What company / Outline do you model

Posted
Rating:
Sorry - forgot to add a comment :oops:

I model American simply because of the availablity, quality and price of U.S. locomotives in the region or via easy mail order.  In an ideal world, on a future layout, or if I come into a vast sum of money that would enable me to import the kit - I would probably model GWR :!:

There - I've said it now :!:   Out in the open :!:  I do like GWR after all :!:  :wink:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
anything i like 8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's Green Diesel era for me, with a few clapped out steam engines coming to the end of their life and maybe creeping in to Corporate Blue, so the 10 years between 1965 - 75 is the period for me!

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
When I eventually get down to it (!) mine will be GWR in the 1950's - and possibly Southern too if I can find a reason for it!!!
Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
I put other but dont know why because i run what i like to be honest, mostly 08 shunters as i love them, strange i suppose.
Now i have to admit and it is only because of my research i did and from reading threads on here but i would if i could afford it just run GWR if i could. They seem to have a lovely range of steam train's.
Yes i said it Jeff, Perry sorry but hey he has convinced me finally   :oops:  :)
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes :!:  :!:  :!: , a true "road to Demascus" event

Phill could only manage it in very small letters, but it's there :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I voted LNER because it seemed to offer the best opportunity for industrial landscapes, Manchester boy but full on Northerner at heart. My fondest memories of many years spent in West Yorkshire bring back vivid impressions of the incredible capacity of the North County to accommodate just about any industry and exploit the landscape in the pursuit of the mighty dollar, or in our case Lsd!! The canals, mills, steelworks, mines and even small engineering plants in both the major urban regions and in the countryside remind me of a time when I feel we were at our best, showing our energy and inventiveness. Seems like a worthwhile project to describe how we trashed our green and pleasant land, and still be able to get some pleasure from modelling the result - I really must get out more.  :roll:  :roll:

Some fascinating posts in this topic, and I was interested to see Les, coming from the same area with a completely different response to the impression it made for him.

Froggy - John
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Although my heart belongs to the GWR,I do have a handful of SR locos.A spamcan(Belgian Packet),acouple of 0-6-0ts,an 0-6-2t(part built)and that lovely dapol 0-4-4t.
  I also have a soft spot for the LMS,and am very tempted by some of their latest N gauge offerings!!!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well, it's BR Western region for me too!
I tend to model what I remember from my pre teenage years and being "dragged" up in the "Black Country explains it.
In those days Wolverhampton low level station was still open and that is where we used to get the train for Barmouth and the Cambrian.
It was still Western region in those days, before Beeching and the butchers from the Midland region took over!
Sadly nearly all gone but memories last for ever.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Last edit: by Kevr

'Kev

Posted
Rating:

phill said

I put other but dont know why because i run what i like to be honest, mostly 08 shunters as i love them, strange i suppose.
Now i have to admit and it is only because of my research i did and from reading threads on here but i would if i could afford it just run GWR if i could. They seem to have a lovely range of steam train's.
Yes i said it Jeff, Perry sorry but hey he has convinced me finally   :oops:  :)
Phill

I'm disappointed in you, Phill.  :(   :(  :roll:  :wink:  :D  Still, at least you had the decency to use small letters so they are easier to ignore.  :lol:  :lol:

….and Jeff: I wish you would stop encouraging  these youngsters to stray from the path of proper railways. There's Tim trying to keep us on the straight and narrow (in my case without any hope whatsoever) and you are undoing all his good work.

Perry

P.S. For the benefit of newer members, and just so no-one is offended, this mock feud over the GWR between Jeff and me has been going on since the start of the first incarnation of this forum - when dinosaurs still ruled the Earth. It's all in fun as Jeff and Phill well know.  :wink:  :D

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:

Last edit: by Kevr

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Perry wrote and i shall qoute it here I wish you would stop encouraging these youngsters to stray from the path of proper railways.

At last he belives i am young, see i knew he would belive i was 22  :D  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

phill said

Perry wrote and i shall qoute it here I wish you would stop encouraging these youngsters to stray from the path of proper railways.

At last he belives i am young, see i knew he would belive i was 22  :D  :D
Phill

Well, seeing you type those words (even if they were small means that I can believe anything about you, Phill.
21 you say :?:  Really :!:  as old as that :!:  :?:

Now all I have to do is convert Perry.
That would be as remarkable as the conversion of St. Paul :!:  :!:

Pity really, nice guy, quite a talented modeller, but no taste in railways :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now i have a theory Jeff. You see Perry has not mentioned his layout for a while so i reckon he is a secret GWR modeller and so he is really doing a GWR project. So at the moment he is trying to think of ways to tell us he really is a GWR MAN through and through,  :D  :D .
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well, I've posted my vote (LMS North,Midlands) and it looks as though I'm the only one at this stage!!  LMS (Midland Div'n) is my main preference but I intend to run SR, LNER and GWR on the layout also and it's my railway, so there!!  Trouble is I've got nothing running yet but I'll get there.!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I should have mentioned that despite my preference for American diesels now, about 25 years ago I did have a small table top n scale layout running S&DJR \ LMS  :shock:

To be honest it never came to much as I was in the RAF at the time and moving about too much  :cry:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Gwent Rail said

Now all I have to do is convert Perry.
That would be as remarkable as the conversion of St. Paul :!:  :!:

Pity really, nice guy, quite a talented modeller, but no taste in railways :!:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
It seems that although GWR modellers can muster 30% of the vote, the two second largest groups (American & LNER/Early BR East) combine in a 38% coalition.

So Jeff - a minority government :!:   You'd better be nice to us …. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Posted
Rating:
I said LNER/BR east.  That's not absolutely true - my era is late steam/early diesel and the area is (again roughly) the Yorks / Lancs borders - "stone buildings country" with the dark satanic mills and engineering works that Froggy remembers so well.

The reason - it's youth really.  I went to school in York and whenever we could "escape" the school grounds, we rushed off to stand on the old hump-backed footbridge at 12.58 to see the Flying Scotsman thunder through on it's Edinburgh/Kings X non-stop run.  In those days, invariably hauled by an A4 "Streak" or on the odd occasion, a Deltic type diesel.  Having great friends in Leeds and Huddersfield meant fairly regular train journeys via Leeds - City and Central stations both operated then - and both ex LNER and ex LMS stock were common sights.

I'm in tune with Froggy - the North was Britain's power house and, without being too un-PC, in those days we had every right to call ourselves "Great" Britain.

Petermac

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.