Foam track underlay - use/avoid?

Posted
Rating:
Having re-read this thread, I am faced with a small dilemma - cork or laminate floor underlay ?

I have found in the past, that cork underlay (2 or 3mm I think) isn't very good at absorbing sound and, once glued to the baseboard, doesn't offer much in the way of "cushioning" either.

For my "puzzle plank", should I continue using cork or try the (green) flooring underlay that appears to be similar to Sundeala in structure ?

Advice please Gentlemen (and/or Ladies).  :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Peter i use the fibre green laminate flooring underlay you will see it on my layout thread and i used it on my previous layout in the sheds. For noise suppression it is very good a lot better than cork.
as its fibre its easy to glue things to it and easy to dig bits out if you need to i actually cover the whole baseboard area with it.
If you were doing a modern image layout i dont think it probably best to use it as a modern image layout has distinct shoulders as the tracks are laid and maintained by machines whereas before  machines shoulders were less prominent and in a lot of places non existent.
I say this as it would not be easy to cut it nicely to form shoulders.
Another plus it is very cheap to buy and i affix to the baseboards with a heavy duty staple gun or panel pins in places awkward to get to. It is quite spongy so not as solid as sundaela but the cost of sundaela is very high.
Somebody did say they had a problem as they painted the surface after they had laid it but that may be because the paint shrunk and pulled i have never had any problems and i abuse it.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ive used the same stuff, from B&Q  I sealed both sides with a 3 parts water to 1 part Pva mix painted on and then glued to the baseboard (either hollow core doors or plastic ceiling panels) with neat Pva spread over. Never had a problem with it warping or lifting after 3 years in a damp workshop. As Brian says its easy to sculpt it and seams quiet even on the  hollow core doors with track pinned to them through the fibreboard
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys - I think I'll give the flooring underlay a go on the "puzzle" and see how it compares with cork.  :thumbs

Rest assured Brian, wherever I'm involved, it won't be modern image !!!

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.