009 Test Layout

Posted
Rating:
#241414 (In Topic #13368)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

More dabbling in different scales/gauges

I'm building a small test layout, 140cm x 25cm (roughly 4' 7" x 9 3/4") to see how well I get on with the smaller scale.

It's loosely based on The Eastgate Tramway by Philip Moss, which is in  the 7mm NGA's Small Layouts Handbook, but obviously a lot smaller.

I only plan to use 4 wheel stock, to allow small trains that can be run round in the loop.

It's more a shunting plank than a proper layout, but I wont' know if I can manage the small stock and track with fat fingers and failing eyesight unless a have a go.

So far I've assembled the baseboards, bought from Tim Horn, printed out the track plan and stuck it to the boards, and checked the clearances.

So far, so good.

Now to start laying the track.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I had an 009 railway on the last layout at the previous house Ed although things seem smaller your really still scale wise the same as 00 so i did not find it particularly difficult to do i think the most difficult bit is contact with the track for pick up as you hit the same problems you would get with small N scale locos more weight in them the better.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Small shunting plank it may be, but it looks like a fun time

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I've recently been working in 7mm scale Brian, an O-16.5 plank with OO gauge code 100 track.

This is code 80 track, but I have managed to get four pieces wired up and stuck down this morning, and I've only destroyed one rail joiner  :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Looks lovely Ed. 
Enough points, track and scenery potential to get a good feel of the gauge.

The trick, as you well know, is paying strict attention to the quality of your track laying and using electrofrog points wired for frog polarity… especially if you plan to use 0-4-0 locos.

Will you be able to work on it in the house when it’s too cold in the garage?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Working on it in the house Marty, just have to carry it out to the garage a couple of times a week so that domestic duties can be done.

The O-16.5 plank I'm still working on became too heavy to carry in and out for my bad back, so work on that will have to wait until the summer and the garage is warmer.

This board is smaller and much much lighter, so I should at least be able to shunt a few trains during the cold weather.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
    Finally made two Dundas coach kits I bought ages ago

Not very good, but first attempt…………….

Small and fiddly comes to mind  :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I bought a side tank loco body from cwrailways, which comes in four main parts.

Glued it together apart from the roof.

A lot smaller than the Smallbrook O-16.5 locos I was doing last year, but easy enough with the magnifying visor.

Coat of grey primer done and it's sitting on it's Kato 11-103 chassis.

Black top coat next.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I've painted it black, but it will need toning down with some matt varnish.

I'd used car rattle cans for my O-16.5 locos which gave a pretty good finish.

Unfortunately I'd run out and got some Humbrol spray paint with my last order of scenery stuff from that great box shifter in Widnes.

It's taken far more coats and I don't think it gives as good a finish, but it will have to do.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Looks great! I’ve wondered whether I can fit a 009 ‘holiday line’ into Teasel one day!

Posted
Rating:
Looks pretty good to me. :thumbs
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Chris and Terry.

Chris, 009 is a lot easier to do now than it was when I first had a go at it, many, many years ago.

There's a good range of RTR rolling stock from Peco and Bachmann have RTR locos, so you don't have to resort to a kit, or scratchbuilding.

In fact my other two locos are Skarloey and Rheneas from the Bachmann Thomas range, just got to take the faces off and put new smokebox doors on.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Lovely little loco there Ed looking smart . I have some 009 stuff still trying to resist adding a 009 line to my present layout.

Brian

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Thanks Chris and Terry.

Chris, 009 is a lot easier to do now than it was when I first had a go at it, many, many years ago.

There's a good range of RTR rolling stock from Peco and Bachmann have RTR locos, so you don't have to resort to a kit, or scratchbuilding.

In fact my other two locos are Skarloey and Rheneas from the Bachmann Thomas range, just got to take the faces off and put new smokebox doors on.

Ed

I’ve had a good look at it. I doubt I’d ever get into scratch building locos etc! I think a 009 track might be a worthy addition one day. Lots to do before then though. 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=2137]Briperran[/user] wrote:
I have some 009 stuff still trying to resist adding a 009 line to my present layout.

Brian
Go on Brian, you know you want to  :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Some cruel close ups, still waiting for handrail knobs and name/number plates.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I've used some card to do a bit of landscaping.

I covered it with a mix of Polyfila and brown paint, which unfortunately gives a colour that doesn't show up too well on camera.

Also painted the track.

Darker picture indoors shows the hills (if you can call 'em that) a bit better.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Good progress there Ed starting to take shape now
Is the track you are using a Peco one? As it looks pretty good when i did my 009 there was only what was called the crazy track available.

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Gosh Brian, I remember crazy track, that was a long time ago  :lol:

This is Peco streamline irregular sleeper track and the turnouts are 12" radius.

They also do mainline track which has 18" radius turnouts.

I'm finding 009 has moved on a hell of a lot since I last dabbled in it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

I thought you track plan in post 1 was an interesting one and like your OO test plank, which came to life at this stage, this looks as if the same magic is happening again. 

You have a splendid touch Ed and I'm looking forward to this layout unfolding with great interest.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.