Kevin, rolling stock weight
       or
http://amra.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/03/massstandard.pdf

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. I knew that I read it somewhere, I just hope that I get that far with so many fiddly bits. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

One ounce plus 0.5 ounces per inch length. Or 28g plus 14 g per 25.4mm. Metal wheelsets add a bit more. 

That's for HO 1:87, and S 1:64. So good for OO.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply. I will have to read that very carefully, with the Dapol RTR Wagons I filled all the space available. But now I have the answer I will comply with the standard. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your reply. Sounds good, but why more for metal wheelsets? With these wagons I think that the centre of gravity may be higher, not so good for Shunting. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I dunno why, but for some reason I've got 30 grams stuck in my head for OO gauge wagons.

Could be when I was playing around with my shunting puzzle plank and trying out Kadees.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. My modus operandi for Dapol RTR Wagons was to unscrew the bodywork and fit the Kadees then carve up some styrene and frame the liquid lead before gluing it in position. And of course reassembly.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

If you compare plastic wheels with metal ones the metal ones mass more. one of the reasons they run better.The NMRA guidelines are in my opinion a bit light. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply. Fortunately the wheels are metal, but, if they weren’t I would have changed them.Regarding mass , I would have thought that meant say comparing tractor tyres with lorry tyres. I try to follow expert advice, provided that it is given by experts? Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Mass is just the amount of matter a body has. Two wheels, one of plastic (mostly carbon) one of metal (usually a metal alloy) of the same dimensions will not weigh the same. Carbon (atom)  has a lower mass than copper or iron (atom). That is why lead or more commonly now steel is used as weights. You would need almost 20 times more plastic than lead if you went by volume. Probably more as there is a lot of empty space in plastic polymers. Should probably be comparing pure graphite rather than plastic.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply. I can see the error of my ways /interpretation. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.    Another question after such a long time considering this project . “liquid lead “ or similar to add weight to the kit. I am intent on using super glue inside the kits to add an equal amount, to the weight used by Dapol in RTR versions of the kits. Best wishes Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi All.  With my inexperience at kit building I should have kept it simple. I have been using Kadee Couplers for a while now, but, that is on RTR wagons not kits., and I have reached the point where couplers are fitted. By replacing the originals with Kadees I have got to get the height correct, preferably at the first attempt and in a neat fashion.Has anyone replaced the kit couplers like this before. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
You seem to have asked this question before Kevin in Post No 12 of this thread and Nigel gave you the answer which I'm copying here, as he is currently away from the forum.

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 03:28 pm

The usual things - height gauge, the coupler, plastic shims (make your  own or KD), glue and screw to go through the gear box hole. If you use  NEM KDs you will need the mounting blocks from Parkside/Peco and some  boxes from Bachmann NEM tension lock couplers.

I usually use KD screws and whisker couplers.

NIgel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Hope this helps and I trust you have a height gauge,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.   Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are correct but, As far as the TV is concerned I received a letter which prompted me to write again. As far the Kadee couplers go, that is different because this time I will have to be careful as I am building kits and not starting with a RTR wagon. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Don't worry about it Kevin, we get lots of pretty deplorable legal looking and sounding letters from the TV licensing people at a property we use in the UK whenever we can get there. They threaten illegal proceedings and say they have instigated proceedings against us, as they know that there is no TV licence registered to that address, but do not know our name! They have no legal authority to carry out many of the so called enforcement actions against us, so we continue to ignore all their letters, just as they have ignored the one we had once sent to them explaining the situation. The peculiar thing is that they do not know who we are, which is fine and appropriate, as they are faceless morons.

The post Nigel had written was specifically in response to your request with kits, so I hope it is of help to you.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  After a long time with this project “ on the back burner “ I have begun again by weighing the piece of metal from a RTR Dapol wagon and putting that amount of liquid lead in the partly built Dapol kit , at the time of writing, the weight of the piece of metal in question is 8 grams. Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.