Sir Nigel Gresley

Posted
Rating:
#242857 (In Topic #13419)
On this day 78 years ago in 1941, Sir Herbert Nigel Gresley died. One of the worlds finest ever locomotive engineers who in my opinion produced some of the greatest machines around
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Except for the main bearings and conjugated gear on the A4's. GWR to the rescue.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Except for the main bearings and conjugated gear on the A4's. GWR to the rescue.

Nigel
There's always one spoilsport ………………………………… :cry:

Derek, I naturally agree with you wholeheartedly - a brilliant engineer.

I wonder what he'd have made of today's railways ……………………………… :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Oh, the list is looong. Three pistons driving on one axle, inadequate lubrication of the internal main bearing which needed meticulous servicing, inadequate ventilation of the internal main bearing leading to overheating, bent valve rods due to over expansion, expansion of the internal piston rod leading to the piston head smashing into the heads of the bore and cracking them. The overheating was due to the streamline body and inadequate air flow under the boiler. Mallard had to have major work done after the "run" as the main bearing was totally shot. There was a reason why BR restricted them to I believe 80 mph, where they would run all day. Even with GWR designed main bearings and redesigned valve gear.

Quite a few chief engineers in the 20th century cut their teeth at Swindon before moving on. Gresley excepted. Not that Swindon was immune from the occasional misstep. Brunel's single driver low piston speed obsession perpetuated by Armstrong, Dean's experimental compounds, Churchward's Pacific….

Let's not mention the trials comparing the GWR and the LNER in 1925. Ahh, why not. Excessive coal consumption of the A1 compared to the GWR Castle resulted in Greeley fitting GWR style long travel valves to fix the problem.

Even the conjugated valve 2:1 design was borrowed from Holcroft who patented it 6 years before Gresley.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Can we evict Mods Alan ?  He's spoiling my Saturday evening …………….. :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
No Chief Mechanical Engineer was immune from the occasional mistake. Or "borrowing" technology to improve their locomotives. The genius was making it work effectively. Chapelon was probably the best all round steam engineer. Way ahead of his time. Mallard of course had a Kylchap exhaust system when built, invented by none other than Chapelon who improved the Kylala steam exhaust spreader.

Churchyard at the GWR borrowed heavily on American, Belgium and French technology to come up with the 4-6-0 2 and 4 cylinder designs that were used by Stannier at the LMS and Maunsell at the SR.

That should make Sunday a bit better.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Stanier only went to the LMS, because they gave the top job at Swindon to Hawksworth!    (Also, Bullied trained under Gresley, and look what that lead to!)

Last edit: by jcm@gwr

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
It's no good trying to butter me up now Nigel - until you admit Gresley was one of the finest railway engineers ever invented, you're off my Christmas Card list ………………………… :cheers :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Can we evict Mods Alan ?  He's spoiling my Saturday evening …………….. :mutley :mutley
I'm GWR Peter,sorry you're on your own. :pedal

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
No accounting for taste!!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ooooo Saturday evening fight ,  popcorn, cold beer, comfy chair, settled  :twisted:
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
All these steam engines were so good whoever made them they scrapped them all and use efficient diesels and electrics  :pedal :pedal :pedal

Brian  :mutley :mutley

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
At least I have one ally ……………….can I come and live with you Derek - these lost causes are giving me grief !!

Now let me think - Mallard and Flying Scotsman - undoubtedly the 2 most famous steam engines in the world.  Which region did they run on ?  :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue

Oh, and I'm not playing with you anymore either Alan …………………. :sad:

Brian's comment is just taking up space - can you delete it please ……………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Please hold. . . Need another cold beer. . . Ok back carry on  :cheers

Posted
Rating:
Now let me think - Mallard and Flying Scotsman - undoubtedly the 2 most famous steam engines in the world.  Which region did they run on ?  :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue
Which just proves that LNER had the best publicity department, that's all! :tongue

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Must admit I'm with Brian, nice clean diesels instead of those dirty grubby steam kettles

[yt]TXkPXOpeyX4[/yt]

:mutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=1460]jcm@gwr[/user] wrote:
Which just proves that LNER had the best publicity department, that's all! :tongue

Is this guy a new member Alan ?    Who vets these membership applications - I thought the club had standards to keep up ………………

Actually, reading the post again, not only did we have the 2 best locos, we also had the best publicity department - it gets better - maybe he can stay Alan - but only on probation …………. :cheers

What sort of beer do you have Matt - is it worth me coming over ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Must admit I'm with Brian, nice clean diesels instead of those dirty grubby steam kettles

:mutley

My screen's just gone blank ……………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Pollution from steam engines you can see. Diesels on the other hand produce particulates that cannot be seen and they are the ones that cause problems.

Posted
Rating:
Peter, Maureen is not keen on the idea and I am certain Liz is of the same mind.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.