Wombat Creek Tramways

Posted
Rating:

The year is 1963 somewhere in Victoria, Australia

[user=374]xdford[/user] wrote:
Hi Claus,
Out of interest, are you using a stud contact system? Just noticed the "proud"  what might otherwise be track nails in two photos ago!

Look forward to your interpretation of how to make sure that Chloe becomes a prominent feature on your layout.  Be a shame to tuck her away in some very obtuse corner inside the building where it cannot be seen from the street!

Cheers

Trevor
Hi Trevor
It is track nails. They are a bit too long and will go through the board if I nail them right down to the sleepers. They will eventually be covered by the road surface.

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lovely photo………………………….. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Is there something else I should be looking at on this thread - I thought it was a model railway forum ?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Claus,
Chloe is a babe! And she's not even wearing a vest…she'll catch her death!!! You have to try and maybe feature her on a poster or something!
  I was looking at your Birmingham tram kit awhile back and decided it was near enough to do a conversion to an SHMD tram,so I purchased one myself.I also have several West Ham trams that will magically become SHMD also.I got myself a Cardiff tram(motorised Corgi) off Ebay as well, and. when I tested it, to my delight it had internal lights fitted, so it's looking like a 00 scale tram layout will be appearing sooner rather than later…
…I blame you! :lol:
 :pathead

Cheers,John.B. :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Covered walkway along Myer

Work on the covered walkway (canopy) along the Myer department store has commenced. The columns are meat skewers with footings made of M4 'lock nuts'. The crossbeams are made of cardboard.

At the moment I am constructing the 'rafters', which will support the roof.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Skewers,locknuts and cardboard!!! Now that's what I call re-purposing!
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Claus,
Chloe is a babe! And she's not even wearing a vest…she'll catch her death!!! You have to try and maybe feature her on a poster or something!
  I was looking at your Birmingham tram kit awhile back and decided it was near enough to do a conversion to an SHMD tram,so I purchased one myself.I also have several West Ham trams that will magically become SHMD also.I got myself a Cardiff tram(motorised Corgi) off Ebay as well, and. when I tested it, to my delight it had internal lights fitted, so it's looking like a 00 scale tram layout will be appearing sooner rather than later…
…I blame you! :lol:

Cheers,John.B. :thumbs

Hi John,
You have given me an idea! Of course Chloe has to be a feature of the pub. Nowadays she is at the second floor and not visible from the outside. I think I will get her down to the first floor near an entrance and she will be seen through an open door. It will also require a new visit to the hotel to get a proper photo of the distinctive carpet!  

By the way, if you take your photo before the beer, Chloe looks like this:

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
And after the beer she looks like…???  Cheers  Trevor

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

Looking forward to seeing the carpet Claus.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
A new home for Chloe

As I mentioned in my comment to John (Granby Junction, post 3030) I went to the 'tram room' and commenced the construction of a new home for Chloe. I have abandoned the name 'Young and Jackson' for the hotel, so for the time being the hotel is unnamed.

As of the 12th of April the building has come so far:

The building material is cardboard with a few sticks on balsa wood. All 70 windows and doors are cut by hand. The green parts are green because I used green cardboard. Nothing to do with the final colour.

The original building and the inspiration for the build looks like this on a rainy Saturday morning in April 2021:

Since Wombat Creek is set in 1963 I have to go back in time to find the right colour for the walls, A search on the internet gave me some photos but unfortunately in black and white. Instead I turned to Warren Doubleday from Melbourne Tram Museum. He dug into the archives and in no time came up with the following photo (photo: Peter Moses, 1963. Archive: Melbourne Tram Museum):

The walls are brown! Perhaps not the most inspiring colour. The window frames appear to be white. I intend to print the windows on transparent foil and in a printer 'white' equals 'no colour'. Therefore I will need to change the colour. A few years later the window frames were brown as the walls, which is just too boring. I think I will go with a light grey.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
At the end of the day Claus,it's your model, your rules! I'm operating a 1930's layout with one or two 1940's locos, but who's to tell me I can't??It's going to look great, that's all that matters!
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Update on the hotel

The painters have finished painting the outside of the hotel. The tilers from 'Marley' are putting the last tiles up. The company has just required four new vans for a bargain - $20 in total.
 The proprietor to the left has a bit of an argument with the sign painter, who has left out a significant feature of the one of the signs. He will have to take it back to the workshop and draw up a new one.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Lest We Forget - ANZAC Day in Wombat Creek

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Some absolutely super modelling, Claus.  The department store looks better every time I look at it and the new hotel is clearly going to be a match for it.  You certainly do buildings on a grand scale, and I love the detail you manage to create.  
 :Happy

Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
Some absolutely super modelling, Claus.  The department store looks better every time I look at it and the new hotel is clearly going to be a match for it.  You certainly do buildings on a grand scale, and I love the detail you manage to create.  
:Happy

Michael
Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, the buildings are coming along (very) slowly. 

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Seeing those Anzac banners hanging there Claus rather sobered things up a little.  I would have commented but got sidetracked reading more about Gallipoli and Anzac Day elsewhere……. :oops:

As Michael said, your buildings really are very grand - in terms of their imposing appearance and their modelling.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
The framework for the canopy is finished

I have finally finished the framework – posts and beams – for the covered footpath along the department store. I am not an engineer so it may not be up to engineering standards anno 1963. It doesn't matter. I have had good fun doing it, and hardly anything except the posts will be visible once the roof is on!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wow Claus - that looks really stunning.  It's a pity most of it will be invisible once the roof is on.  I take it from that, the roof won't be glass …………. :roll:  I suppose where you are, glass would make it far too hot in summer.  :hmm

This whole building is going to be very spectacular - you ought to take the picture to Myers and show them - they might give you a lifetime free shopping card ……… :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Wow Claus - that looks really stunning.  It's a pity most of it will be invisible once the roof is on.  I take it from that, the roof won't be glass …………. :roll:  I suppose where you are, glass would make it far too hot in summer.  :hmm

This whole building is going to be very spectacular - you ought to take the picture to Myers and show them - they might give you a lifetime free shopping card ……… :cheers
Petermac is right. A glass roof would look very good but far too hot during summer in Wombat Creek. Instead the roof has been made of corrugated iron sheets, which will still make it a quite warm wait for Mrs. Peterson. She has spending a few dollars in Myer and finally flagged down a taxi. She has been waiting for a while, whilst the taxi picked up a lucrative tour to Gum Nut Gully.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Update on the Hotel

The work on the hotel has been partly put on hold due to time spent on the awning along the Myer department store.

Since the last 'hotel entry' most of the windows are now in place. Doors are still missing. Some of them have do be redrawn and printed.

The windows are rather big and give you a good look inside the building. The interior of the front bar will need to be modelled. So far the walls have been covered in wall paper and the back of the bar is in place. An internal staircase (not visible in the photo) is ready to be installed but will have to wait until a doorway is in place. Working on the interior is quite 'fiddly' due to the limited width of the building.

The proprietor and the sign painter have moved into Victoria Street, They are still arguing over signs. This time wording of the sign is too long for the facade. Unfortunately the proprietor can't sack the sign painter. He is the only one in town!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
I like the interior

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.