Peco Electrofrog L/ H point

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Appears to be dead

Kevin, exactly where does it stop? As I asked in Post 31  & 33 !

And going out of one of the sidings is a diversion, not converging.

and there are plenty of posts about adapting turnouts both in this forum & on the Net - just have to spend time searching…

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Kevin If you cant use the multimeter but want to eliminate the switch as the problem, un solder it and hard wire the frog first one way and test, then the other way and test. So first just twist the red wire from the bus to the frog wire, try running  a train through ( If it shorts rather than just not go through then throw the point and try again) Then do the same with the black wire from the bus and test. If both work fine then probably a duff switch, if not then a faulty point. It would help if we know, is the fault occurring from BOTH sidings on to the point ? Or just one siding ?
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt and Ron. And all interested parties. Thank you all. After it being brass monkey weather and the C/ H boiler not firing? I called the engineer, and after waiting all morning he turned up, and of course by that time the C/ H was working. So I Set about changing the DPDT, which due to an excruciating pain in my back took an age to do, I have changed the switch and connected up the wire in tube, after dinner and when the Co- Codamol have got to work I will solder the wires in place. And begin testing all over again. “ Watch this Space”.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I still think you may have a faulty slide switch. Most are rated at 300mA or less.

I was struck by your comment about wiring the bus through the switch. Or more correctly the other way round? Convention is to wire the two rails and the frog to a 3 pin switch (2 in, 1 out). That way you do not have to mess around with the bus when working on the turnouts. Sounds like a YouTube do it my way. In which case even if the switch is working you have no idea whether power is getting through. I know you are using WIT and the switch lever as the mechanism, separating the frog circuit from the turnout rails could be asking for trouble.

If you don't want to mess around trouble shooting (and you really do need a multimeter), get a new turnout, and follow the scheme outlined in a previous post - test as is, test modified for DCC, test installed.

Good luck with the tests. I can sympathise - just been through a week of in hospital testing, blood every 2 hours (out not in), every scan known to man. No food. Lost some weight through. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you again. The method that I am using was a tip from a deceased member, with a slight modification.The actual method was to “ solder two wires on both sides, at the point , and run one of each to the switch and the other one to the bus. Which does work, but, leaves “ more wires all over the place “ , I cut out the middle man. And it is the way I have been doing it with no problems, until now. I will resume testing later. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I still think you may have a faulty slide switch. Most are rated at 300mA or less.

I was struck by your comment about wiring the bus through the switch. Or more correctly the other way round? Convention is to wire the two rails and the frog to a 3 pin switch (2 in, 1 out). That way you do not have to mess around with the bus when working on the turnouts. Sounds like a YouTube do it my way. In which case even if the switch is working you have no idea whether power is getting through. I know you are using WIT and the switch lever as the mechanism, separating the frog circuit from the turnout rails could be asking for trouble.

Nigel

I've done it the same way as Kevin, Nigel.

You have to remember with WIT the switch can be some considerable distance from the point, so it's often the case that the bus is nearer the switch and requires shorter lengths of wire.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you. That is what I was saying “ more wires all over the place “. But I have changed the switch, I will see and inform everyone of the results, later. I kept blaming Bachmann pickups ( to myself) for the problem. One thing I:off topic  have learned is that the Bachman 08 Shunter is geared much lower/ slower than the Pannier Tank.:mutley Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Yet another reply. And yes I have wired up the DPDT switch and no it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference.I would have to be unlucky to get a dud switch but to get two would be a right PITA. I have again checked the wires that connect the stock rail to the switch rail, or whatever one calls it, and it is still secure.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
If loco stops on the point then it's no power.

The power is coming from the frog and appropriate stock rail

If it's not the switch (quite agree, unlikely to be two duff switches) then it;s got to be the stock rail.

Put something (coin, screwdriver, bit of rail) across the rails. Does the Powercab indicate a short?

It should do if there is power to that bit of the point.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, I will ask again, where does the loco stop on the turnout - there are 3 sections - moving blades, the fixed blades and the frog .

Your Comment "the method that I am using was a tip from a deceased member, with a slight modification. The actual method was to “ solder two wires on both sides, at the point , and run one of each to the switch and the other one to the bus."

So you solder two wires but run 3 ?
Don't you mean two wires from the stock rails to switch & the middle switch tag is wired to FROG ?

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Ron I thought that I answered that question, but, if I didn’t then I am sorry. The Loco stops on the frog 🐸.So it obviously is the frog or the frog 🐸 wiring, and that again would be down to me.February 2016 was the previous point wiring problem date, in the meantime I have had no problems, until now , what you were saying about a 12 volt globe, it would be handy if I could purchase a bayonet fitting, then that would be straightforward. I will carry on the good work tomorrow, fingers crossed.    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
The Loco stops on the frog 🐸.So it obviously is the frog or the frog 🐸 wiring, and that again would be down to me.
So it stops on the frog, not 'the point'   :thud

Only taken 51 posts  :shock:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Vindication for the pedants!    :lol:

It's a turnout or switch, not a point.

The points are rails.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Ok I get the point, some turnout for this topic !  Keep at it Kevin you will persevere !! Now I'm switching of and going to bed  
 :mutley :mutley :mutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:

The points are rails.
Not if you live in UK Max ………………………we like to be different !!!

Turnout ?  - possibly, sometimes - switch ? - no, those turn electric lights on and off (except in France where an "interupter" does that), or, in some cases, it means to "swap" or "exchange".

Point ? - either to indicate something with your "pointing" finger, the sharp end of something or a railway switch or turnout ………………………………….. :doublethumb

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:

The points are rails.
Look, we invented the railways, they're points, okay  :tongue :tongue :tongue

:mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter (and Ed)

If you look on the Peco box, it says "Turnout."

In the US, they will accept "switch."

In the vernacular, drivers have referred to it as, " going through the points" - that is to say traversing the point rails.

Over time, many have colloquially adopted this misnomer and it sadly has become part of the zeitgeist.

Hence the exemplar as described by Sol, above.

A similar phenomenon has taken place concerning the word "sleepers."  Originally, sleepers were rails laid below the ties (which keep the rails in gauge), but as iron rails came into common use, the need for sleeper rails disappeared and the ties were dubbed with the misnomer, "sleepers."

Interestingly in the US (where often criticisms of spelling and nomenclature abound), the word "ties" has survived against all odds.

Now, where's me tin 'at and flak jacket?    :lol:

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
As Ed says Max, we invented the darned things - we've just allowed "foreigners" to borrow them so they can get about.

Peco, supplying their "points" throughout the world, have had to accept that those same "foreigners" are not as well educated as we Brits so don't know the correct terminology ……………………

I'm not one to want to confuse "foreigners" so I'll refer to them as turnouts or switches (whichever you prefer) when speaking to said "foreigners but, in Yorkshire jargon, they'll remain points ………………… :cheers :cheers :cheers

Now - what di you say about tin hats ? ………………. :pedal

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
As Ed says Max, we invented the darned things - we've just allowed "foreigners" to borrow them so they can get about.

Peco, supplying their "points" throughout the world, have had to accept that those same "foreigners" are not as well educated as we Brits so don't know the correct terminology ……………………

I'm not one to want to confuse "foreigners" so I'll refer to them as turnouts or switches (whichever you prefer) when speaking to said "foreigners but, in Yorkshire jargon, they'll remain points ………………… :cheers :cheers :cheers

Now - what di you say about tin hats ? ………………. :pedal

:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Tha wot ladd ?

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.