The Great Model Railway Challenge - Discussion

Posted
Rating:
#246045 (In Topic #13590)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Previously Heads Up - Channel 5 (UK)

Just in case you don't know, a new series of 'Great Model Railway Challenge' starts tonight at 8:00pm on Channel 5.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/the-great-model-railway-challenge-2019-channel-5-time-judges-new-series/

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Also available in mainline Europe with a freeview box and suitable dish. I'll be watching, thanks Ed.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hopefully, I've recorded it.   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Having watched it, I think it  should have been entitled 'Great Model Scenery with Gimmicks Challenge'.

I think there were some trains, somewhere, but I either blinked or dozed off and missed 'em.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I think the first episode was edited to hook in those who wouldn't normally watch it just to see trains running ?My impression is that the program is more tilted towards scenery and a whole visual experience rather than the actual operation although the winning team were given due credit for the fact their track seamed the most reliable. 

The annoying thing for me is the American style editing in most programs these days. . .just as you go to adverts it's the 'coming up'  shots giving away some of what is going to happen 

Overall impression of the first episode, its light entertainment for a Friday night, enjoyable but not to be taken too seriously  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Very much like the first series then Matt ……………….?

I haven't watched this one yet but, as a railway modeller, was disappointed with the first series in that it seemed to be aimed at non-serious modellers.

However, as someone commented, if it encourages others to join the hobby, then it's a good thing.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi All

As I have said before, I think the whole thing is a bit of an insult to serious modellers.

However, its Railway Modelling on the tele and if a number of young people think "I fancy playing with trains" then its "job done".

When these newbies get more into it, we can set them straight - steam not diesel, proper track not train set track, scenery not gimmicks and DCC not H&M (that's sweet coming from me!)    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The programme makers should be considering looking at PROPER railway modelling in the context of other modelling media (RC aircraft, RC boats, wargaming, slot cars, dolls houses, etc).  A series could be put together to show the benefits and pleasure available from any one of them and a few more I've probably forgotten.

Come on Channel 5 - you've got s*d all else to put on that isn't a repeat!!!!!

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Very much like the first series then Matt ……………….?

I haven't watched this one yet but, as a railway modeller, was disappointed with the first series in that it seemed to be aimed at non-serious modellers.

However, as someone commented, if it encourages others to join the hobby, then it's a good thing.
Yes, like the first series, yes, seems to be aimed at the non-serious, and yes, could be an encouragement.

I watched it last week, and cringed. I shan't be watching any more episodes :sad:

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
In my view, to sum it up (both series), it's ok as entertainment, but it ain't railway modelling as we know it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Well, I can watch it in Spain and did.
It is entertainment but sometimes gets you shouting at the telly.
Yes we could all do better but perhaps we don't have the 3 day time constraint that they do.
I have spent 3 hours in my model room today with some updates to the track scenery and wifey would probably not notice just what I have accomplished so, credit to the guys and gals on the programme for achieving what they do.
O'h and by the way Barry, I take issue with your newbies claim - 'When these newbies get more into it, we can set them straight - steam not diesel, proper track not train set track, scenery not gimmicks and DCC not H&M (that's sweet coming from me!)'
I regard myself as a serious model railway hobbyist and my era is BR blue (with the Flying Scotsman on the occasional special outing). Many modellers coming into the hobby incorporate the change over from steam to diesel and run both. Just thought I would make my point.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Having just had 10 days of what passes for entertainment in UK TV (is that an oxymoron?) I found it quite refreshing. Cliff hanger commercial break editing and all. 
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gary

I modelled both steam AND diesel on the Yarslow system (see thread) and was just trying to make a point that a GWR 0-4-0 and a new Class 66 are often seen together on "newbie" layouts but make strange bedfellows.

When I started (early 1970's), my layout had a B12, M7 and Class 31 in blue - we've all been there!!

I was just making the point that new entrants into the hobby do not need to get everything right - we just need new entrants into the hobby.  I'm with you when it comes to running that transition period, probably for the same reasons you do.

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry,
I see your point now, it was just that it seemed you were advocating steam as opposed to diesel.
I do remember steam running a short distance from my parents house in Essex but my main interest emulated from my train spotting days in the early 80's - hence the diesel.
I do agree that to mix and match just sometimes does not fit but to some (until they become more seriously involved), seeing trains running around is all that they want. If that gets them into the hobby then in my books they are welcome. I know that is what you were getting at and no offence meant.

Gary

Posted
Rating:
I suspect Barry was slightly tongue in cheek Gary.  Afterall, we know that serious modellers only ever model the LNER ……………………………………….. :mutley :pedal :pedal

As we're on the subject of "taking issue", I have to pull you up on your comments about UK TV Nigel.  Yes, it's not what it used to be in the halcyon days of money trees producing excellent drama programmes but, compared  with US TV, "ours" in in a league of it's own.  When you break it down, most of the rubbish is American repeats.  French TV is dreadful - unless one is prepared to stay up until near midnight but even that knocks spots off American TV - IMHO of course ………………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Spanish TV is the same Peter but I am lucky to be able to receive the UK broadcasts - well most of them.
I gather that Barry's post was slightly tongue in cheek but there is nothing like a bit of banter from time to time even if it does mean that we are hijacking the thread - sorry guys.
Sorry, what is LNER?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edit: by thespanishdriver

Gary

Posted
Rating:
[user=2045]thespanishdriver[/user] wrote:
………………………………………………………………
 Sorry, what is LNER?  :lol: :lol:
:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2045]thespanishdriver[/user] wrote:
Well, I can watch it in Spain and did.
It is entertainment but sometimes gets you shouting at the telly.
Yes we could all do better but perhaps we don't have the 3 day time constraint that they do.
I thought I heard that they have two or three months advance warning for planning and constructing set pieces?

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I suspect Barry was slightly tongue in cheek Gary.  Afterall, we know that serious modellers only ever model the LNER ……………………………………….. :mutley :pedal :pedal

As we're on the subject of "taking issue", I have to pull you up on your comments about UK TV Nigel.  Yes, it's not what it used to be in the halcyon days of money trees producing excellent drama programmes but, compared  with US TV, "ours" in in a league of it's own.  When you break it down, most of the rubbish is American repeats.  French TV is dreadful - unless one is prepared to stay up until near midnight but even that knockes spots off American TV - IMHO of course …………………….. 
Which league are we talking about? The 4th?  :lol: :lol: :lol: The worst of U.S. tv formulaic pap seems to be shown at prime time here rather than at 03:00 am. I suspect the good shows are too expensive for what looks like low budget broadcasting here. And no PBS as far as I can see, which really is quality and not subject to undue government influence. We do get the really good UK ones via Mhz and Britbox, infrequent as they are. As well as those from Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Germany, Italy, even France… Plus a minimum of 4 Premiere League matches a week.  :doublethumb :doublethumb :doublethumb And a couple of model railroad channels.

At least the dogs get pulled if the ratings are not met. 

Nigel

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi all

Over the summer we have had quite a number of train related programmes on the UK mainstream TV.  Not a lot on Freeview but then those programmes just tend, I think, to be clotheshorses for adverts!!

Histories of European lines (usually poorly made 60-minute prograames that could be shown in 20 minutes of they cut out the nonsense repetition), Mr Portillo at his best, modelling and tonight, a programme about the Highland line in a series about "Beautiful train journeys".

All good stuff methinks - I may not be interested in all of it but a wide spread of topics and thats a good thing.

I fear that we are some way from Nigels "2 channels of model railroading" but we can continue to dream……….

Barry

Posted
Rating:
2nd episode of GMRC tonight on Channel 5.  Luckily the team that came 3rd (of 3) was the one whose trains wouldn't run without derailment.  Irrespective of the quality of the scenery/gimmicks, at least it shows that the trains' performance is having some effect on the judges!!

Barry

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.