Peco Electrofrog L/ H point

Posted
Rating:

Appears to be dead

Hi Ron.  Thank you again. I do like to watch a model Railway video, but, every time I clicked, the video wasn’t available. Now I know what you were referring to, I am certain that it would find a fault if I could figure out the wiring diagram . As far as power districts and multiple operators are concerned I am the only operator and four foot by fourteen inches, even doubling that with the fiddleyard I don’t know that power districts would work.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Thank you for your reply. I did have a similar problem on another one of my planks with four sets of points .Following suggestions, I found the fault, and I have wired this point that way ie, “ I wire the point to the bus “ 
And the “DPDT Slide switch to the bus and the frog “ . It may sound cumbersome but it usually works. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
As Petermac asked Kevin, "Coming which way does the "stop" occur ?"

If the toe of the point is connected to the adjacent piece of track with normal rail joiners, even relying on them for connectivity, I would expect a loco approaching the toe to continue onto the point, however you've wired the point.

Ed

But your not answering the question Kevin, where does the loco stop ???

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, using a multimeter

How to Use a Multimeter (with Pictures) - wikiHow       analog version
How To Use A Multimeter - iFixit Repair Guide     digital version

save the website details  and the page - that way you can access it any time

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Sorry I thought I did, when the Loco approaches the point at the frog end , it stops. The thing I don’t understand is why, as far as I know, everything is wired correctly, but obviously something is wrong somewhere.But, What, and Where are the burning questions ? All the tests, crude or not? Seem to suggest that the wiring is good . And it is causing me more sleepless nights than ever.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
So the loco will go onto the point when approaching from the toe and then stops at the frog, but the Powercab does not indicate a short ?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you. I have saved the first one,but, the second one gave me the “404” code not available.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Thank you. As strange as it sounds, no, but, when I swapped the red and black wires it did react.                Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
That proves your initial wiring is correct.

I'm tempted to say you have a problem between the switch rails and the frog rails.

I can't see any way around this except by lifting the point and maybe replacing it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ron.  Thank you. I have saved the first one,but, the second one gave me the “404” code not available.Best wishes Kevin 
OK then type it into the URL bar on your browser 
How To Use A Multimeter - iFixit Repair Guide

or   type this in
using a multimeter    and do some surfing

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The question is where does the loco actually stop? A soon as it touches the frog area which is switched by your slide switch?

Your words
"when the Loco approaches the point at the frog end , it stops"

do you mean from the direction from the toe/tiebar or from one of the diverging tracks ( frog end)?

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.   Thank you again. I have already lifted the point, I checked the stock rail wiring and it was sound. At the board joint the track is wired, the modification of wiring the stock rail to the switch rail is wired to the bus, the track beyond the point obviously is wired, and I have been busy with the IPA and a soft cloth cleaning the track. When the man from Peco rang back, as promised, I said it could be the point, “ no “ said he “ it is the switch “ and that is where he left it.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
OK Kevin, so you have insulated joiners on both exit frog rails, cut the links under the fixed blades & bonded blades to stock rails so where EXACTLY does loco stop ;  on the moving  blades between tiebar & the hinges, or the fixed blades between hinges & the black isolation in blades ( which represent the links under the bottom of the rails)  or the switched area of blades & frog ?

in the sketch, H means hinge/pivotting bit  in the blades

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron   Thank you. No towards the converging (convergence ?) tracks. In the other direction the Loco stops ? I forget where ? But, it is getting late for me, and I will check the running again tomorrow. Sorry to leave it there but this Young/Old Man? is really tired and making a lot of typos. Goodnight All. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I think you mean the diverging tracks when one becomes two,  that is the direction from tiebar to frog,  converging is when two tracks become one.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote: 
no “ said he “ it is the switch “ and that is where he left it.
Well he would say that :lol:

Try tomorrow running a loco, holding at 45%  or so at the track so that just the front two wheels are touching the track and see where it cuts out.

I think you've got a duff point, but now you've 'adapted' it you've got no real way of claiming it was defective in the first place.

I'm off to bed now as I have a Hospital appointment in the morning, but some of our Aussie mates might have more ideas,

Keep us all informed.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Unless the blades have come away from the tiebar, any electrical problem can be fixed by wire connections;  even if tiebar to blades are broken, they can be fixed with a PCB tiebar,
any turnout can be saved & reused.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you. Yes converging, as in “ converging junction “ or out of one of the two sidings. And that is what I don’t really understand. I will have another go, even if it means going out to buy another L/H point. And then investigate the fault with this one later.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed. Thank you.  Too true, but, if it is defective, I could only find that out by adapting it.  Unless you or any other members could tell me how?  I have already tried another Loco, a 57xx a faster running Loco and it stalled. Hospital appointments, don’t talk about them, I had four last week. Good luck Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. I never like to bin anything. But to all intents and purposes there is nothing wrong with it.  Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.