Sleeper built buffer stop

Posted
Rating:

DIY dimensions

Hi Guys,

As a normally satisfied Hattons customer, who has always received very prompt attention with any isues with mail orders, I'm rather concerned with a possible error over a clearly stated price.

I logged-on to Hattons site and checked the box for these buffer stops (SL-41) at £1.60 and went to my basket and increased the quantity to five and noted the delivery charge of £2.75. On the basket total, the VAT element was clearly shown with a breakdown into nett price plus VAT, to give the total overal price of £8.00, inc VAT.

To avoid confusion, the £1.60 unit price specifically says includes VAT. The total for all five buffer stops is £8.00, plus £2.75 delivery, making a total of £10.75.

Are you saying that you were charged £10.00 plus £2.75 delivery, making a total invoiced sum of £12.75 Kevin?

The difference between £2.00 and £1.60 is not the VAT at 20%, so something is certainly confussed here, as this is clearly not a VAT issue.

Hopefully you'll get an explanation from Hattons very soon Kevin and hopefully get your £2.00 back!

Good luck,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Brian. The Peco sleeper built buffer stops were advertised at £1.60 plus each and I purchased five of them P & P was £ 2.75 which wasn’t too bad, but, when they arrived today, I was charged £2.00 each. And there wasn’t a mention of “ Ex Vat. I think that they are taking the P155. Best wishes Kevin
Hi Kevin,

You have been overcharged. Demand a refund. The Hattons price is £1.60 including VAT, £1.33 ex-VAT. Postage for 1 is £2.75, 5 would be the same. Unless they dinged you 40p postage for each one. Peco doesn't have a PI55 item.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
    Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. There was definitely no mention in the advertised price of Ex Vat. No I did not expect to pay £10.75 , and I accepted the P & P of  Â£2.75 as fair where some sharks expect a much higher P & P.I expected to pay £9.15 . Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your support. I like your thinking 🤔. I will go over my previous dealings, and await a response from Hattons.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.    This is another reply. I have just read on Hattons advert “ All prices include VAT”. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Bill.    This is another reply. I have just read on Hattons advert “ All prices include VAT”. Best wishes Kevin

That is correct,VAT is only removed for sales outside of the EU. You in the UK pay the VAT, I don't & what I save ,pays for the postage

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
    Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. There was definitely no mention in the advertised price of Ex Vat. No I did not expect to pay £10.75 , and I accepted the P & P of  Â£2.75 as fair where some sharks expect a much higher P & P.I expected to pay £9.15 . Best wishes Kevin 
Then if you expected to pay £9.15, you must have only wanted four buffer stops Kevin, not the five you previously mentioned.

As I said before, you only get to see the VAT breakdown when you go to the basket page to pay.

Mystery solved then. I'm sure you'll find a spot for the extra buffer stop.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  I must admit my error, I did receive five, so it is most likely that I received what I had ordered.And that means I am not a “ blue tit “ I am a “ great “ Modeller but cannot count . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Bill has pointed out my error, even I am going metric. Or half metric? Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian.  Re your idea about sitting at the coffee table downstairs, I did a thread along those lines about finding it hard work sitting down to solder ( in 2017 ) one solution to the problem, I think was about using a bedside table, which is still hard work when one learned to solder standing up . But I do have a bedside table, so I will try that with the plastic kits. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Another solution Kevin is a bean bag lap tray.

You can sit in your favorite armchair and do some modelling using one of those.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
I have just seen this post, a lot of replies mention ballast on the top. In my experience of the prototype the rear bin is rarely full ballast but is a contained earth bund, normally covered in weeds, old bottles and junk! Incidentally the Peco Rail built ones are a pretty good copy of the standard L.S.W.R and S.R. rail built stops. Dont forget that the lamp is red on buffer stops unless they are adjacent to running lines when they are white, so as not to be confused with running signals. 
One of the things I used to question when I was in the S&T was why the buffer stop lamps weren't maintained by us as technically they were the final 'stop' signal on a route. After all the last running signal when entering a terminus cannot be pulled off to a greater aspect than a single yellow - or is distant fixed to 'on' if a mechanical one. This led to interesting discussions about putting buffer stop lamps into locking circuits with all the paraphernalia and so on that would entail, especially if they were still oil lit!

Cheers
Simon

Oh well back to the asylum

Posted
Rating:
Hi Simon.  Thank you for your reply I will dress my sleeper built buffer stops with your comments in mind. As for confusion about “ stray red lights “ ? Any driver on the line in question would have had road training.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian. I have managed to build one “ sleeper built buffer stop “, I have been having trouble with the Peco choice of plastic and weld. But I went for Revell contacts professional glue, and that works okay. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Well done Kevin nice to hear you have now started some modelling the buffer stops will make a nice little project to do in the armchair.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian . Thank you, just one problem, Four of five of the buffer stops have gone walk about. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
One point with that type of peco sleeper built buffer boxes is they practically didn't exist. 
Why would someone go to the work of cutting sleepers to that sloped shape, They didn't they normally had a flat top. 

Those type buffer boxes were normally built with full or half sleepers therefore one sleeper width facing the track And between a half or 3/4 a sleeper high.
That's 8ft 6inch wide, 34mm in 4mm scale,  17mm in 2mm
4ft 3inches high 17mm in 4mm,  8.5mm in 2mm. Half sleeper
6ft4inches 25mm high in 4 mm, 12mm in 2mm 3/4 sleeper. 

Buffers themselves are normally set at roughly 3ft 6inches above track level. 

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Any bits of old Peco track you can use as 'sleepers'? I'm sure these things were done as economic measures in all sorts of sozes and shapes. Indeed, on lightly use sidings a simple sleepr chained to the track sufficed.I've found Peco track plastic difficult to glue and rsorted to contact adhesive [IIRC]

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug. Thank you for your reply. I have discovered that PITA fact, something to do with flexibility?Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.