Preiser Figures - HO Scale

Posted
Rating:
#16085 (In Topic #1331)
Guest user
Today saw the arrival of 120 unpainted figures, luggage and pushbikes [x 12] - Preiser #16337 to go with the 36 seated figures, Preiser #16349

The figures do require a bit of scraping to remove flash.
 They take acrylics well, but I'd like to try enamels too.

Clear photos are a bit hard to come by online, so I've taken a few to give an idea. Lots of different builds as well as heights. Not all figures are shown.

Some are in bike-riding position, others are ready to receive the included backpacks, and some need to have their arms attached, allowing unique poses.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
This should keep you busy for a while ( to Friday I guess  :P )

A good range of postions, etc
What was the financial outlay if it is not impertinent to ask?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron I think it was about AU$26 + postage from Portugal  [eBay]
 That's for the 120 pack

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Can't ask better than that… do they do them in N scale?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes Marty - plenty in N too.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
These look good, Novice and I don't think they have the "small" look that some of the HO figures have.
I've managed to get the 2 sets of Dapol figures you wrote about, but have not been able to paint them.
Perhaps I can try doing them in 10 minute sessions.
Then I'll be on to these by 2010 :!:  :!:  :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The detail looks good and I particularly like the fact that there are figures with different builds.

Posted
Rating:
Mike

They are a lovely batch of figures, with loads of detail. It is nice to see some overweight people too, as they will add variety to a scene.  I am sure you know this already, but I find it quite helpful to give white or pale figures a wash of thinned black before i start painting.  It brings out all of the detail and helps with planning the paint job.

I hope you are going to give progress reports as you go along.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Preiser have an incredible range of prepainted figures for those lacking art skills.  They seem to have most things covered.  I bought some river birds like swans, geese and ducks the other day.  I couldn't paint them as well as they were already done.  Too fine, so I bought them.  Mike has an advantage here as he is an excellent artist.  I guess if you bought a couple of hundred of these unpainted figures it would improve your painting ability.

Posted
Rating:
Prepainted in N, then just touch up the ones that need it, sounds the goods to me. I'll have a look at the range.
cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Pre-painted are quite a bit more costly, that's why we have the unpainted ones.   My hands are almost as shaky as my eyes. I can't say I relish painting them, and they're being done on an 'as required' basis  :)

BobK thanks for the timely reminder. Your posts on painting them are very helpful. Since you posted that I've been experimenting with all sorts of underpainting - pink, brown, blue, green - a wide range of colours, aimed at roughly suiting each figure's needs depending on their clothing. Two coats of acrylic work better anyway, although it's a balancing job adding paint without clogging detail.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"After you," says the lonely old man to the gorgeous blonde.

She's painted with enamels, her aloof friend is acrylic, the bike rider is acrylic, with a blob of red added to the bike, and the blue lady is enamels.
 The man was done with my oil paints, thinned with turps. The plastic shows no ill effects from the turps, and I've done several more with oils, but I must have had less turps in the mixes, and they are taking forever to dry.

Mr Nolan was done with acrylics, and the green lady far right is enamels.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The enamel seems to have just a touch of glossiness about the dress, might be just the light, but I think I prefer the acrylics.
Beautifully done as always.
The Blonde - reminds me of our Scout Troop treasurer from years ago, Lorraine Powell, when someone said "The Blonde" everyone knew who you meant  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Great cameo, do you leave them out on the layout or pack them away after the photo?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty you've just named another  :D  :D

I did brush Dullcote onto them, and I know I missed a few spots.  Lesley bought me some enamels, and some weren't matt finish. The blue was high gloss. Another coating of Dullcote will probably fix it. I hate those fumes though, and always use it outdoors.
 They're still on the layout, held in place with blu-tack.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mike, the population is very well presented in a natural setting.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lorraine was always a favourite  :wink:

Blu-tack, you wouldn't know it, nice one.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Marty said

Lorraine was always a favourite  :wink:

…………..

Does  T  know about  your favourite  :?:  :wink:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It was some time ago, but I faily sure that T was/is aware…. The Blonde, alas, never was  8)   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
…that's how it tends to go.

You can see a fair lump of Blu-tack holding up the bike - it fell over not long afterwards. I actually painted that bit of Blu-tack to disguise it :roll:

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
a pleasure to look at as always,re the blue tack i have started to use
double sided sticky tape both sides of a bit of clear plastic
works quite well and is unobtrusive.
 :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.