Hornby Terrier

Posted
Rating:

Hornby idea of removing the weight from the boiler

Sorry Nigel for jumping the gun, Kevin is in expert hands. I had  just hoped he was aware of the relevant photos in the Hornby guide,  which I understand he had previously read.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel and Bill.  Thank you both. Yes that is exactly correct. If memory serves me, I read it in an online video, but I wasn’t sure about that idea, and something about turning the motor upside down to avoid the contacts? is that correct? But when you say solder the red and black wires to them, that sounds better, and when I do that, have I got to use heat shrink tube on the joints? Millions of this type of chassis must have been made over the years, and the only difference in the Hornby illustration is that is painted a lighter grey than mine. When I eventually locate or purchase a Decoder, is insulate it and finish the job. Will double sided sticky pads hold a Decoder in position? Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

How you fix the decoder depends largely on how big and whether it already has an insulating cover.

I use Digitrax base decoders as testers, they come already wrapped. Are you contemplating sound? Speaker location is a fun job with this model. Can be done with a sugar cube or a small round one, but at the expense of some of the weight.

Double sided adhesive foam works fine for both speakers and decoders. I use 3M brand, used for light-weight pictures and the like. Double sided sellotape works as well. Whatever you do, keep away from electrical tape. :Red Card  :Red Card :Red Card

Yes, use heat shrink.

Bill, jump in whenever, I'm sure Kevin appreciates it. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you again, and as far as you are concerned Bill  , the more the merrier. Only make sure that you are at the deep end? As for a speaker, yes, if it is straightforward to connect and fit in, plus the character barking sounds that were responsible for its nickname Terrier . And then it could be time for more, I would even consider the “ grunt “. But that is another thread.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
And if Nigel's explanation is not adequate ( which I think covers it very well) then https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/hornby-0-4-0-pug/m1

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply. Nigel’s explanation was spot on, and Bill came along too. All I have to do is find the already purchased Decoder and I can replicate the procedure on my Terrier.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Good luck Kevin, the Pug is a great one to cut your teeth on and give you confidence to chip your other locos.

Bon courage mon ami,

Bill 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you very much or as we learned in school “ murky buckets “. Best wishes Kevin      Strangely enough  the teacher insisted on “ Merci Beaucoup “

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Ah, French teachers can be strange and interesting people. My French teacher, Jean Marie is 90 this month and his dad was an engine fireman and mechanic during the 1939/45 occupation, so we have a common interest and I hear amazing stories from the past.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. I have taken a photo and it is on an SD card. But at the time of writing, I cannot remember how to upload photos to my laptop, but I have located the “ DZ Decoder “, it was there all the time, but I kept passing it by.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill and Nigel. I have been reading through the Hornby guide on 0-4-0 conversions to DCC, “and in step 20” it says 
reposition the motor upside down, I knew that I had read that somewhere. But, is there an obvious reason for doing    that,  I have missed?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you for your reply. But you say that you “didn’t do it on this one “I must admit that Hornby have a different approach to DCC. I have a choice of cheap Hornby 0-4-0’s the one that I am going to try first. Now that I have located my DZ 126 Decoder, which is the 06 Shunter, but I really want to do the Terrier, and sound would be nice, if I could fit everything inside the cramped space.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. I have taken a photo and it is on an SD card. But at the time of writing, I cannot remember how to upload photos to my laptop, but I have located the “ DZ Decoder “, it was there all the time, but I kept passing it by.  Best wishes Kevin 
Aplogies to Nigel, hopefully in peaceful sleep.

Most laptops have an SD card slot Kevin. All my business and personal machines had and my current budget HP does as well, located on one of the four edges, dependant on manufacturer. I hope yours does too, as it saves so much time in finding the camera to PC cable!

Just slide the card in and read the contenrs via the file manager. Job done.

Bon courage,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Bill and Nigel. I have been reading through the Hornby guide on 0-4-0 conversions to DCC, “and in step 20” it says 
reposition the motor upside down, I knew that I had read that somewhere. But, is there an obvious reason for doing    that,  I have missed?    Best wishes Kevin 
Hi Kevin,

Ed has this one covered regarding the motor. It's all about making things easier.

I think we all assume from your previous posts that you are going to chip a Hornby 0-4-0, as best practice before moving on to the Terrier and others.

This is a fine plan which will give you the confidence in moving forward with other locos. Don't forget to test the installation before re-fitting the body.

Onwards and upwards,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you.  My HP laptop also has a slot, and I loaded the SD card, but, then had a memory block?Considering that I have hundreds of holiday photos on there I just couldn’t remember what to do.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Try downloading your photos from SD card to PC, then organising them into appropriate files.
I have thousands of photographs on my PC and back-up and can find what I need due to a simple filing system.

It's fun filing photos and brings back happy memories.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Bill . Yes that is another password that I have forgotten. And when BT contacted me they wanted my Mother’s maiden name and when I replied, they told me that it was the wrong name.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Kevin, I don't know what password you could be referring to. 

Once you have the SD card in the PC interface slot, you simply open the file manager, set up some appropriate photo files (use 'open new folder' icon) and copy the photos from the SD to photo files. No password is required.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
No Bill  I wouldn’t expect you to know my Mother’s maiden name, but, neither does BT. You mentioned “ Back Up “ and if I am going to back up my photos I need it . It is the one that I require . BT have got my back up.Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.