The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

Houston, we have a problem!  In my ignorance of all things Southern I assumed that Scalescenes' cream clapperboard, as included in the kit, would suffice for the station building, and I made the valance to match.  Yesterday the penny dropped.  Having done a small piece of research and painting the platform fencing a light stone colour, I then discovered that the cream clapperboard of the station building and valance was incorrect.  These too should be finished in the same light stone colour.  Fortunately, I always varnish the finished buildings with a matt varnish to protect the printer inks from moisture.  Accordingly, it was a simple job to give a wash of the light stone without fear of the ink running.  Here's the station building in its new colour…
Tonight I fixed part of the platform fencing in place.  Here it is together with the station building which has not been fixed down as yet…
Finally, here's a general view showing how the scene is coming together…
I'll have to check the angle of the signal.  It appears to be on the lean.
More soon,
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very nice Terry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Well rescued Terry and the ensemble looks very much the part, lovely in fact.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
That's a lovely "cozy" looking station area Terry.  I'd be very happy to wait for the next train there. Is the fire lit in the waiting room ?

p.s. Thanks for allowing Doug and I to exchange greetings over your fence ………………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Barry, Bill and Peter.  I must think about platform seats to makes Peter's wait more comfortable!  Jobs for today: finish the platform fencing, assemble the Dart Castings, SR running  in board (station name board) and give it a lick of concrete coloured paint, assemble the Ratio concrete lamps, and drill holes in the platform for all of these items.
In order to complete the running in board I require a name for the station.  I might resort to the simple option of scouring ex-LBSCR territory in my road atlas, looking for a village name with no known previous railway connection.

More later.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The signal was made vertical by slipping  some card under the base.  Strangely, it looks alright in real life but still appears to be leaning in the photos. Must be something to do with the angle from which they are taken.  The remaining fencing was glued in place, including on the station forecourt.
The running in board required a name so having consulted my road atlas, I decided on a name fairly local to my area… Farleigh.  The name was printed off courtesy of Scalescenes' station signs.  The ratio SR concrete platform lamps were then put together.  A fiddly job this but well worth the effort. A couple were enhanced with the addition of bullseye signs, again from Scalescenes.
So, this little scene is gradually coming together…
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Now just to see some rolling stock otherwise I may think it is a deserted station.....

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Luffley work, great to see it 'growing', and not one jarring colour anywhere.

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
An excellent job and great to see the scene develop and a great job on the valance - I know how tricky that is, even for a short section, so hats off to you!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Doug and Michael.
Ron, I'll find some suitable stock and post a picture.

Over the last couple of days I have been trying to source some appropriate platform benches.  I eventually discovered that Dart Castings sell some etched Southern Railway benches under their Shire Scenes brand. An online order has duly been sent.

Yesterday I decided to extend the grass embankment to cover the grey painted area at the front of the layout.  I'm not really sure why I didn't cover that area earlier.  Anyway, I think the scene looks much more natural now.  Maybe just a bit of tidying up required in one or two places where the grass has encroached upon the ballast.  Compare this photo to the last.

As you can see in the top left-hand corner of the photo above, I also added more grass to the edge of the roadway as it was looking a bit thin.  The excess has been vacuumed off since the photo was taken.
Job for today:  Make a start on the post and wire fencing bordering the roadway. See the 169th and 179th posts to recap.

Memo to self:  Put a few weeds around the building line to hide the very slight gap under the station building.

More soon.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
That looks much better with the grass rather than the grey Terry.  You'd often see scrubby looking unkempt grassland right up to the trackside.  All it needs now sadly, is some litter strewn amongst it …………………………..

A great scene you have there.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter. 
Litter.  Now that's an idea, although the layout is set in the 1930's, long before the me, myself, I era of today.

Regards,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Terry

Its about time the Terrier had a trip to the terminus methinks

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Barry, I'll see if the Terrier can pay a visit tomorrow.

Today the contractors moved in to start the roadside fencing.  My fencing jig, previously shown, worked a treat.  I was able to drill all the holes required, correctly spaced, within five minutes.  There's something quite satisfying about dabbing a blob of glue on the bottom of the post and plonking it in a hole.  Each post has a laser cut line to show the depth of planting.
The Model Railway Scenery fencing really is an excellent product. The wire supplied is very fine and passes through the laser cut holes quite easily.  When finished, the wire will require a lick of paint to remove the bright silver finish.
More soon.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Might you consider running the wire over the tip of a suitable permenent marker?

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
That's a good idea Doug.  However, I have already been at work with the paintbrush. I am only painting the side viewable from the front of the layout.

Regards,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
By public demand…

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
By public demand…
Not "public demand" !!!  I'd never, ever ask to see something that doesn't say either LNER or LMS on the side……………… :Red Card :Red Card :Red Card :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
:It's a no no:It's a no no:It's a no no
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.