Wills and Ratio plastic

Posted
Rating:
#245110 (In Topic #13531)

Tools for cutting and shaping

Hi All.  Even though I change blades on a regular basis I cannot cut plastic sheet in one go without faffing around,Most of the time is spent smoothing burrs. And even making several passes with blade against a straight edge I have trouble keeping the blade in the first cut. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The easiest way to cut plastic sheet is to score and snap.

So you make one or two passes with the knife dependent on the thickness then snap it off, a quick clean up with sandpaper or a file and it gives a nice clean edge., practice on some scrap.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Hi Andy. Thank you for your reply. I can do that with styrene sheets, but, the plastic sheet from Ratio and Wills doesn’t seem to cut like that for me. And with smaller sizes it does seem impossible.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Wills building sheets are extremely thick. The cut and snap does work fine with slaters plasticard you can do that with Wills but you have to cut through at least a half before you can do it.

When cutting wills i use a standard stanley type utility knife which makes  the cutting easier as you can apply more weight to the cut as you have more grip on the knife.

My cutting rule straight edge has a handle which allows me to put more pressure on the workpiece and hold it in place.

Generally you do have to use some sandpaper to rub the edge on to finish the edge.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian.  Thank you for your reply. I do have a Stanley knife and recently purchased some spare blades, the straight edge that I have is a Maun, but, that is not supposed to be as straight as it should be??? The cross section lid like a letter M, and the fingers rest in the centre .  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I usually use a spare off cut block of wood for a straight edge. Usually do a few light scores first and then once the knife follows the grove apply a little more pressure and then bend back and forth until it comes apart. 
As Brian said, follow it up with a quick sand and then paint!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  Thank you for your reply. That is what I do , but, I am not pleased with the results, wherehas with styrene sheet it makes a clean cut, in one go. Likewise using a razor saw does the same in a mitre box, if the piece that you are working will fit in. I have plenty of time to think about it as my hands aren’t very cooperative at the time of writing.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Here is the cutting edge i use Kevin note the good grip handle on it would be a lot better for someone who does no longer have great grip strength in their hands.
you can get different size ones i bought mine at the Range but these are available at many craft shops.

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian.   Thank you for your reply. You have hit the nail on the head there with my rheumatoid arthritis, which is a PITA  I have a job holding a pencil. But, I am busy with my exercises to see if I can improve or delay progression of RA . It may be better if I made the model from wood or Cardboard and covered it with Slater’s brick sheet???
   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Fine tooth saw and small box,  then sand to line with a block or file. Too much pressure from a Stanley knife will deform rather than cut. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I have recently been using the Tamiya plastic scriber for plastic sheet cutting and am more or less a complete convert to it now.

Last edit: by Ben Alder

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ben. Thank you for your reply. I will look out for a Tamiya plastic scriber “ the first chance I get, by the way my iPad is having trouble with “ Tamiya “.  . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Easily found on eBay.

Posted
Rating:
. . . and Amazon. One is due to be delivered today. Thanks for the tip Ben.
Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. I do appreciate your advice, but with my experience of mail order, unless it is an high value item, the.  Post and Packing charge can sometimes be asked expensive as the goods. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian. This is another reply. Being as awkward as I am? Even though I like your straight edge idea, me being me, I think that it would be better if I purchased a shorter version of the straight edge. Are they available? Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Amazon are often free delivery, but the charge on mine to France was minimal.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for the information. But I would rather go to a model Railway show and off set the entrance fee, or use my free ( whilst it is still free) Transport to visit a local shop. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Kevin the Jakar cutting ruler is available in 2 sizes  450mm long (18 inch)  and 1000mm long 3ft 3 inches.

I have the 450mm one Kevin for the sort of modelling we do that is fine its not heavy and with the handle thats on it for you it will be very helpfull with your hands holding the workpiece in place.

If you have a Range near you there are £9.99

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian . Thank you for your reply. As I said, I am awkward and 450 mm would get in the way. Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.