The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

Hi Terry,

Old school landscaping, can't beat it. Darn sight cheaper than plaster cloth or HD closed density foam. Eco friendly as well..Good job!

I can still snag large brown paper bags at the local food emporiums for nothing, having taken evening classes in basket weaving I do the same using brown paper strips. Bit more robust than newspapers.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I use a similar idea but use "J Cloths" soaked in plaster which is, in effect, "mod rock".  The plaster is cheap as are the "J cloths" - can't remember what the rest of the world calls a "J cloth" …………………. :sad:

The main advantage is that it dries much faster than "papier maché".

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Even strips of paper towel laid over the card strips & painted with watery PVA sets hard as well.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all. Some interesting suggestions there.

Posted
Rating:
Work last night involved filling in screw holes on the baseboard surface with ready mixed plaster.  I continued the landscaping along the front of the layout in order to put some colour at the front of the layout and to frame the scene.  Of course, there will be grass/weeds/bushes on this low embankment…
More soon.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:

Whilst sheltering from the recent winter storm here and not wishing to get soaked to the skin on venturing down to the shed, I decided to stay indoors and get on with one of the buildings. The goods yard will have a coal merchant's office, so why look further than the Scalescenes' model?  I paid for the model some time back but it is now offered as a free download, so no excuse for you not to give it a go.
Here is the completed building in cruel close-up.  Added features: plastic downpipes, cast metal chimney and a track pin door knob. Two pieces of metal rod have been glued to the rear of the roof sign, which pass through corresponding holes in the roof, thus giving a more secure fixing than simply gluing the sign to the roof as advised in the instructions. 
Since the last post, the embankment at the front of the layout has been completed.  Next job is to give all of the landform a coat of paint.
More soon,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looks good, Terry. Well done

Did you make the brackets for the downpipes.

Cheers
Evan

Posted
Rating:
Hello Evan.  Thank you for your kind comments.
The kit has the brackets printed thereon, but I positioned the plastic downpipe over the join between the side and end walls.  This resulted in one side of the downpipe having no printed bracket showing.  Therefore, I touched it in with a black pen, so you are actually looking at half a printed bracket and half inked in. 
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:

The landform was painted today.  A couple of pictures to show the progress…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I'm waiting to see the local lads race their bikes down the gradient from the bridge…. and come a cropper !

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Never mind the local lads, you wait until you see the signalman descend the bank when he's late for work!

In reality the railway company would not have built the bridge over the line. Being a terminus they would simply build a road, on the level, beyond the buffer stops.

But this layout is entitled 'the art of compromise' and one needs a visual break for the fiddle yard.

Regards

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Today I decided to make a start on the flora and fauna.  Static grass is my preferred method and the initial covering was completed in a very short time.  Here is my weapon of choice…
Used for the first time today and very pleased with the result.
The fibres are Summer Mix from WWS.  Here is a link to their website.  Usual disclaimer applies.
I am currently doing a bit of research to identify a small LBSCR signal box to adorn the end of the platform above, or the area of ground just beyond the platform end.  I also have to squeeze in a water tank and the starter signal.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Terry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:

Thanks Barry.

Last night I decided to add some ground foam to represent weeds along the bottom of the bridge wing walls.  This has the added bonus of covering any gap between wall and baseboard.

Similarly, the foam was glue along the base of the platform.
Currently I am in the process of covering the embankments with a second layer of longer (6mm) grass.  I have also taken delivery of a Peco water tank which will be placed between the platform end and the signal.  Also arrived in the post yesterday was a Wills' yard crane which will sit somewhere near the goods shed, exact location to be decided.

More soon.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I notice you kept ballast away from the platform wall sides. here in South Australia ( https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/302093087477536632/ ) , ballast is right up to sides.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hello Ron.  It's much the same here in the UK.  However, I have previously had a problem, when ballasting the track, with the pva wicking up the front of the Scalescenes' platform and ruining same, despite varnish having been applied. I do intend fitting point rodding between the ballast and the platform, so hopefully that might distract the eye. I must admit that it would look better with the ballast right up to the platform. Has anyone any idea how this might be achieved without ruining the front of the platform? Would superglue work?

Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
I will say I had no problems with any Scalescenes papers wicking up as I had given them a few varnish coats before I applied the papers & after all finished.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry, use a thin layer of neat pva between the ballast already down and the platform and sprinkle the ballast on.

Like Sol, I didn't have a problem when I did mine.

Posted
Rating:

Thanks Nick, good idea.
Does anything scream Southern as much as this?  Ratio SR concrete hut.  Just a bit of weathering required methinks.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Dapol starter signal was installed. Beautiful model and easy to install.  However, during operation a loud screeching nose was heard.  This was alleviated by loosening the plastic nut which held the signal in place beneath the baseboard.  I wondered if it was possible to reduce the noise even more by inserting a soft washer between the plastic nut and the underside of the baseboard.  I found these in a drawer in the shed…
I cut a large hole in the centre of one of the smaller pads and inserted it in place. 
Quite honestly, I'm not sure that it make any difference but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and leave it in place anyway.
Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.