Knottworthy Magna in 0/16.5 7mm Narrow gauge.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

A new circular layout by the creator of Glen Ogle in 009.

well no like button but you can use this one from the drop down menu (click on more) in the emoticons ?   
:doublethumb    quick and easy, and shows your following along without doing a full on post

As Ed said you can see how many are watching your thread. For myself during busy work periods I browse a lot but dont post much as I'm too cream crackered lol but maybe I'll start using that emoticon more to show i'm watchin yez  

:cool wink

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm like Matt, holding down two jobs and just too cream crackered to string a comprehensible sentence together sometimes. Doesn't mean we're not watching.
 :cool wink

Love how a spray of grey brings a model together.

You must be just about finished it by now.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Good morning Matt and Marty, thank you for your support.
Yesterday, Saturday 9/03/19, I was at Pudsey Civic hall Narrow Gauge North show with Nottworthy Magna,for a one day show.

It seemed to be appreciated, but you never really know do you, people say nice things, but being a born pessimist, there's always the element of doubt. ;-)

I took with me a fellow modeller John Andrews, from the South Yorkshire 009 group which I attend each month, one of the nicest groups in the country, and I owe him a sincere debt of gratitude, thank you John if you read this, his sense of humour and dedication to the task in hand, was without doubt, my crutch for the day, and his help will be forever appreciated. :)

We had a good few onlookers and it was always a pleasure to see young children dashing from the station side to the factory side as a train went into the tunnel at the river end. :lol:

A tiring day but most enjoyable, thank you to the organisers.

I came away with several suggestions on possible alterations/improvements to Knottworthy, usually said with a grin from John, but constructive and helpful. You will have to watch this space to see whether they ever become a reality in real life.

My next outing will be at the Mansfield 009 group's show with my 009 Rabbit layout, an old layout built to amuse my grand son, I hope John will accept my invitation to accompany me again.

Well that's all the news from South Yorkshire today, so I will bid you good by.

Regards,

BrianT.

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Posted
Rating:
Well I have had no one clamouring at my door with invites to show Knottworthy Magna anywhere else, so it looks as though it will be under a re-visit of the builders, longer, lower, more streamlined what ever. :roll:
Big saw, more wood, and builders foam, you will have to watch this space for the what ever bit??

I'll keep you all posted.

Tarrah for now,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
I've got my popcorn….

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Right , here we go, are you sitting comfortably, then I will begin:-
You may remember, Knottworthy originally looked like this at the river end:-

And now it looks like this:-

I am going to extend the base board by about 12", (300mm) to give a longer space to fit a station loop to accommodate a passing train of longer length on the station side.

This will probably mean lifting and replacing the existing platform, with a longer platform and its associated works.

On the factory side, the river and bridge will move to its right again into the corner, and to improve the shuntability of the factory, the two storage sidings will be lengthened to give more goods storage space.

To create a passing loop for the factory halt, the baseboard is to be widened at the river end only, and taper back to its original width at the engine shed end, this will allow a point to be fitted as the track leaves the trestle bridge and a parallel track to be laid to a point along the back edge.  This will possibly mean a hand made point at both ends of this new loop, to fit into the existing layout, unless Peco's offerings can be accommodated.

The halt will probably become more station like with a building for waiting passenger shelter.

I'm going to be busy, but I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Sounds like a nice plan, here's hoping the work goes smoothly.

Posted
Rating:
Here we go with today's partial rebuild of the baseboard extension, this has turned out to be more difficult than I imagined.  (Nowt new theer then)
I quickly realised that because the original baseboard was so strong, I had got used to being able to get hold of it anywhere to twist it or upend it whatever.  The 12" (300mm) extension, had when it is finished, to be able to be handled in the same way, which requires considerably more structural stiffening, ie weight.  So that has had to be taken into consideration.
As you can see below, 12" has been added to the length, this has been done by gluing and screwing a piece of 3mm MDF to the Station side, it has only been profiled to where the hill and tunnel starts to rise ,  where the land profile has to rise to to form the tunnel, this piece is still flapping about above the old base board side.

The new extension which will be a tunnel and river as the original, has been made wider by an additional 4" (100mm).   This side then tapers off to nothing, past the front of the factory to the plate-layers bothy, and here lies the problem, had I kept the base board the same size as the original, the new MDF would have been glued and screwed to the original side, but now it is to be spaced increasingly away as it heads towards the not yet constructed river, and it is here that a lifting hand will almost certainly be placed to lift the layout at this end for transport.

Here you can see the side tapering away to the opposite end.  The sides have two pieces of 21mm  pine to strengthen them.  Where the tapered end meets the original base board, the joint has been liberally covered in "No Nails" a builders grade mastic glue, and reinforced until the mastic sets with screws.

The new baseboard end has a high profile board ready for the squirt of builders foam that will form the new tunnel and hillside, and will be cut down to a suitable profile later, when I've built and placed the new tunnel entrances at either side.  The gap that you see at the moment, has to have a piece of 6mm MDF to fill it, with a slab of 50mm foam insulation from which the river will be carved.  You will have noted the corner gussets which will be fitted at all the 21mm timber joints to try and add the required stiffness.

And that folks completes tonight's  episode of the alterations.
Regards,
BrianT. 

Posted
Rating:
Hello Again, smee I'm afraid, I have been a little busy on the Knottworthy layout, you will have seen the start of the base board enlargement, with new framing and side pieces, and today I have been infilling the new extended frame ready to build upon it.
First a little more demolition to clear the decks, the factory has been removed, and the new base board pieces inserted to make way for the the new track on the factory side. 

At the station side, the platform has been removed, along with the shelter, signal box, station lights and bubble car, ready for the new station.

The very small passing loop has been lifted in readiness for a longer more useful loop, the tunnel portal has of course gone, ready for a new squirt of builders foam when I have built a new tunnel liner.

The new cosmetic side has been cut down to the baseboard top, towards where the tunnel entrance will be in readiness for the final shaping when the foam has been laid over the tunnel liner.

The new longer loop has been laid upto where the tunnel entrance will be.

The old curved section of track and the trestle bridge base, which I manage to recover from the first iteration, has been laid in position, and connected to the end of the station passing loop point, this has dictated where the new river Knott estuary will be, and ends at the start of a new passing loop for the factory halt.   The river will be marked out on the blue foam top and cut out again down to the under base, to form the river bed with its many coats of varnish.   This will allow a larger area for a shunting puzzle to be laid.

And that about winds up today's efforts.
Regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Glad to see it's coming along

Posted
Rating:
Looking forward to seeing how the squirt of builders foam works out! 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Not squirted yet Marty, still positioning the tunnel lining and cling film protection for where I don't want it to go, LOL.
Just read your thread about your ongoing project, it looks very good, well done.
Kind regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Zelda, its not coming along anywhere near Pomona, probably too hot for an 80 year old carrying a 6ft x 2ft lump of nothingness to manage. :lol:Thank you for your continued support.
Regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Well, that is quite a serious re-think, and you have done a great job.  In my head, everyone here gets it right first time and I'm the only one who sets out with a plan which gets changed, and then changed again!  So a big  :doublethumb for the re-modelling and the skill you have shown.  I do love the ideas!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
A little more work done to the layout upgrade, the new tunnel lining is in place on the extended base board.  The track return loop through the tunnel has been reinstated along with the trestle bridge deck, which luckily, I was able to lift as one piece and fix down to the spare piece of blue foam, forming the extended base board decking and the new estuary of the river Knott was drawn where the trestle bridge deck would pass across it.

The tunnel entrance at the station platform side is where the lengthened passing loop point  has been moved to giving an extra 12" of loop length.

The tunnel exit at the factory side is shown with the tunnel's roof fitted and sealed ready to accept the foam covering.  The river Knott estuary has been cut out of the blue foam and a plaster covering is in the process of being pasted on top of the raw cuts.  As you can see, the new river is to have larger waterfalls by stepping the foam cuts where it will join the foam hill side.

The bridge decking has had the river banks at each end recessed ready to accept the two stone piers, which have been cut from 2" x 1" softwood, covered in PVA to form a key, and while still wet, a covering of a polyfiller type plaster applied. 
The same technique has been used on the two tunnel portals, they have been set aside until the plaster covering has dried, then I hope to scribe a stone work pattern into the plaster, one is in its finished state with the plaster laid on, the second has only got its covering of PVA applied,

And now we come to the squirty foam which in this unpromising state, I hope will form a hillside.  Time will tell how much further work will have to be undertaken with a saw to finish off the hill , before the scribe'd stone tunnel portals and bridge piers can be fitted.

That's about it for tonight, we will have to see what the morning brings as far as the foam is concerned.

Regards,

BrianT.

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian,

Nice build. Coal bunker or towed flat car? 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hello Nigel, I presume you are referring to the detritus viewed out of my garage :lol:, I don't suppose you have a local council where you live, but what you see are two of our three waste bins, one for plastic and cans, and the other for any cardboard and paper type materials.  The third bin which is for general household waste stands near our house rear door.  Stood on end adjacent, seen from the garage, is a small trailer, which as I no longer tow a caravan, so don't have a tow hook any more, is redundant, and up for sale if anyone is interested, I suspect the shipping costs rule you out of the prospective customer list??? :roll:
Kind regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Morning has broken and a view of the foam shows its expanded somewhat.
A little more work done to the layout upgrade, the new tunnel lining is in place on the extended base board.  The track return loop through the tunnel has been reinstated along with the trestle bridge deck, which luckily, I was able to lift as one piece and fix down to the spare piece of blue foam, forming the extended base board decking and the new estuary of the river Knott was drawn where the trestle bridge deck would pass across it.

The tunnel entrance at the station platform side is where the lengthened passing loop point  has been moved to giving an extra 12" of loop length.

The tunnel exit at the factory side is shown with the tunnel's roof fitted and sealed ready to accept the foam covering.  The river Knott estuary has been cut out of the blue foam and a plaster covering is in the process of being pasted on top of the raw cuts.  As you can see, the new river is to have larger waterfalls by stepping the foam cuts where it will join the foam hill side.

The bridge decking has had the river banks at each end recessed ready to accept the two stone piers, which have been cut from 2" x 1" softwood, covered in PVA to form a key, and while still wet, a covering of a polyfiller type plaster applied. 
The same technique has been used on the two tunnel portals, they have been set aside until the plaster covering has dried, then I hope to scribe a stone work pattern into the plaster, one is in its finished state with the plaster laid on, the second has only got its covering of PVA applied,

And now we come to the squirty foam which in this unpromising state, I hope will form a hillside.  Time will tell how much further work will have to be undertaken with a saw to finish off the hill , before the scribe'd stone tunnel portals and bridge piers can be fitted.

That's about it for tonight, we will have to see what the morning brings as far as the foam is concerned.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Morning has broken, and the foam has expanded somewhat.

The foam has been carved roughly to shape using our 60 year ago in June wedding present bread knife, perfect for this job, a layer of polyfiller has been smoothed over the many imperfections in the foam.

The rear factory side exit from the tunnel is in place and waiting for the stone outlines to be scribed on its face, and the colour to be applied.  The foam is still active with pockets of it bursting through the harder outer surface as is evident in the flat region where I have placed the tip of the bread saw to point it out.

Slow progress and lots more to do I'm afraid, but that's it for tonight.

Regards,

BrianT.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.