Peco Electrofrog L/ H point

Posted
Rating:

Appears to be dead

Hi Chris.  When I replied to your “ cleaning before soldering “ it is just like me not to read the suggestion properly.I wrote/ meant to write? Cleaning the soldered joints. That is to prevent corrosion from occurring in future.
Best wishes Kevin  

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi All. I ordered a new Point from a South East London shop and it arrived this morning,I gently removed it from the packaging . I am delighted to report that when I offered up my straight edge to the point the right hand rail was straight as a die. On reflection, when I looked at the original point, it was clear to see with the “ Naked Eye “ that it wasn’t straight.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Old fashioned paint stripper or brake fluid that contains methylene chloride dissolves epoxy (as will a 50:50 mix of methylene chloride and methanol, although most of use do not have those chemicals to hand). Wear gloves when applying. You will however dissolve the sleepers as well. Make a note to self - use PVA for gluing down sleepers. A wet cloth overnight softens it up.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply. I have been able to reduce the lump significantly. So I won’t be needing nasty chemicals. When I offered up a two foot rule, on the baseboard,it looked okay.      I watched a video on soldering, I think that it was one of Gormos Tips, and before soldering the rails he used an old screwdriver to scratch the surface, and it made soldering that much easier without the fear of melting any sleepers. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  I am sorry to be a PITA, but, I have studied the wiring on the troublesome baseboard and cannot understand why it has short circuits, when another baseboard wired exactly the same way works faultlessly. I know that I have probably said this before, but, now I think that it is time I rewired it. Or could there be something that I am missing?I don’t really want to do that, but, it would seem that I don’t have another option . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Kevin

I've been in this place - where I can't see the forest for the trees.

Good advice from yourself.  Strip it down and rewire it.  You WILL find the problem.

Cheers   :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max. Thank you for your reply. After a slow start? It worked, then I had trouble with a Peco asymmetric Three way point, after replacing the three way point, with a L/H point it worked for a while, then more problems. The annoying thing, I copied another layout that works.  PS :off topic have you moved house yet?  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote: 
  PS :off topic have you moved house yet?  Best wishes Kevin 

Yep.  We Moved in September.

We're still opening boxes.   :oops:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.   Well done I hope that you have many happy years there . Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.