Knottworthy Magna in 0/16.5 7mm Narrow gauge.

Posted
Rating:

A new circular layout by the creator of Glen Ogle in 009.

Great work Brian and very interesting as usual, you should be pleased.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
As promised but a little later than I anticipated, the latest developments on Knottworthy Magna with a wholesale tree planting exercise:-

The extended goods yard to give more shuntability.

The Trestle bridge greeneryfied

I think thats about it for now.#
BrianT

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Ed.I am about to start making a Purple Bobs card kit of a half relief station to replace the laser cut waiting room on the front side of the layout, I have already made a small signal box to stand where the medium sized laser cut box stood near the level crossing.

I have also ordered an L-Cut interior fit-out kit for the Medium signal box to be retro-fitted, and Jakub Stachula of the L-Cut laser cut model company has agreed to make a smaller kit for me to be fitted into the small L-Cut signal box which is not a usual supply item, so I'm going to be busy for a while.

Regards,

BrianT.

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Posted
Rating:
Here are a few pictures of the Purple Bob Station card kit under construction:-

The kit is very comprehensive, not an easy kit to assemble, and you need lots of scalpel blades at hand, the results are usually worth the effort and can be recommended.

The pictures are way over exposed as I took them close up with the flash switched on I'm afraid, and its such a chore resizing them to post on the forums, so as I will no doubt be posting more images as the build progresses, hope fully, they will be better next time. :roll:

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
it's been a long haul and there's still a little more to do, but I thought this little teaser would at least show that I've not been twiddling my thumbs.

The model has been wired with 12v LED's in each of the rooms, and a few more little tweaks are to be made, before it is placed on the vacant lot on the front side of the layout.
Regards,
BrianT

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Brian (and others ) if your using windows then download and install this little program to resize your images. Once installed its a simple case of right click on an image, choose re size image from the  normal drop down menu, choose size or do a custom size and then click, , its done. You can re size the original or make a re sized copy, single image or select and re size multiples
Its simple, no bloatware or adverts and quick.  Works right up to windows 10. Been using it for years

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Good steady progress Brian. Lovely station.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I have just received the late edition of the Knottworthy Times, and noticed the exciting news in the stop press section of the news paper:~

Knottworthy Times 
 Stop Press

For Sale by Auction, a prime
development opportunity for redevelopment as either an industry or a Railway
Station.
Adjacent to the K.J.R. ( Knottworthy Joint Railway ), which
has access to, and running powers over the former LNER and LMS networks
nationwide, with frequent through services available on any exhibition or play-days.

This valuable piece of land is available, situated in a
perfect location adjacent to the pretty village of Knottworthy Magna.

Planning permission has been granted for the use as an industrial development with a ready made workforce from the nearby Village , or as a much needed station, serving the transport starved local community.
Not far away down the line is the famous Salmon River, the Knott,
assuring plenty of revenue earning footfall during the season.

Sealed bids should be submitted to the Factors Office at the
Drum’Mcudden  estate of the Laird of Drum’Mcudden,
Much Binding in the Marsh, Mythical, MY1 ARS, by 01/04/2020

The lucky purchaser will be expected to deposit a Bankers cheque,
or proof of a PayPal account with the Factor within 24hours of purchase being agreed, and is
promised a plot of land sized 6ft x 2ft and a tasteful headstone, within the
walled Drum’Mcudden Estate’s private burial ground whenever needed.

Viewing can be arranged if required by the narrow gauge fraternity by appointment, bringing your own tea and biccies is a requirement, and a hard hat is essential before entering my garage.

Very interesting???
Regards,

BrianT

Posted
Rating:
Well titter ye not, oh, you didn't, well my attempt at humour failed yet again:roll:.  I've had no promises of biccies or tea from the Narrow Gauge community, could be that not many of you have a hard hat in your wardrobes, so I'll wave that requirement, but I warn you, the state of my garage presents a clear and present danger to anyone entering.

I needed to let the blister on my scalpel wielding finger subside before I started to attack the card on the station model again:cry:

So I started fitting the LED lighting as a "light" relief, doh, failed again Twiggy:lol:.

I'll try harder 'onest guv.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Disaster is not a word to use lightly when modelling, but the new Knottworthy Magna Station building, which I have laboured over for many hours, I have managed to ruin in a matter of minutes, with one of Humbrol's products, namely their Acrylic matt spray varnish.:cry:

Today was to have been a Da Daah moment as I came to the end of the build at last, and was going to stand it in its position on the layout, photograph it and hopefully, await the plaudits, well perhaps a slow handclap at least.:roll:

But idiot that I am, I decided to give it a coat of protective varnish, and used a can of Humbrol Matt acrylic varnish that I had purchased, a light waft over the model in a warm centrally heated room appeared to go on nicely, I went to have my tea, and came back to check that the varnish had dried, and found the model covered in a white covering as would be produced if I had dusted it with Talcum powder.:brickwall

I'm not in the mood to take pictures for your delectation, but it is not a pretty site.

Annoyance, frustration and foul language directed at the Humbrol company were the order of the day.

I'll leave it for now until I'm more amenable to cooler thoughts.

Regards,

BrianT

Posted
Rating:
Goodness Brian, it's such a great shame when these events happen. I feel for you and commiserate with you over this sad disappointment. How is it looking today and is it salvageable?

Hope the day seems brighter and a phoenix plan emerges.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Good morning Bill, I see you are online at the moment, bacon and egg for breakfast was it??

The station is recoverable if you disregard the frosted window I suppose, and the outside waiting area roof will have to have a lot of covering as the varnish can spluttered at this point depositing a large amount of the varnish on the roof, which seems to have taken the print out of the cardboard, so this is going to have to have a lot of ivy or something similar.

I have just been adding station platform lighting and I'm waiting for the glue to dry, but when I next post, I will show the extent of the damage and what I have done to try and mitigate the problem.

I have been looking at old station platform greenery photo's to see what if anything was accepted by the powers that were and have seen pictures of several stations with lots of climbing plants, so perhaps a clematis Montana or a climbing rose may well spring into life to help hide the damage, I'll have to see how well I model a climbing plant other than Ivy, which I seem to have used too many times before?

Kind regards and thank you for your interest,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Brian and yep, a fine sunny morning breakfast coffee and some cereal to set me up for some serious gardening. I only ever have cooked breakfast when visiting the UK!

Phew, thank goodness the station survived. The frosted window is easilly fixed and I like the idea of climbing roses and clematis, as our courtyard is awash with them, much to the delight of the bees, although the clematis has finished it's first display this year.

Great to see such positiveness for your splendid railway and well done with the lighting .

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

Posted
Rating:
The Knottworthy Station building has had a problem when I tried giving it a protective coat of Humbrol Mat spray varnish,  when it dried, it had deposited a white coating over the model, very much like a dusting of Talcum powder.
The worst affected area was the outside waiting area where the can spluttered, and deposited not a mist but liquid blobs, which when dry, not only had the white powder, but when I tried a gentle wipe with a damp cloth, seemed to remove the powder, but revealed that the varnish had taken most of the colour with it, and left it looking like this.

The rest of the model looked washed out, all the windows were frosted, and generally it looked a mess/

While I was deciding what to do with the model which I had put a lot of time and effort into, I decided to continue with the lighting and fitted the platform wall lights, the internal lighting was all but obscured by the frosting of the window glass.

I photographed the model against a background of bushes in my garden.

The vacant lot awaiting its new station and signal box.

The station more than fills the land allocated to it.  The two lighting cables will be passed through holes in the base board and connected to the two switched supplies below, one for model lighting and one for platform lighting.  the plugs are to allow the model to be disconnected and lifted if required for any reason.

It doesn't look good does it,  it's certainly not enhanced the layout one iota, and to cap it all, it is obviously overlong for its location without some major surgery.  In my enthusiasm to give the villagers a more fitting station, I had forgotten that whilst I had added length to the baseboard, I had also increased the length of the passing loop,  which had in turn needed a larger radius biting into the platform depth.  The new hill covering the return tunnel had taken the rock face further along the station footprint, all this meant that the passing loop now took up more width, reducing the available platform width, and the extended rock face, although not yet completed, has reduced the platform's available length.
So, I can remove the last section of rock face allowing the model to move further down towards the tunnel, I had already bought a new back scene paper to fit in with the different tunnel layout, the rock face is glued to the back scene board, but can be scraped off and sanded smooth ready for the new paper back scene to be glued in place, that just leaves the passing loop  to be modified by taking out some of the larger radius, do-able, but on top of the poor finish to the station itself, it might be simpler to buy another laser cut model of a smaller station low relief model and leave things as they are????
I'll have to have a think,
Regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I’ve had exactly the same problem with a low relief factory front I scratch built for my O-16.5 layout last year, Brian.

I used some cheap multi purpose spray matt varnish on it and it looks like in places, it’s bleached the Scalescenes brick paper I covered it with.

It was odd, as I’d used the spray varnish the previous year on some other Scalescenes building and it was fine, so I put it down to the fact it was cheap varnish and it had been stored over the winter in the cold garage.

It obviously wasn’t anywhere near the cost and time it’s taken you to do your station, but I was bl@@dy annoyed and know how you must feel.

In my case I was going to try and fix the problem by cladding the warehouse in embossed plastikard brickwork, but I’ve not got around to it as I’ve started experimenting in 009.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I've had a think, and while I was thinking, which puts a great strain on my brain cells, so I try to do it as little as possible now ,see what I mean, even this Emoji finds it funny.
 Anyway, to get back to the painful thought processes, I noticed that when I painted on some? right at this moment, I can't for the life of me remember what I painted on the model, but stick with me, it will come to me eventually.  Don't you love these senior moments, what you don't have them, that's probably 'cos your'e not old enough yet, but when you are, your'e going to love them.

I'd hoped that if  rambled on a bit, the old memory would come to my rescue, but it hasn't.

So, I had painted on the model a well known liquid that I hoped might dissolve the Humbrol matt spray varnish, it's just come to me, Methylated Spirit. , any way, it didn't, but, it did momentarily restore the washed out print colours until it evaporated.  So I thought, what if I could hold the un-evaporated state in some way,  so I got a tiny bit of gloss varnish that I used to paint the river bed, and put it into a small container, and added to it some Methylated Spirit.

Now this is a white spirit thinned pigment, being thinned with an alcohol based thinner, perhaps not a brilliant idea buuuut.

I painted some of this concoction onto the outside waiting room end wall, where it would not normally be seen,and waited to see what would happen, the washed out brickwork came back to life as had happened with neat Methylated Spirit, and the varnish locked it in place, a definite Eureka moment.

This seem to have solved one of the problems, the washed out colouring of the printed card, it did nothing for the opaque windows, and it did not solve the fact that some idiot had not thought through the size of the plot that had been auctioned off in an earlier post,  (come on, keep up, I don't do all this typing for your amusement you know.) :roll:
So see what you think?

The station in its Humbrol mat spray varnish state.

The station in its new rejuvenated state using gloss and Methylated Spirit mix.

It certainly looks better although it would have been better still had I not used the gloss river varnish.
A close up view of the outside waiting area, with the roof looking much better, although I have started to make the clematis climber using a new to me technique which was destined to cover the washed out slate.

I thought you might be interested in the rear view of the model, the front platform wall lights are all glued to a length of 1mm wire, pushed and glued into the small hole where the tiny feed wires exit the lamp base, this stiff wire and the feed wires can the be pushed through a hole at the front and out the back along with the feed wires, I then pushed a round felt pad on the rigid fixing wire, smothered it with superglue , and cut off the excess, to help hold the wall light in place rather than just rely on a thin layer of glue where the base of the wall light touches the card wall.

The lamps are LED's and require a resister in series with them to reduce the 12v feed sufficiently to not burn out the LED.  All six pairs of feed wires were then routed along the back to a central feed point with six resistors in parallel starring outwards to feed each lamp in turn.  To to insulate them, the resistors are glued to the back wall and smothered in PVA, each resistor is soldered to one of the lamp feed wires, all the commons were grouped together and soldered to the black negative.

This view also shows where I may end up slicing off outside waiting room to reduce the station's overall length to fit the available real estate if I go down that route, I have still not decided yet whether to do that,or build a smaller station, any thoughts anyone?

Kind regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Well now you've got some colour back in your cheeks Mr Station Building and all thanks to some seriously good thinking from one of those old geezers who care much about you. However, you may still get the chop in order to remain planted and after what you've been through, I hope you stay, weathered quite expertly now if you don't mind me saying.

Say well done to Brian for me.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Yes a vast improvement Brian to the colourisation . Now to save building a new station, yes hack off neatly the waiting room.   BUT measure twice before the axe falls.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.