Knottworthy Magna in 0/16.5 7mm Narrow gauge.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

A new circular layout by the creator of Glen Ogle in 009.

That is one thing with this hobby Brian is how fast we go or not,  is upto us… I work on the fact that the good lord can't take me to the final station until I finish my layout….that is why I do modifications every so often…

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian,

Caravans sadly no, the condo board would have a fit. Coal - the tank engine. Bunker or towed flat car?

Trash and recycling we pay for using contractors, the city keeps well out of it.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Here we are again friends with an update on the happenings to my Knotworthy Magna layout.  I was beginning to go snow blind by the overall whiteness of the modelling I was doing, so in view of the known likely outcome of its future persona, I have decided to add a little colour that, in time, would be more compatible with its likely ultimate finished state.You might, in this view, note that the tunnel entrance and exit former's have also received some architectural enhancement, they have both been clad in a material on their face, which allows a simulation of stonework to be scribe'd to represent laid stone work.  The entrance portal or station side portal, has been scribe'd and colour washed and stands awaiting its fitment on the green scenery, the exit portal is still in its unfinished white, and fixed to the tunnel outlet at the industrial side of the layout, where it will be scribe'd  and colour washed to match the one already finished.

The riverbed has had a wash of colour ready for its coating of varnish.  The two bridge anchor piers at the bank sides have been scribe'd, colour washed and fitted into the rebates formed in the riverbanks, and is still awaiting the fill texture to be added at each side and fully scenic ed.

The off-cuts of the foam, when sliced off the hardened foam, I save and use to fill in any where where I think they will enhance the scenic view.
The entrance to the tunnel at the station side is a case in point, where its limited space precludes using the squirted foam use straight from the container.  The off-cut has been glued to the back scene near the tunnel entrance, and has s colouring of ground daubed on because I had some paint already mixed at the time.

That's about it for tonight folks.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Adding that green really does make a difference

Posted
Rating:
Hello from the UK Zelda, the green is a little more restful on the eyes. :cool wink
I can't make my mind up whether to make the bridge middle piers from timber the same as the Mk1 iteration, or whether to put stone piers in place, I would make the stone piers from a thinner piece of wood core for the scribed plaster, or if a trestle type wood, possibly thinner timber section then last time to make it look more delicate, any thoughts anyone  :hmm.

I'll give it 24 hours to allow our American members to respond before I please myself :lol: :lol: :lol:,   Rule one applies.

Tarrah for now,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Hmm. I think a wood trestle would look fairly neat

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Dunno Brian, but I did like the original bridge.

Quick question, how do you work out the size of the tunnel mouths (portals)?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hello Ed, that was quick, so that's two votes for a timber trestle then :hmm?
As for tunnel portal size. I decide on the type/shape I fancy, measure my largest rolling stock and loco's, if its on a curve I allow 1/2" (12mm) more width and height over what the stock will pass through in theory to allow for any overhang swing, draw it out on some old card and cut it out, and stand it straddling the track, and run my stock through, it especially on any curved track, and just eyeball it for any near misses.

There is probably a formula some where, but trial and error usually works for me.

I have always liked the lozenge shape, but this is the first time i've tried it, if it fails for whatever reason, it's only a scrap of MDF, a pencil and compass, a fretsaw, some PVA glue and a smear of polyfiller to scribe into when dry, and you have as many shapes and sizes as you wish. :cheers

I hope that helps, and thank you both for your participation.

Kind regards,

BrianT.

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1741]gtmspyder[/user] wrote:

There is probably a formula some where, but trial and error usually works for me.

Trial and error then, thanks Brian.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian,

Great progress and it looks really good too  :thumbs

Make that three votes for timber trestle construction, so much more interesting than ubiquitous stone!

Have fun,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Bill for responding, it's looking like being another trestle then :roll:.
Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Here we  are again friends, a little update to the ongoing Knottworthy Magna layout alterations:-
II have been busy with the trestle bridge, making new support trestles, a little landing for the fisherman to be known as Knotts Landing.:) ,and some access steps.
They are still not completed, but I thought it was a long time since I posted anything, so here they are in the rough:-

I wanted the trestle to look a little more rickety and flimsy, so I searched our local suppliers of anything remotely suitable, and found a pack of square 1/8" bamboo sticks, I think possibly used for Kebabs??  Any way they looked adequate, so a purchase was made and they have been cut into various lengths, laid over a drawing on a piece of foam board, glued and held in place with dressmakers straight pins, to form one of four trestles I require to support the old bridge decking I had managed to salvage to cross the new river Knott.

I also thought that the loan fisherman would look better if he was placed where he could be better seen, and made a little more comfortable during his stay, so to this end, I am supplying him with a small boat landing he can sit on, with more water to aim at as he casts his line across the ever widening river down stream of the bridge, The landing stage has some steps to access it rather than sliding down the bank on his bum.  Here they are propped on my dining room window sill until the glue dries.

Here the new structures are fitted, temporarily into position, to show their new locations.

As you will see, the river bed has it's first sealing coat of varnish applied, the trestles wedged under the bridge decking, the landing stage in place, and the steps laid into the cut out base foam.  The brown rocks are some polyfiller coloured with brown acrylic paint that had bean roughly daubed into the gash in the blue Styrofoam riverbank, and then attacked with a chisel to accept the new step structure.]

All the new raw wood has to have a suitable finishing colour and or texture adding to complete the scene.  The bottom of the piers will be resting on stone semi pillar/Islands in the water.

Regards,

BrianT

Posted
Rating:
The layout continues to develop, the longer siding space extension caused some rough surfaces and the track to be laid across it  looked uneven, so the track was levelled and tested with a spirit level lengthways along the rack, and crossways rail to rail to make sure that it would be level, and then a mix of polyfiller was laid around the track to maintain the level correct.

The bridge was finally set in place , the lower cross pieces have become little islands with a coating of pollyfiller around them, painted, and then glued to the riverbed varnish and the decking above.

The high level view gives some scale to the scene, and I couldn't resist placing two of my seated model figure within the scene on the landing stage, although I could not find my angler, hopefully he will be found as the river receives its many more coats of varnish.

I need to buy some more ballast grit to coat all the additional track that has been laid, and start placing some models around the industrial side, but I have not yet decided exactly what they will be?
That'll do for tonight.
Regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Those trestle island don't look right do they?

Something will have to be done before the next coats of varnish are applied, but now they are glued down, that's not going to be easy unless I just make them bigger, hey ho, the joys of unplanned modelling.:cry:

Something will come up.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Bigger islands, or stone piers maybe……..

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Bigger river foundations or perhaps simply some rocks surrounding the foundations which were often placed to break up the power of the current to reduce wear on the support structure.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hello Zelda, the station buildings in double vision are only temporary at the moment, and were part of my attempt to transfer a posting from N G Modelling Online and something went wrong, I will attempt to transfer the full post so it makes sense.
I think I've managed it this morning, below is what I was trying to transfer.

Another look at Knottworthy Magna's change of scenery.
The river Knott source in the hills of the back scene board, has had another very thick coat of varnish, and at the first cascade, a volcanic eruption has formed a convenient island ,Who'd have thought it?  The island still has to receive further attention, and a splodge of varnish where my varnish laden brush caught the hillside has to be disguised with more paint.  

Down stream at the trestle bridge, the islands that support the bridge trestles have been altered with the aid of a little plaster and some cork rocks to beef them up.  The river has received a new coat of varnish, and as I type, I hope is settling shiny and level.  Again the islands have to have more work on them when the glue and varnish have dried.

A few of Knottworthies original model structures have just been placed on the site in an approximate position of where they may well be fixed in future.  The overlarge signal box, is now in a more likely area as there are far more points to be operated at the factory sidings than was the case at the original station position, so the signal man will have less time to fill with polishing his little three wheeler. :lol:
I have yet to build the new station for the front side and a smaller signal cabin, more in keeping with its location :roll:

The signal box and waiting room shelter have yet to have a platform laid for them to be bedded onto, and as can be seen, the track ballasting has begun.

The white splodges on the baseboard sides are not a scenic element, just smears of the filler material to cover the countersunk screw heads of the build additions, they will be smoothed flat before I paint the baseboard in black.

And so the reformation continues.
Regards,
BrianT.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.