herself an expert or just a good introduction to the hobby.

Whilst it obviously lacks any kind of detail for "proper" railway modellers, I think I may well continue to record the series …………………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
In reply to your post Barry - I couldn't agree more !!  There are some incredibly layouts everywhere throughout the country - one only has to attend an exhibition to see what a high standard modellers can achieve.

On the other hand, I'm not sure a "tour" of exhibition standard layouts would make good national TV.  Maybe a dedicated channel showing the construction techniques followed by the end result would have a certain (not insignificant) following but I'm not sure they would be enough to make such a channel a commercial success.

"Outside" broadcasting, or recording, is horrendously expensive so, to screen such a programme on a "free" channel I doubt could ever work.

When one looks at all the programmes that have been abandoned on grounds of cost, it leaves one wondering how we have any "original" TV at all …………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Whilst it obviously lacks any kind of detail for "proper" railway modellers, I think I may well continue to record the series …………………………

I said something similar or another forum (NGRMO) Peter, and someone took umbrage (oops)

Turns out he was on one of the teams.

I replied it was just my opinion, but I am now beginning to wonder what 'Railway Modelling' actually is.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed, I learnt some time ago that it takes all kinds …………………

People are so touchy about things and are unable to accept that what's one man's meat is another man's poison.  It's those differences that make life so interesting.  As an example, I know it's hard to believe but I understand some modellers even model the GWR ……………………. 

I don't get up-tight about that.  Quite the contrary, it helps with my smug feeling of superiority …………… :cheers

When all said and done, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - those who don't agree with me usually see the error of their ways and admit they're wrong fairly quickly…………. :lol: :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Well I know we always say railway modelling is a broad church Peter, but …………………………… :???:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

People are so touchy about things and are unable to accept that what's one man's meat is another man's poison.  It's those differences that make life so interesting.  As an example, I know it's hard to believe but I understand some modellers even model the GWR ……………………. 

I don't get up-tight about that.  Quite the contrary, it helps with my smug feeling of superiority …………… :cheers

When all said and done, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - those who don't agree with me usually see the error of their ways and admit they're wrong fairly quickly…………. :lol: :lol:

Peter, you wait until your mate John from Vancouver reads this   :mutley

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

That's what I like.
A man who's always right even when he's wrong  :cheers

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:

Peter, you wait until your mate John from Vancouver reads this   :mutley

Who ?  I don't have any mates in Vancouver Sol ………………………well, maybe not any more ………. :hmm :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Tony, it's my pleasure and I'm honoured ………………………………. :cheers :cheers :cheers :mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Wot, there were other companies?? Ah, the LNER, I remember it now, clapped out main bearings on those A4 locomotives, solved with a GWR design. Pity the CME didn't go to the Swindon university. Oh, and the locomotive trials, didn't the GWR come out top dog? Twice as I recall. And I did read somewhere about a twitchy dynamometer car outside of Peterborough. And how those robust and reliable GWR locomotives gave sterling service up t'north in WW2. 

Definitely the Great Way Round. Or was it grub, water and rest? No matter, superiority will out.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I watch it as a tv show…not as an example of railway modelling , I do worry that the visitors to our show,
 Broadland Model Railway Club's. Aylsham Model Railway Exhibition 2019
The 2019 Model Railway Exhibition, sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway, will be held in the Jubilee Centre, Aylsham, NR11 6JG on Saturday 5th October between 10.00 and 16.00
will be expecting vast amounts of "effects".

Those here, where I work,  the non modellers say how they liked the show..

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Greasy, wet and rusty!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1938]The Q[/user] wrote:
I watch it as a tv show…not as an example of railway modelling , I do worry that the visitors to our show,
 Broadland Model Railway Club's. Aylsham Model Railway Exhibition 2019
The 2019 Model Railway Exhibition, sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway, will be held in the Jubilee Centre, Aylsham, NR11 6JG on Saturday 5th October between 10.00 and 16.00
will be expecting vast amounts of "effects".

Those here, where I work,  the non modellers say how they liked the show..
Don't worry Q, as long as you've got a couple of volcanoes, a landslide or two and a few Martian tripods, I'm sure it'll be fine  :lol:

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.