Wombat Creek Tramways

Posted
Rating:

The year is 1963 somewhere in Victoria, Australia

Hi Claus

Great looking bar!  I populated my buffet car and dressed the tables with paper plates (hole punch chads), food (painted blob of superglue gel) and glasses (short Plastruct rod pieces).  From a distance/through the carriage windows, I was really pleased with it.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry, Fantastic idea. I may give it a go in the restaurant on the first floor .

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Finally – a busy bar

Unlike present day Melbourne the bar at Duncan & Fraser is busy as never before. Every table is booked and no room left for the proprietor.

I used 'flash' for the photo. I will install ceiling lights so  future photo should better show the lively atmosphere in the bar.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Loved the cab ride Claus and the hotel is really stunning - with and without lights.

I'm just wondering how many rooms it has - 200 people descending all at once will put the housemaids under some strain …..  :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Loved the cab ride Claus and the hotel is really stunning - with and without lights.

I'm just wondering how many rooms it has - 200 people descending all at once will put the housemaids under some strain …..  :lol:
Thank you for your comments.

Fortunately Wombat Creek has more than one hotel/bar, so I am sure some of the 200 new residents will attend the Mug Punter Hotel near the Racecourse or Wombat Cave in Victoria Street. If they crave for Chinese, The Golden Dragon in the former 'Diggers Rest Hotel' is the place to go. Finally there are the Tea Rooms in East Street.

Last edit: by Claus Ellef

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange – part 18

With Melbourne in lock-down 6.0 I can go no further than 5 km from home, so I have some time to work on the Bank or more precisely the shops in the basement. 'City Hatters' on the corner has got window displays and a display 'cabinet' next to the quite narrow steps leading down to the entrance. Further along a bicycle shop has been stuck on (yes, at the moment it looks like something glued on to the building). The footpath along and past the building has been paved. Unfortunately a rather 'big' gap needs to be filled next to the main steps.

To prevent people from falling into 'City Hatters' railings will be erected in front of the shop and along the steps. Also, a canopy will constructed above both shops.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
In great need of a building

Melbourne City Council erected more the 40 public toilets between 1903 and 1918, most with 2 stalls. Eight of these remain, all still being used for their original purpose. The structures employed a prefabricated system which enabled the urinals to be assembled on site or dismantled and relocated if required. This occurred often, as their prominent locations in the streets sometimes offended contemporary standards of public decency. This could be the reason most of the toilets have the entrances quite near the curb.

Wombat Creek has received a couple of surplus toilets from Melbourne. A 4 stall unit has been erected three years ago in front of the town hall. Another smaller 2 stall toilet has a temporary spot in front of the Bank. It partly covers a smother of the newly laid pavers. In the attempt to close the gap between pavers they got too wet and partly disintegrated. To pull them all up again and do the whole odd shaped footpath was not an attractive solution.

The toilet is of course very convenient for male tram passengers in need, but also very inconvenient if the doors of a stopping trams happen to be just in front of the building. In the future I will probably relocate the little building and perhaps replace it by a small kiosk selling newspapers and magazines.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Blue skies over Wombat Creek

Well, not quite. More like 'blue skies behind Wombat Creek'. To be able to work on the buildings near the edge of the layout I needed the background to be installed. The sky scene and the backing were purchased years ago, so it was a matter of putting it all together. It looks okay, but…

There is an unexpected colour difference between two of the sheets and the cloud cover doesn't quite match up. It can partly be rectified with the upcoming buildings. The backing is curved around the corner, which I thought could cause a problem. It did! The background sky is printed on self-adhesive paper and was stuck to the flat panel. Bending the panel unfortunately caused some ripples. I had hoped the rather strong bonding between the panel and sheets would have been enough to prevent this problem. Unfortunately not, but I will live with the ripples for the time being (which will probably be forever!).

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
No need to hurry?

The general pace in Wombat Creek is slow. Very slow. The photo below is from August 9, 2020.

It has taken a year to get to the next photo.

In fact nothing had happened to Queen Victoria Market until a week ago. The mean reason was the lack of a back scene. The back scene had to come up before the depth of the market and curvature of the roof could be calculated. As seen from the photos the height of the building has been extended. The main entrance was too low. Still more to do. The skylight (hardly visible) needs glazing and a photo will give an impression of the interior visible through the main entrance.

Another challenge to the right of the market is to rectify the obvious/common mistake of a road leading directly into the sky! A row of shops should do the trick and also improve the perspective.No need to hurry?

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Didn't COVID slow things down  Claus ?   :mutley

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Didn't COVID slow things down  Claus ?   :mutley
Well, Wombat Creek is stuck in time - 1963. So I  can't 'blame' Covid for the slow progress.
 It is more a matter of finding time to work on the tramways and stick to one project at the time. But I am not in a hurry. As long as I enjoy what I am doing it's fine, no matter how long it takes. 

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
A market update

No, I am not thinking of the stock market! Instead there has been some progress on Wombat Creek's own Queen Victoria Market.

Trees have been planted; a mail box is ready for important letters from stall holders; the steps have been equipped with handrails for the elderly and perhaps dizzy traders celebrating a good turn-over.

Gaps between the steps and the ground are due to the fact, the steps still has to be glued in place.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange – part 19

Great news! The Bank is almost finished. With the canopy along the Golden Mile and railings around the City Hatter shop finished, only a few signs and the clock above the entrance need to be installed. I am on the look-out for a working clock but may settle for a fixed clock face.

With almost no people around the two photos could be from the 2021 lock-down, but with Wombat Creek locked in a 1963 time warp, the steps and footpaths will soon be full of people enjoying everyday life.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
That is great news. So much work has gone into it and it really shows. Top modelling. 

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek and Gold Exchange – part 20

It is a sunny afternoon in Wombat Creek, A couple of gentlemen are at the bank with suitcases full of gold or banknotes. An elderly Miss Jennifer are on her way up the steps to make a small withdrawal. A couple  of girls sit on the steps to the right whispering about them all. A salesman are leaving City Hatters. Did he have any success selling his newest range of hats? He certainly didn't buy one himself!

In real life Melbourne City Hatters is part of the iconic Flinders Street Station. The shop's website, https://www.cityhatters.com.au/, reads:

City Hatters has served old, young, titled, swaggiesfooty followers, RSL, race goers, Governors General, actors, personalities and anyone requiring a hat for any occasion. 

City Hatters began trading as a hat shop, beneath the clocks at Flinders Street station in 1910.

Originally it was the station master’s office when Flinders Street station was built and after this, the builder used the office when the master moved upstairs. It became a hat shop owned and managed by the Buzolich family and called Buzolich’s. Doug Buzolich was one of five brothers who owned 4 shops in Melbourne and one in Geelong. The one remaining was the Flinders Street shop.

HB’s acquired Buzolich’s in 1927. Wallace, Buck (of Henry Bucks fame) & Goodes were major suppliers and Henry Buck himself acquired the business after a friendly exchange of assets and debts and have owned and managed the store ever since.

In 1934 Bill Littlehales became the manager and buyer and worked there for over 50 years and was one of the last of the legendary great hatters, retiring finally in 1990.

Major events in the City Hatters calendar are The Derby, The Melbourne Cup and Christmas.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Ah drat, now I need to change my photo of the month selection!

Posted
Rating:
The Flinders Street model is absolutely fantastic, Claus. I hope to see it in the flesh one day, when travel is allowed again.

:cheers

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
That is indeed stunning modelling Claus.  Well worthy of Chris's POTM selection.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
The Hobby Shop – part 1

Flinders Street Station, which has been my inspiration for the Bank, supposedly has the longest facade in the Southern hemisphere. I do not have the space or time to model the entire facade, so I have skipped the middle part and gone straight to the far end. Even with this smaller part the space is not quite right, so I have had to do a bend around the corner! So in reality this part will be very loosely based on the real building. I do hope, though, the shop in the basement will be recognisable.

I team of 'brickies' cam around during the last couple of days. They did a great job but either forgot to consult the drawings or just working too fast. Any way they didn't leave any openings for doors and windows! As the photo possibly reveals their mistakes should easily be rectified with a sharp knife.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
The Hobby Shop - part 2

The bricks have been removed from the windows and doors. The stone masons have started to build the foundations (Walls before foundations  :hmm )

Cheers,
Claus
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.