Kevin's Inglenook Junction

Posted
Rating:

Two Planks Become One

Woohoo!   Kevin has his trains running!  Genuinely, only here would there have been so much patience and help.  Well done Barry.  Now Kevin, lets see some of that scenery develop!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  As you said, I did test, it was a DPDT Slide Switch. And I think that it was my over enthusiasm to get a through service and playing trains again that was the problem. I will still be using my camera/ laptop duo to add, when the time comes, photos to the gallery. All I need to do is find or remember the correct passwords for all my devices.Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael I am right chuffed with Barry’s work today, all I have to do now is Ballasting, ground cover, backdrop etc etc etc great joy. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Thanks Barry for helping Kevin with his wiring problem.It's what this forum is all about.Great result.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan.  Great Forum, and Great People willing to assist. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Well done Barry really good of you to go and give Kevin some hands on help and make him a very happy man now.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Hurray! Glad you’ve got things running now Kevin. Well done to Barry for fixing it too. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  Thank you, and thank goodness for Barry, the fun of finishing the job lies ahead. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian. And the findings? I was over zealous with my soldering, I fried the connections on one side of the switch on one side, thank goodness that I purchased DPDT, Barry did an excellent job, I would have been testing from now until doomsday.    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Time for ballasting now Kevin that will keep you occupied for a few days.
At least you know with Barry helping you everything is as it should be and you had wired it properly you were only  i bit overenthusiastic soldering the switch.
With Barry visiting you it sorted it if he had not kindly done that trying to sort it in this thread it could have been a very long time until it was resolved.

Brian

Posted
Rating:

Whilst I was over with Kevin the other day I took a couple of photos to show "base camp" as it were - this is the start point.  The two "planks" are actually plywood cases with hinged lids and carrying handles.  The plywood top easily takes track pins and the lift up lid makes a great backscene.  You can see the divider between the two boards - a hinged arrangement that folds neatly into the lid when not in use and adds stability to the lids when opened and engaged on the captive bolt set into the surface of the fiddleyard board.

On the left is the connector for the controller inputs with a nice long lead so this can be mounted where the "banana" pluigs are - between the baseboard joint and the scenic break.

Kevin might be too modest to say but this is a strong base and I am sure that people will continue to support him as he leaps off the top of the scenic cliff (as it were) and starts with the green stuff!!

As an interesting aside, spending 10 minutes driving the "Gronk" up and down with its slow running and range of sounds, honks and hisses made we wonder on the way home whether I could build myself a DCC-sound plank with that bit of spare plywood in the garage…………………

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry.  Thank you very much . Well said, I am pleased with all the assistance that I have had from the Forum, but I am  especially grateful to you for giving up your time to get me, an “old codger” back on the road. Best wishes Kevin PS. I have learned a new term today, “ Gronk “ .

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Yes, that is a very clever and wonderfully constructed baseboard.  I like how it is easy to fold and put away, but then can come to life when it is opened up.  I assume that a back scene can be fitted that won't be damaged when the lid closes.  Otherwise a back scene fitted to hardboard or something that can be inserted into the lid when it is open will be required.  That can easily be held in place with some magnets, if necessary.  Buildings will obviously have to be stored and placed when operating, but plenty of scope with other scenic details.  Now it is operational and very functional, I look forward to its next stage of development.

Michael

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael. Thank you. The Lid is two and half inches deep, depending on how artistic I can get? it should be deep enough.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks to Barry`s photo and description we can all now see how well you have constructed the baseboards Kevin.
And now the nasty DPDT switch has been sorted you are well on your way i have no doubt there has been a lot of locomotive testing over the last week.
Looks like ballasting next for you Kevin and making some structures.
Barry making a dcc plank is a good idea you can have hours of fun with them and especially with a few small sound locos if your into steam a pannier is a great little sound loco.

Brian

Posted
Rating:
You've been hiding your light under a bushel Kevin - that's a great looking "plank".

As others have said, now the electrics are in order, you can only move one way !!  Give your brain a rest and make some buildings or do some scenic work - whilst constantly "testing" your locos of course ………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2137]Briperran[/user] wrote:
…….
Barry making a dcc plank is a good idea you can have hours of fun with them and especially with a few small sound locos if your into steam a pannier is a great little sound loco.

Brian
A PANNIER!!!   Wash your mouth out Sir!   :mutley :mutley :mutley

I might actually re-live my youth and model MR/LMS (that is I modelled them when I was young, not that I remember the MR when I was young)

I think Kevin's deep lids will be great for mounting building flats/low-relief as they can remain in place when the lid is closed.  They will also allow huts and the like to be fixed to the surface of the board.  Taller structures will have to lift off but are easily stored in modern plastic stackable crates.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian, Petermac. Thank you for your replies. My ex GWR 57xx in midnight metropolitan livery, has also had the sound treatment, but it puffs along instead of growling.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Perhaps one of the GWR nutters will tell us what that clanking noise is when its going along and idling sounds like something is ready to fall off it. :lol:

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian.  Thank you for your reply. I think that is a good one . But only LT fans would like it. Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.