The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Finally gettiing out of my system.

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Are the couplings the latest, narrow type couplings Terry ?  I can't really make out their width from the photos …… :roll:

It certainly seems an ideal alternative to Kadees which, whilst I do like them, aren't particularly unforgiving, especially  if you get the height slightly off.  They can also be quite awkward to fit to older stock.
Petermac -  I only have problems using Kadee on older locos - I run a mix of wagons & coach  brands &  some are years old & had no problems fixing Kadee - yes some take a bit of thinking !

Terry, a neat way of providing a cheap auto uncoupler & I guess it could be made into a delayed method as well like Dingham  & Spratt & Winkle.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello Peter. Yes the couplings are the modern narrow type. It is important to only use couplings where the hook/dropper cannot be attracted to the magnets and the Bachmann product is ideal. Bear in mind that once uncoupled the wagon cannot be pushed to another position as it will couple again so the magnets must be located where you wish to leave the wagon.
Thanks Sol.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Didn't Gormo have a mod on the loco with an upward angled bar to stop the hook dropping back down when pushed off the magnets for delayed uncoupling? Not sure how well it worked, but sounds a worthy basis for experimentation.

Something like this, but I'm not sure where on his rather large thread it can be found!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the explanation Terry.

It looks a very simple but effective method of auto uncoupling without all that "ramp" business!!

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
   delayed tension locks

Ron

Posted
Rating:
I realised that I had another Dapol wagon shown earlier in this thread, which I had bought before the pandemic from the model shop in Eastbourne.  I decided to give it the same treatment as the previous Dapol wagon, i.e. change the couplings and replace the coal load.  In an effort to cover the rather orange Dapol 'weathering', I overdid it with my Humbrol 'Dark Brown' spray can.  It's not really 'Dark Brown' more mid-brown I would say.  Anyway, here is the rather forlorn and weather beaten SR wagon…

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Sometime last year I purchased online this Bachmann wagon.  I don't even remember from whom I bought it.  It is an old model but arrived in the unopened packaging.  It has been sitting on my workbench and was opened for the first time last night.

A lovely wagon.  Imagine my pleasure and delight (not) when I turned it around to reveal this…

YES, IT'S A FRIDAY AFTERNOON WAGON!  Does that work the same way in China I wonder?  Despite being well and truly shafted I fortunately have the HMRS wagon transfers to hand to remedy the problem, although it's a job I didn't really need.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
It was a fairly quick job to replace the missing letters/numbers with HMRS SR wagon transfers.  They were fixed with a blast of matt varnish and here is the wagon awaiting further detailing…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
As mentioned a few posts ago, I have been converting the couplings to the Kirby Coupling by the addition of a bent staple to the hook/dropper.  This evening I also changed the couplings on the Hornby Terrier and for the first time was able to shunt some wagons without the need for 'the big hand to descend from the sky' for uncoupling purposes.  Actually it was quite an enjoyable experience to play trains for a change.  However, whilst happily depositing wagons all over the layout it became quickly apparent that: a) it would be nice to have the facility to leave two wagons on the coal siding instead of the one wagon which can currently be deposited between the magnets and the buffer stop, and b) there is a need to be able to deposit a wagon near the yard crane.  Currently there are no magnets at this location.  If I retrospectively fit magnets near the yard crane this will allow me to fulfill both of the above requirements, i.e. deposit two wagons together on the coal siding and deposit a wagon near the yard crane, although both of these actions could not be performed at the same time due to the short length of the siding.  It would be possible however to deposit one coal wagon and another wagon, say a container wagon, at the yard crane at the same time.  I may start fitting the magnets tomorrow following the same method shown earlier in this thread when retrospectively fitting the magnets beside the cattle dock.

In the meantime, here is the Terrier shunting the yard.  I note that some wag has sent the Queen Mary down with the pick-up goods…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:

In the meantime, here is the Terrier shunting the yard.  I note that some wag has sent the Queen Mary down with the pick-up goods…

Terry

Did you tell the distant station master off for doing that ???  :)

Ron

Posted
Rating:
What a bummer with that lettering.. or lack thereof. But you've made a nice job of making good.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Sometime last year I purchased online this Bachmann wagon.  I don't even remember from whom I bought it.  It is an old model but arrived in the unopened packaging.  It has been sitting on my workbench and was opened for the first time last night.

A lovely wagon.  Imagine my pleasure and delight (not) when I turned it around to reveal this…

YES, IT'S A FRIDAY AFTERNOON WAGON!  Does that work the same way in China I wonder?  Despite being well and truly shafted I fortunately have the HMRS wagon transfers to hand to remedy the problem, although it's a job I didn't really need.

Terry

It has been known for certain layouts to have stock with decals on just one side if the other is never visible!

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
It was a fairly quick job to retrospectively install two magnets beside the yard crane and make good the trackbed.  Here is the finished job…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I think you're telling fibs. I see no magnets.  ;-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
  Come on Pete, magnetism’s invisible!

:cool wink 
Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
A new item of rolling stock has just arrived at Farleigh.  I don't understand why this model passed me by previously.  Nevertheless it was purchased and is awaiting a trip to the weathering shop.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
That looks nice - shame about the region...................... :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Oi! Us suvverners resemble that remark.

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.