Scrap car conversion.

Posted
Rating:
#242027 (In Topic #13384)
The donor was an Oxford models "Ford Popular 103E". I'll post step by step pictures but not all in one go as there might be questions on each mod.

For bonnet, door and boot etc removal, a jewellers saw is needed and the finest blades, I work with this with  my day job so I'm used to it but care is needed as it's very easy to break blades so you  will need a few!  The trick is to hold the job so it doesn't move, then  with very little pressure let the blade do the cutting and try not to  twist it in the cut as this usually causes it to snap.

So, the original model and the same car modified and added to the picture, the finished result and the car added to the layout.

Remove casting lugs.

Unscrew base an pop out window unit.

If needed, cut off front bumper, this can be done with a thicker blade.

File to shape and smooth area, also use a scraper on the left and right grill areas, and scribe on the new grill vents.

The lights have also been removed.

Last edit: by Phil.c

Phil
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's brilliant, Phil.

:cheers

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Yep absolutely brilliant...

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Jeff and Andy, here's a few more steps :)

Wing removed this time with a fine blade.

Excess metal filed off.

Door removed.

Boot removed and bumper area cut out and refined.

Headlight lense drilled out.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Did you plan what bits to remove before you started Phil, or just cut bits off as it went along.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Things like the open door and the raised bonnet were left until last due to handling situation.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant Phil :thumbs:thumbs  

That scrap yard must be doing well….I remember when it was just a bit of waste land!

Regards

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
It only needs one banger dumped there John, as that soon attracts others :)

Phil

Posted
Rating:
81C
I remember the first one seen on RMweb nice work Phil   :)

Last edit: by 81C

Posted
Rating:
a very impressive transformation

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant! :thumbs
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Excellent!  I love the cracked and broken window at the rear passenger seat - was that just scratched in?  Very realistic.

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Just scratched in.

Bonnet and vent cut out, vinyl roof partially scraped off to leave a glue effect.

Plastic door section side panel removed, gearstick, radiator & pipe, engine block, coil, battery, distributor, regulator  and starter motor added.

Steering wheel spokes drilled.

Tyres cut flat and Araldite added to the bottom to give a bulged effect.

When the door was cut out, the top part had to be removed because of the thickness between it, and the roof, so this was added again.

Inside door panel painted and handles added, also handles to the outsides of the doors and a windscreen wiper.

Paper was glued to the roof with diluted PVA, it was painted torn and folded back.

A photo of the dash was found on the net, but the steering wheel obstructed some of the dials, so it was Photoshopped out and the dials corrected, it was then scaled to size and glued on.

Dents were scraped into the wings etc and rust colour added here and there, after the original paintwork was dulled down.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Excellent conversion Phil !  I need to squirrel the scrap yard idea away for future use  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Inspirational work Phil and great to see extreme weathering portrayed so elegantly.

I rather like the opening up of apertures, which is so rarely seen, but so effective.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
I forgot to mention the front suspension, its not really shown in the pictures but there's a top and bottom wishbone and a damper strut with spring which is visible.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
You appear to have spent some time with old cars Phil, or maybe just good research, or some of each!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
My fathers first car was a Standard 10, his second was a Ford Anglia, basically the same as the Popular, in fact I don't really know the differences apart from smaller headlights?

Phil

Posted
Rating:
A very nice job, and I love the attention to detail. I also like that Oxford has the decency to use screws instead of freaking rivets.

Posted
Rating:
Yes, saves drilling them out!

Phil
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.