Hornby Terrier

Posted
Rating:

Hornby idea of removing the weight from the boiler

Hi Nigel.  Yes I quite agree . I think that my “ old Terrier “ will do me for now. Meanwhile I will have to give it a good run in on DCC , and find the Decoder. I have been watching other reviews on the Terrier but most seem to miss the problems especially the ones by Hattons? I imagine that they have a vested interest , but the one they tested looked good with two carriages.  Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I wouldn't try running it with DCC until you have a decoder installed. DC will be kinder to the motor.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Don’t panic Mr Mainwaring ( TV punch line ) .my iPad has a strange knack of using its memory, if my fat finger jumps the keyboard? Then it changes my words. I meant dc but the iPad had other ideas. Apple call it spell check, but it gives me more headaches than help.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Nigel. Don’t panic Mr Mainwaring ( TV punch line ) .my iPad has a strange knack of using its memory, if my fat finger jumps the keyboard? Then it changes my words. I meant dc but the iPad had other ideas. Apple call it spell check, but it gives me more headaches than help.   Best wishes Kevin 

A group I am in refer to it as "auto-cucumber"! 

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff  . Auto Cucumber? Does that refer to the Fat Finger or the Terrier?   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kegin,

I have the same problem if I type fast on the Kindle and use English english. Not that I use very much except here.

Nugel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  The annoying thing is that I did learn to touch type, not very fast, at Evening Classes. The problem being, that the old machines have such a wide keyboard, when one uses a modern computer, it is quite different.The hands go everywhere.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You CAN turn auto correct off,  DONT ask me how just now as I've just been walked half way up Glencoe as a birthday treat  :Red Card  now enjoying a glass of amber nectar. Now I know why they call it the water of life !
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply.. Half way up Glencoe? Only half way up? I have never been there but, I went to Aviemore one time and it was “ Brass Monkeys’ “. Yes, but when my fat fingers miss a key the word is high lighted.:off topic Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   This is another reply on the same subject, I don’t know what I was expecting to find, but I removed the bodywork from the chassis of a cheap 0-4-0, to give me an idea of what was beneath the “ Hood “ so to speak.But , I can only see two wires going to the motor, yet a typical Decoder has four wires, red , black, orange and grey.
Now I am completely confused, “ four into two don’t go” . Would you please please advise me where the other two wires go?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have a spell, Sol.  I've got this one.

Red= right pick up.
Black = left pick up.
Orange = motor (+)
Grey = motor (-)

:cheers

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
There's a little rhyme Kevin, 'Red and Black to the Track, Orange and Grey the other way'.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Thank you for your reply.  You make it sound so simple but I have been dragging my feet?It is the other two wires on the Hornby Locos that I am uncertain about. The cheap example 0-4-0 that i removed the bodywork from, I can only see two wires, and I would like to  run my Terrier on DCC.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
What other two wires, Kevin?

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max     That is what I mean, the cheap 0-4-0 Hornby Pug that I am going to practice on only has , or I can only see two wires, only has a black wire and one wire with a clear coating on. As you said “ Red and Black to the track “But I cannot where the yellow and grey go.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

There will be 2 wires in the 0-4-0, one from each side of the wheel pickups to the motor terminals. Depending on the phase of the moon and the state of the tide at the time it was manufactured could both be black, red, or black and red, or even yellow. Usually both are black. Ignore the colors for the moment.

1. Face the engine looking forward away from you. The wiring on the right hand side is RED, left hand side is BLACK. That's the usual convention.

2. Cut the wires to the motor terminals. Cut the yellow capacitors and any wiring/blobs of solder off, place in the bin.

3. The RHS "RED" connects to the RED from the decoder, the LHS "BLACK" to the black to the BLACK from the decoder. Remove the remaining motor wiring from the pick ups, clean up and wire the red and black from the decoder directly to them, but see below. Use metal heat sinks on the wires to and from the decoder when soldering. Large Bulldog clips are ideal for this, or metal clothes pegs.

4. The ORANGE wire from the decoder goes on the motor terminal that had the "RED" wire. You need a fine tip on the iron.

5. The GREY wire from the decoder to the motor terminal that had the "BLACK" wire. Ditto the tip.

That's how 2 becomes 4. I always use colored heat-shrink. Depending on the vintage of the model the motor could be open frame or a can. The motor has to be removed and usually goes back in upside down with the decoder on top. I used 4 pin micro plugs and sockets between the motor and decoder the last time I did one of these, and made a blanking plug from a second plug. That way you can test in DC mode.

https://www.hornby.com/us-en/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide shows you how, please do not use insulating tape around the motor! You do not need to wire the big capacitor back in.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you  I will keep these instructions safe. Meanwhile keep looking for the Decoder, or purchase another one, which will probably mean that I will then find the original one, and have a spare. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Yet another reply? I have just removed the motor from the “ cheap Pug “ and discovered two brass coloured strips on the chassis, are these the pickups? And if so do all of Hornby products have the same configuration or just the cheap articles. And do they require my attention?   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Are these as in the step 7 photo on he following thread Kevin?

https://www.hornby.com/us-en/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide

Fingers crossed.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Take a photo and post it. There should be 2 brass arms either side to which the wires are attached.  Do you mean these? One each side, that's where the red and black wires get soldered. Give them a clean with #400 emery to get bright brass.

Photo from the Hornby 0-4-0 DCC conversion webpage as I do not have any of these speed merchants to hand. All Hornby rights acknowledged, the image is used solely for education and teaching purposes. Thank you Hornby.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.